Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BANK SELECT via MIDI...iOS SYNTHS.

1234568»

Comments

• edited August 2018

@MikeyP said:
    Pet Peeve: Moog Model D. If you edit a preset and save it, the app sticks the new preset right after the one you used to make it from, bumping all other patches in that bank up one. Causing you to have to change any references to any patches after that.

I just figured out how to create a user bank just now but does anyone know if that messes the bank numbers? It pouts the new bank in alphabetical order with the others.

Hmmm. That's not good. :(

Maybe we can send a Bat signal to @GeertBevin , see if he's aware of this?

• Actually I just realized I was wrong about patches- its like the banks; its also putting them in alphabetical order. Same issue tho. Unless one names their new patches "z01, z02" LOL

• Worse than the fact that there appears to be no mechanism for re-ordering patches other than renaming them... there appears to be no way to move a patch to another bank. So I created a new bank for my custom patches but I have no obvious way to move the ones I already created in there, nor to "save as new preset" on anything existing and direct it to a specific bank: it only ever saves it in the same bank.

• A few additional iOS synths with functioning MIDI PC. If any of these are already listed, I missed them and apologize.

KQDixie - select the cart (cartridge) in the synth, then MIDi PC will change the patch within that cart. Set LSB and MSB to off

DXI - Doesn’t have banks or cartridges. Use PC to send MIDI PC to it and set MSB and LSB to off

Mood - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Zeeon - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Kaspar - works with Bank Select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

Kauldron - works with band select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

• Digital D1 now supports MSB Bank Change! 🎉

Demonstrated here via Ableton to send PC & MSB

• @analog_matt said:
    Digital D1 now supports MSB Bank Change! 🎉

so awesome! thank you!

If only more developers would follow suit. It's one of the most glaring (and surprising) omissions from ios plugins.

• @analog_matt that's absolutely perfect, huge thanks for this...

• edited November 2018

@palm said:
    so awesome! thank you!

If only more developers would follow suit. It's one of the most glaring (and surprising) omissions from ios plugins.

Agreed, The omission of this is a deal-breaker for me as far as using an app in my Live setup.

• Gutted that iMono/Poly still hasn't fixed it's numerous Midi bugs.

The inability to program change between Banks is a particular frustration, especially as Korg itself offers a second bank as an IAP.

• edited March 2019

Not sure LayR ever got a mention here...

LayR responds to Bank select. In fact it's entire preset filing system is based on MIDI banks. Not only that but it also gives you the choice of MIDI message to use for bank select, MSB or LSB.

Each indidividual instrument responds to Bank Select on it's MIDI channel and there's a global channel ( defaulting to 16 but user assignable) that selects from banks of Multi-Timbral performance presets.

• I can’t believe prog change isn’t a core feature for all synth apps - they seem to ignore live players!

I especially want synthmaster 1 and neo soul keys to recognise these messages via midi.

• Just a note for all the people asking for preset/program change control for apps via MIDI - latest version of audiobus, currently in beta testing, is able to save user presets of AU plugins and load specific one via MIDI. So you don't need to ask every developer of your favorite app to implement it, if it's AU, you can change presets via MIDI. Big up for Audiobus!

• Unless you don’t use Audiobus. All my apps are hosted by AUM and controlled by midi designer. Massive keyboard capability from this, 3 keyboards, use live every week. How does audiobus assist me in this set up?

@skrat said:
    Just a note for all the people asking for preset/program change control for apps via MIDI - latest version of audiobus, currently in beta testing, is able to save user presets of AU plugins and load specific one via MIDI. So you don't need to ask every developer of your favorite app to implement it, if it's AU, you can change presets via MIDI. Big up for Audiobus!

• Then wrote developer of AUM to let him know this is an important feature for users. I did it already, but one voice is often not enough.

But for what you mentioned, I think you can use Audiobus too as it supports standard MIDI as well.

@rhaley said:
    Unless you don’t use Audiobus. All my apps are hosted by AUM and controlled by midi designer. Massive keyboard capability from this, 3 keyboards, use live every week. How does audiobus assist me in this set up?

@skrat said:
    Just a note for all the people asking for preset/program change control for apps via MIDI - latest version of audiobus, currently in beta testing, is able to save user presets of AU plugins and load specific one via MIDI. So you don't need to ask every developer of your favorite app to implement it, if it's AU, you can change presets via MIDI. Big up for Audiobus!

• Thanks, I’ll take a look to see if audiobus can replace AUM. I have requested prog change also from AUM as you say as It would eleviate the apps themselves needing that feature.

@skrat said:
    Then wrote developer of AUM to let him know this is an important feature for users. I did it already, but one voice is often not enough.

But for what you mentioned, I think you can use Audiobus too as it supports standard MIDI as well.

@rhaley said:
    Unless you don’t use Audiobus. All my apps are hosted by AUM and controlled by midi designer. Massive keyboard capability from this, 3 keyboards, use live every week. How does audiobus assist me in this set up?

@skrat said:

• edited April 2019

@SpookyZoo said:
    Gutted that iMono/Poly still hasn't fixed it's numerous Midi bugs.

The inability to program change between Banks is a particular frustration, especially as Korg itself offers a second bank as an IAP.

Bit of a shout out to Korg.

I had previously informed them of iMono/Poly’s midi bugs over a year ago. It’s my favourite iOS app but have been using it less and less because of these.

So I recently sent out a tweet to a round of their social media accounts and to @davis_korgrd asking again if they can take a look.

Well the main midi bugs were fixed and released in an update within 4 days. Great stuff.

A little good news on the bank change but mixed in with a bit of bad too.

iMono/Poly Bank Change is possible but using variations on the MSB number rather than the LSB that most controllers use. I’ll probably write a StreamByter script to work with it, but it is an extra step that will likely have some other unintended midi consequences.

Anyway, here’s the info from KORG....

Hello,

Thank you for waiting.

You can change banks by sending bank select message(MSB).
    The combination of number and bank is as follows.
    0 - Factory A
    1 - Factory B
    9 - Template
    10 - User

Best regards,
    KORG app team

• @SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Gutted that iMono/Poly still hasn't fixed it's numerous Midi bugs.

Bit of a shout out to Korg.

I had previously informed them of iMono/Poly’s midi bugs over a year ago. It’s my favourite iOS app but have been using it less and less because of these.

So I recently sent out a tweet to a round of their social media accounts and to @davis_korgrd asking again if they can take a look.

Well the main midi bugs were fixed and released in an update within 4 days. Great stuff.

A little good news on the bank change but mixed in with a bit of bad too.

iMono/Poly Bank Change is possible but using variations on the MSB number rather than the LSB that most controllers use. I’ll probably write a StreamByter script to work with it, but it is an extra step that will likely have some other unintended midi consequences.

Anyway, here’s the info from KORG....

Hello,

Thank you for waiting.

You can change banks by sending bank select message(MSB).
    The combination of number and bank is as follows.
    0 - Factory A
    1 - Factory B
    9 - Template
    10 - User

Best regards,
    KORG app team

Sweet!!

• @analog_matt said:
    Digital D1 now supports MSB Bank Change! 🎉

Awesome! Erm, is it just me, @analog_matt, or is this only in standalone? Tried with the AU in AUM, AB3, and Cubasis. No response. But it does work well with the standalone, whether in one of these hosts through IAA (I’m on 12.3, not 12.4).

It can be remarkably useful for patchsurfing, especially with the large number of presets we already have. Made myself a list while testing a short polyphonic MIDI clip (my simple harmonization of “The Lick”). Found more than 128 presets which sound good with it. So it’ll be more than one bank. And I want to record the audio for each of them. Some have a remarkably long tail. And I notice that I need to trigger the program change almost a bar in advance if I want the patch to start without an issue.
    Started creating a Logic track which sends each PC followed by the harmonized Lick and enough of a pause to allow for the reverb tail to run its course.

I do get some stuck notes and other weirdness. But it’s pretty fun.

I also got a number of crashes while I was patchsurfing through AUM. The only reliable I found to create a list of appropriate presets was to use the copy button.

Perhaps even better than PC would be a parameter to increment the patch by 1. Could be easy to trigger in a loop, in any AUv3 host. Sounds to me like the plugin itself is quicker at changing patches through the UI than the standalone is at receiving Program Change.

As others have said: PC (and BC) should come standard in any set. Like polyphonic Aftertouch. Some synths don’t even respond to velocity!

• @rhaley said:
    I can’t believe prog change isn’t a core feature for all synth apps - they seem to ignore live players!

I especially want synthmaster 1 and neo soul keys to recognise these messages via midi.

Yes ... Neo Soul Keys (/Studio) in particular ... looking for a good 'all pianos' or 'all EPs' app that supports PC

• try this mozaic script to shuffle through presets via midi program change...

https://patchstorage.com/agogo-shuffle-version-1-0/

• @nuno_agogo said:
    try this mozaic script to shuffle through presets via midi program change...

https://patchstorage.com/agogo-shuffle-version-1-0/

Any idea how I use that Mozaic script to selectt user presets on DrumJam?