Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Maschine MK3 (or studio)

Do you own?

What do you use it for?

How do use it in your set up as far as in conjunction with iOS or hardware?

Do you utilize Maschine for sampling or the audio interface aspect in any way?

Does Maschine chop to pads easy?

Is it able to time stretch short loops or phrases within a octave?

I am looking at potential purchase.

I guess it will be for the “extras” and details of songs.

For instance, vocal phrase, chords, stabs, FX, drops, and complimentary sounds.

The bulk of tracks will be done in other hardware of software.

Thanks y’all

Comments

• I don't own it, but last 3 weeks I google heavily to choose between mpc,push2,maschine.
    Maschine is out for not supporting aftertouch at all ,plus

you can chop to pads easily and get as many as you like , but only for keyboard mode, meaning that if you want each pad having dedicated parameters you are limited to 16 slices.
    On every 'vs' thread I found ,everyone agreed that maschine has great sound library browser and kontakt libraries are top.

• Check out Loopop videos he is a good source for info and comparisons with Push 2 etc.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Do you own?

I haven't used the Studio, but the Mk3 is great.

@RUST( i )K said:

What do you use it for?

I use it as an audio interface as I don't have a dedicated one, so even when I'm not using it as a controller it's plugged in - powering monitors and with guitars, iPads etc. connected in. I'll either sample the audio in if I'm using Maschine DAW, or just as an interface for recording into Reason.

@RUST( i )K said:

Brilliantly. I load a sample in, and then use the option that allows me to hit each pad in turn as the samepl plays, adding a start marker to each pad. You can then zoom in and edit each pad using the on-screen display for precise editing.

Komplete is superb, even the basic version you get with the controller.

• T4HT4H
    edited March 2019

I own both studio and mk3. For my needs I like the Mk3 better. Smaller footprint, audio interface, and better price (new). It’s (Standalone) workflow is gorgeous. It’s a very well thought out, no need for a DAW, beatmaking ecosystem which is great, and when paired with the kontrol keyboard the experience goes even deeper. The NKS system is heaven on earth for finding that ‘right sound’. 3rd party companies are also adding integration for non traditional nks vsts such as nexus etc. And Being able to scroll down a menu and preview sounds without playing a key is lovely. It’s also nearly mouseless once u learn it. However, I don’t like introducing a DAW into the workflow until I’m done making the beat, kinda like a BM3 for the beat and then to Auria Pro for mixing etc kinda workflows. But everyone has their own methods that work for them.

• my ranking

ableton and push are the best in terms of capabilities. midi routing audio routing ... etc ..

Maschine mk3 is better than studio in almost everyday, but I wouldn't go back into the maschine world if I had to choose between Maschine and Ableton.

stay away from the studio.

(Maschine jam is a cool controller for Ableton though, strumming, and fader control with the strips...)

• edited March 2019

had them all with the exception of the mk3, sold them all.
    the mk3 is nice, as a controller it's what the mk1 should have been imho, but the software is still not up to par for composing anything but four on the floor beats with little variation in timing and structure without having to use logic or ableton live to take care of arrangement. The sample library that it comes with is nice but I would never by a sampler or sequencer for the library it comes with as if the library was actually what I was looking for there is far better out there. My Focus would be the sampler, sequencer and compositional prowess and again there is better available elsewhere. The best thing to do is download all of the manuals of the beat machines that are out and compare the sequencers and sampler capabilities to what you find in the mashine manual, the difference is stark.
    Lastly it won't even come close to being the hub you want for all of your other hardware.

• MK3 is also USB powered whereas Studio requires a power supply. I have an Mk2 and if I was upgrading, I would pick up a used MK3 that can be had for around $450 USD.

Ableton + Maschine is best combination. My Push1 is used less because of other controllers and mostly because I can do more with Touchable Pro (wirelessly).

• I'm a big fan of the MK3 myself, it's pretty much the best groovebox available if you don't mind using the computer to power it. The amount of plug ins and samples you get included is excellent. I find the MK3 to be a lot more flexible than the Studio was, in a much smaller footprint too. I use mine occasionally for recording and chopping things up, it's easy to do and sounds decent as well. As other people have mentioned, it's NOT a DAW and I wouldn't use it for composing full tracks myself. But for jamming out really solid ideas and coming up with loopy material, it's amazing and can be done completely from the hardware.

Here's a review I did of it if you're interested:

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm a big fan of the MK3 myself, it's pretty much the best groovebox available if you don't mind using the computer to power it. The amount of plug ins and samples you get included is excellent. I find the MK3 to be a lot more flexible than the Studio was, in a much smaller footprint too. I use mine occasionally for recording and chopping things up, it's easy to do and sounds decent as well. As other people have mentioned, it's NOT a DAW and I wouldn't use it for composing full tracks myself. But for jamming out really solid ideas and coming up with loopy material, it's amazing and can be done completely from the hardware.

I watched this before but need to watch it again, so thanks for then and now :)

• I have a MK 3 myself but use it in tandem with an Ableton Push 2. I don't use Maschine for sequencing VSTs, just drums, and I sequence the drum patterns I create in Maschine with Live.

I like things in that way as Maschine is virtually a DAW in it's own right and it's good to delineate roles. Plus Ableton is far more CPU efficient when utilising plugins that are multithreaded.

Ref MK 3 Vs Studio, I wouldn't have a valuable opinion due to the way I use Maschine but from the reviews I read when I was considering upgrading to MK 3, Studio seems to be lacking some features until it too gets updated (if it ever gets updated).

• I find sequencing and song building really good in Maschine, plus you can launch and jam sections via the controller. Only thing stopping me from using it as a DAW is the lack of proper audio tracks.

• Would be nice to have an update to iMaschine 2.. Sure would make life easier to get all this great iOS stuff onto the Maschine desktop (midi and audio)...

• What about software and sounds included?

How are they?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Check out Loopop videos he is a good source for info and comparisons with Push 2 etc.

His fault I am making this thread...love him

• @MonzoPro said:
    I find sequencing and song building really good in Maschine, plus you can launch and jam sections via the controller. Only thing stopping me from using it as a DAW is the lack of proper audio tracks.

So what do you do ?

• @jonmoore said:
    I have a MK 3 myself but use it in tandem with an Ableton Push 2. I don't use Maschine for sequencing VSTs, just drums, and I sequence the drum patterns I create in Maschine with Live.

I like things in that way as Maschine is virtually a DAW in it's own right and it's good to delineate roles. Plus Ableton is far more CPU efficient when utilising plugins that are multithreaded.

Ref MK 3 Vs Studio, I wouldn't have a valuable opinion due to the way I use Maschine but from the reviews I read when I was considering upgrading to MK 3, Studio seems to be lacking some features until it too gets updated (if it ever gets updated).

So push is for ? Synths and Bass?

• @kobamoto said:
    the mk3 is nice, as a controller it's what the mk1 should have been imho, but the software is still not up to par for composing anything but four on the floor beats with little variation in timing and structure without having to use logic or ableton live to take care of arrangement. The sample library that it comes with is nice but I would never by a sampler or sequencer for the library it comes with as if the library was actually what I was looking for there is far better out there. My Focus would be the sampler, sequencer and compositional prowess and again there is better available elsewhere. The best thing to do is download all of the manuals of the beat machines that are out and compare the sequencers and sampler capabilities to what you find in the mashine manual, the difference is stark.
    Lastly it won't even come close to being the hub you want for all of your other hardware.

Not wanting to be hub

Waiting for next incarnation of Oktatrack for that.....🙈

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm a big fan of the MK3 myself, it's pretty much the best groovebox available if you don't mind using the computer to power it. The amount of plug ins and samples you get included is excellent. I find the MK3 to be a lot more flexible than the Studio was, in a much smaller footprint too. I use mine occasionally for recording and chopping things up, it's easy to do and sounds decent as well. As other people have mentioned, it's NOT a DAW and I wouldn't use it for composing full tracks myself. But for jamming out really solid ideas and coming up with loopy material, it's amazing and can be done completely from the hardware.

Loved your vid btw

• @kobamoto said:

What are you using these days as hub? Octa

• @RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I find sequencing and song building really good in Maschine, plus you can launch and jam sections via the controller. Only thing stopping me from using it as a DAW is the lack of proper audio tracks.

So what do you do ?

I use Reason, and the MK3 as a controller. All the Komplete stuff is available as VST’s, and you can even host Maschine itself inside Reason.

I’m running a 7 year old laptop, so I usually record the VST’s as audio, rather than MIDI and then delete them before loading the next one. Keeps CPU strain down.

I still do stuff in Maschine though - it’s the best thing I have for making beats and chopping samples.

• @MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

So what do you do ?

I use Reason, and the MK3 as a controller. All the Komplete stuff is available as VST’s, and you can even host Maschine itself inside Reason.

I’m running a 7 year old laptop, so I usually record the VST’s as audio, rather than MIDI and then delete them before loading the next one. Keeps CPU strain down.

I still do stuff in Maschine though - it’s the best thing I have for making beats and chopping samples.

I would be ore for samples like vocal/fx/stabs....

sync well?

• edited March 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

So what do you do ?

sync well?

Yeah perfectly.

Good for vocal samples, you can chop up a long phrase to pads, and then trigger them straight into Reason either as audio or MIDI.

The MK3 is well built too, proper bit of kit.

• @MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

So what do you do ?

sync well?

Yeah perfectly.

Good for vocal samples, you can chop up a long phrase to pads, and then trigger them straight into Reason either as audio or MIDI.

@MonzoPro Does the Maschine software have Ableton Link ?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

So what do you do ?

sync well?

Yeah perfectly.

Yeah, works with Link, the controller works with Ableton too.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:

So what do you do ?

sync well?

Yeah perfectly.

Yeah, works with Link, the controller works with Ableton too.

Cheers that’s cool.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@jonmoore said:
    I have a MK 3 myself but use it in tandem with an Ableton Push 2. I don't use Maschine for sequencing VSTs, just drums, and I sequence the drum patterns I create in Maschine with Live.

It's simply a case that Ableton is hard wired to my brain and I use a lot of bespoke Max for Live devices (especially MIDI step sequencers) as I've been a long term user of Max too.

I love Maschine for drum programming most all because I love the feel of the pads. I multi out of the Maschine VST so I can mix the individual percussion sounds in Ableton.

I'm all for mixing things up hence me using iOS devices, but I also use FL Studio within Live as a VST, the brilliant OS X step sequencer Numerology and have recently integrated VCV Rack into my workflow (although for the moment I prefer Softube Modular). It's not about using all the options at once, but I've always found switching things up as a brilliant way of not falling into old habits and that way creative exploration can take you to new places.

Ableton is my hub, but other than that anything goes. I'm even seriously considering integrating Bitwig into my setup as I love it's modulation options. v3 of Bitwig looks really compelling, with it's new modular toolset. I think of Bitwig more as an instrument than a DAW!

• @jonmoore said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@jonmoore said:

It's simply a case that Ableton is hard wired to my brain and I use a lot of bespoke Max for Live devices (especially MIDI step sequencers) as I've been a long term user of Max too.

I love Maschine for drum programming most all because I love the feel of the pads. I multi out of the Maschine VST so I can mix the individual percussion sounds in Ableton.

I'm all for mixing things up hence me using iOS devices, but I also use FL Studio within Live as a VST, the brilliant OS X step sequencer Numerology and have recently integrated VCV Rack into my workflow (although for the moment I prefer Softube Modular). It's not about using all the options at once, but I've always found switching things up as a brilliant way of not falling into old habits and that way creative exploration can take you to new places.

Ableton is my hub, but other than that anything goes. I'm even seriously considering integrating Bitwig into my setup as I love it's modulation options. v3 of Bitwig looks really compelling, with it's new modular toolset. I think of Bitwig more as an instrument than a DAW!

Interesting.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@kobamoto said:

mostly ableton, then the mpc

• @kobamoto said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@kobamoto said:

mostly ableton, then the mpc

MPC LIVE?

Me thought you used the Octa?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Check out Loopop videos he is a good source for info and comparisons with Push 2 etc.

@MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Do you own?

I haven't used the Studio, but the Mk3 is great.

@RUST( i )K said:

What do you use it for?

I use it as an audio interface as I don't have a dedicated one, so even when I'm not using it as a controller it's plugged in - powering monitors and with guitars, iPads etc. connected in. I'll either sample the audio in if I'm using Maschine DAW, or just as an interface for recording into Reason.

@RUST( i )K said:

Brilliantly. I load a sample in, and then use the option that allows me to hit each pad in turn as the samepl plays, adding a start marker to each pad. You can then zoom in and edit each pad using the on-screen display for precise editing.

Komplete is superb, even the basic version you get with the controller.

@T4H said:
    I own both studio and mk3. For my needs I like the Mk3 better. Smaller footprint, audio interface, and better price (new). It’s (Standalone) workflow is gorgeous. It’s a very well thought out, no need for a DAW, beatmaking ecosystem which is great, and when paired with the kontrol keyboard the experience goes even deeper. The NKS system is heaven on earth for finding that ‘right sound’. 3rd party companies are also adding integration for non traditional nks vsts such as nexus etc. And Being able to scroll down a menu and preview sounds without playing a key is lovely. It’s also nearly mouseless once u learn it. However, I don’t like introducing a DAW into the workflow until I’m done making the beat, kinda like a BM3 for the beat and then to Auria Pro for mixing etc kinda workflows. But everyone has their own methods that work for them.

@RubenDari said:
    my ranking

ableton and push are the best in terms of capabilities. midi routing audio routing ... etc ..

Maschine mk3 is better than studio in almost everyday, but I wouldn't go back into the maschine world if I had to choose between Maschine and Ableton.

stay away from the studio.

(Maschine jam is a cool controller for Ableton though, strumming, and fader control with the strips...)

@nondes said:
    MK3 is also USB powered whereas Studio requires a power supply. I have an Mk2 and if I was upgrading, I would pick up a used MK3 that can be had for around $450 USD.

Ableton + Maschine is best combination. My Push1 is used less because of other controllers and mostly because I can do more with Touchable Pro (wirelessly).

@Tarekith said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Tarekith said:

I watched this before but need to watch it again, so thanks for then and now :)

@RajahP said:
    Would be nice to have an update to iMaschine 2.. Sure would make life easier to get all this great iOS stuff onto the Maschine desktop (midi and audio)...

What if any other hardware do you use this with and how do?

Thanks

Glad to hear about Link as well.

Would like to know about details on the software and sounds you get with it as well as the Xfer of sounds from the app?