Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 Released

Comments

• edited March 2019

@Doc_T said:
    Does anybody know how to delete unneeded audio files? When I record things with Zurich, Rosario or Durban and I do different takes each take is stored in the project file. In the end I have my three sweet takes and a file that containes half a GB of unneeded audio. How can I clean this up?

2 options

A. From the files app (faster)
    B. You can delete from Zurich’s import audio file listing (right swipe)

• edited March 2019

@Samu said:
    Don't know if this helps but one of the oldest tricks is to do a 'Save As' with a new name as that will only save the files actually used by the session. After that delete the old session. Don't know if it helps but it's worth a try...

This does not work here. A 'Save As' saves the same file including all (unused) audio that was in the source file.

@LucidMusicInc said:
    A. From the files app (faster)
    B. You can delete from Zurich’s import audio file listing (right swipe)

A. How do you access sound files that are stored within the gadget project file with the files app on iOS?
    B. How do you access sound files that are stored within the gadget project file from the Zurich import audio dilalogue?

How do you determine which file is used in your project and which isn't?

• There’s a bit of a tedious workaround:

1. Open another project or create a new one,
    2. load Zurich, press import file, browse to the project folder which contains the files you want to delete,
    3. enter the audio/recorded folder and delete the files you don’t need.

You have to pay attention not to delete a file that you need, so for precaution first make a copy of the project using “save as”.

• edited March 2019

I actually do not get this to work. When I come to the import window it shows me files in my documents folder and i can choose 'import from dropbox', 'import from audiocopy' and 'import from AudioShare'.

How do you browse files that are stored within a gadget project file?

(And how do you know which one of them is used in your project?)

• edited March 2019

@Doc_T said:

Don't know how to do it on iOS but on MAC open the Gadget project in Finder with the 'show package content' command. Browse audio.

@Doc_T said:
    (And how do you know which one of them is used in your project?)

In the right lower corner of the audio editor window of Zurich/Durban/Rosario you can read the file name of the audio file in use.

Procedure to purge audio files / recordings that are not used in your project:

Write down all takes that are used in the Gadget project. Go to finder and delete all audio files that are not used from your project file package. Exit the project and open it in Gadget. Resave.

That reduced file size from 500MB down to 80MB. 'purge audio' should be a command within Gadget...

• @Doc_T said:

When you tap import inside the Zurich editor you'll see a list of files and folders. You'll notice that folders have a .gdproj2 extension.

Find the folder with your project file name e.g. "my song.gdproj2" tap it, enter the "audio" folder and then the "recorded" folder.There you'll find all files that you have recorded. Then you just need to tap the three dots next to the file you don't need and select "delete" from the menu.

• Sorry for dumb question but how do you sync AUM with Gadget? I press play on Gadget and it doesn’t start no matter what I do.

• edited March 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Sorry for dumb question but how do you sync AUM with Gadget? I press play on Gadget and it doesn’t start no matter what I do.

AUM can't receive MIDI Clock, and Gadget can't send it. Make AUM the clock master and let Gadget receive.
    You can't have everything on iOS.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Sorry for dumb question but how do you sync AUM with Gadget? I press play on Gadget and it doesn’t start no matter what I do.

If you have Audiobus 3, let it drive the clocks for both. To do this, create an AB3 lane for both Gadget and AUM. Turn on link in all the app. Now, whenever you press the AB3 play button in its palette, it will start both AUM and Gadget.

• @Tones4Christ said:

If you are using a controller, map the play button in both Gadget and AUM to the same button on your controller, this would take care of starting them together, you can then use link to keep them in sync.
    If you are not using a controller then MIDI Clock is probably the easiest thing.

People have said that the current beta of AUM has Link Start/Stop, once that comes out you'll be good with using just link and the on screen play button in AUM.

• Sweet! Thanks all for such quick response!

• It just struck my mind...
    The Korg MicroKorg is a DSP based VA synth so what If Korg would resurrect it as their first AUv3 synth for iOS?

I've been fingering the MicroKorg S quite a lot and every time I leave the store with a nope, that can be done in software on almost any current computing device...

It would also make a great addition to Gadget :)

• @Samu said:
    It just struck my mind...
    The Korg MicroKorg is a DSP based VA synth so what If Korg would resurrect it as their first AUv3 synth for iOS?

I've been fingering the MicroKorg S quite a lot and every time I leave the store with a nope, that can be done in software on almost any current computing device...

It would also make a great addition to Gadget :)

Oh man, that would be brilliant, but Korg sells boatloads of those still. I feel the same way. Want one but can't justify it.

• @branis said:
    When you tap import inside the Zurich editor you'll see a list of files and folders. You'll notice that folders have a .gdproj2 extension.

ok. The folder was empty, since I store all my projects on iCloud since I work on the same projects on iPad and on my Mac. I have manually copied a Gadget project into the documents folder and now I see a folder and it works as you describe it. Thanks alot. Still a purge function would be useful.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

+1 for a project purge function.

• @wim said:

and another +1

• @R_2 said:

@wim said:

and another +1

I’ve been lobbying for better file management since the first version of Gadget 2... years ago!

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@R_2 said:

@wim said:

and another +1

I’ve been lobbying for better file management since the first version of Gadget 2... years ago!

And another +1 here

• Question of the day: How does one change the chord of the chord trigger in the menu under the scale knob in the lower left corner of the gadget interface?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@Doc_T said:
    Question of the day: How does one change the chord of the chord trigger in the menu under the scale knob in the lower left corner of the gadget interface?

You don’t. The chords are fixed by the scale type and root. As far as I know, you have no control over the type, inversion, etc.

For the modal scales, I think they’re whatever “7th” chord (Major 7th, minor 7th, dominant, diminished) corresponds to the root Note you play. I’m not sure for other scales.

• @supadom
    Hello, has anyone managed to midi learn
    the knob controllers on the akai mpk mini 1st gen
    inside Korg Gadget ?
    I thought they would respond but they don’t.
    Any clues ?

• @wim said:

@Doc_T said:
    Question of the day: How does one change the chord of the chord trigger in the menu under the scale knob in the lower left corner of the gadget interface?

You don’t. The chords are fixed by the scale type and root. As far as I know, you have no control over the type, inversion, etc.

For the modal scales, I think they’re whatever “7th” chord (Major 7th, minor 7th, dominant, diminished) corresponds to the root Note you play. I’m not sure for other scales.

I'm never using the chord function for this reason.
    And I wish the keyboard would always default to the chromatic scale when adding a new gadget. :neutral:

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@Doc_T said:

And I wish the keyboard would always default to the chromatic scale when adding a new gadget. :neutral:

No no no. I always want the keyboard to be in the current scale. I’d be so pissed if it always reverted to chromatic.

• @Eclipxe said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@Doc_T said:

No no no. I always want the keyboard to be in the current scale. I’d be so pissed if it always reverted to chromatic.

I’d be equally pissed. On another topic, perhaps it’s the new update, perhaps it’s something else, but I’m really getting along with Gadget these days. Not always been the case

But, and I’ve never heard anyone mention this which is shocking, is there a reason that editing velocities has to feel like DRIVING A SEMI TRUCK???!!??

I mean @davis_korgrd this velocity editing interface is laggier than a dial up internet connection. And it’s always been like that. Please spare us in the future and make this properly smooth and responsive.

• @db909 said:
    I mean @davis_korgrd this velocity editing interface is laggier than a dial up internet connection. And it’s always been like that. Please spare us in the future and make this properly smooth and responsive.

It’s a shame Gadget is so basic when it comes to velocity input.
    There’s a huge variety of velocity layers in Darwin/Milpitas/Glasgow/Salzburg, etc. But hardly anyone hears those with all notes default at 100 :s
    and I have to edit those velocities, one . . . by . . . one . . .

• @R_2 said:

@db909 said:

There’s a huge variety of velocity layers in Darwin/Milpitas/Glasgow/Salzburg, etc. But hardly anyone hears those with all notes default at 100 :s

The velocity editing gets super annoying too when there are multiple notes on the same step.

Only way to edit velocities then is to use the + / - button because if one 'draws' on the velocity lines in the automation area all velocities on the step get changed making it very tedious to do velocity ramps on for example the snare-sound in London.. (I end up duplicating the track and why is there no way to copy & paste of note-events between tracks/patterns in Gadget?!?!?!).

I'm tired of posting piano-roll suggestions to the Korg Forum as I feel the posts there are mostly ignored?!
    And creating a new 'request' and pointing to a 2 year old thread feels like it mehhhhh...

And not being able to set the default velocoty for notes that are either played using the on-screen keys or drawing onto the grid is quite annoying too.

Oh well, I'll most likely get the new Sega and Taito Gadgets when they drop :)

• @Samu said:

@R_2 said:

@db909 said:

The velocity editing gets super annoying too when there are multiple notes on the same step.

Only way to edit velocities then is to use the + / - button because if one 'draws' on the velocity lines in the automation area all velocities on the step get changed making it very tedious to do velocity ramps on for example the snare-sound in London.. (I end up duplicating the track and why is there no way to copy & paste of note-events between tracks/patterns in Gadget?!?!?!).

I'm tired of posting piano-roll suggestions to the Korg Forum as I feel the posts there are mostly ignored?!
    And creating a new 'request' and pointing to a 2 year old thread feels like it mehhhhh...

And not being able to set the default velocoty for notes that are either played using the on-screen keys or drawing onto the grid is quite annoying too.

Oh well, I'll most likely get the new Sega and Taito Gadgets when they drop :)

Ha yeah that’s right, I almost forgot about the multiple notes on a step issue. Anyways, I saved you the trouble, gave em some hell on the support forum. I mean the lag is absolutely atrocious and uncalled for at this point in development and with everything else working so smoothly. Egregious error

• Hello, has anyone managed to midi learn
    inside Korg Gadget ?
    Any clues ?

• edited March 2019

@Johnba said:
    @supadom
    Hello, has anyone managed to midi learn
    inside Korg Gadget ?
    Any clues ?

No problem. Haven’t used both in a while but just hook it up, tap function in synth view. Then on your right hand side highlight the parameter you want from the list and more the encoder. Done. Works for me.

If this is not what you get maybe there’s something wrong with your mpk? Does it work with other apps?

• Oh thank you so much supadom,
    I reuploaded the OG presets of the akai mpk mini via the Editor
    and it all worked back again like a charm!

Aaaaaaah!

(Sigh relieved of the immature and shameless Ol’ appaholic who chose hiding his lazyness throughout a bombard of alarmed posts on social media )