Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to Midi out and audio interface

So I use the cck USB to run my Scarlett 2i2 audio interface leaving me with no usb port to hook up any kind of midi adapter to midi out to my electribe 2
I want to midi to the electribe via SPA and have its audio going back into the scarlet so I can record the audio inside AUM / loopy / enso etc... So basically that means I have to use the USB to run the interface And not the headphone port... To get audio in to go to the iPad...
Right now it's no problem doing this audio only but I'm not sure how to add midi to this mix or what I need... Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Reading that sentence makes me want a flow chart...

• The set up you have
    Pad => CCK => Scarlett

What you want
    StepPolyArp (iPad MIDI) => Electribe (audio) => AUM (iPad Audio)

• I googled details on the Electribe 2 and can't see how you get MIDI into it. Does it do USB MIDI? I was looking for 5-pin MIDI ports and don't see them in the photos.

I was going to suggest a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2 USB Audio Interface which has 5-pin MIDI/IN out ports and works great for me to connect a MIDI controller and my audio in/outs via a single CCK USB link for $99. But if it's a need to connect to 2 USB devices (Scarlett and Electribe) then a powered USB Hub might be the solution.

Someone showed this as working for that use case:

AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter for $17

I'd like to try that to see if I can play apps on an iPhone and record on the iPad without using any D-to-A and A-to-D conversions. That might require iConnect4+ which can function as the USB host, I think and manage the 2 audio streams.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Reading that sentence makes me want a flow chart...

🤣 I know.. Terrible sentencing lol

@audiblevideo said:
    The set up you have
    Pad => CCK => Scarlett

What you want
    StepPolyArp (iPad MIDI) => Electribe (audio) => AUM (iPad Audio)

And yes! IPad to power the interface as well as take audio in, thru external gear, that iPad is sending midi too

• @McD said:
    I googled details on the Electribe 2 and can't see how you get MIDI into it. Does it do USB MIDI? I was looking for 5-pin MIDI ports and don't see them in the photos.

I was going to suggest a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2 USB Audio Interface which has 5-pin MIDI/IN out ports and works great for me to connect a MIDI controller and my audio in/outs via a single CCK USB link for $99. But if it's a need to connect to 2 USB devices (Scarlett and Electribe) then a powered USB Hub might be the solution.

Someone showed this as working for that use case:

AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter for $17

I'd like to try that to see if I can play apps on an iPhone and record on the iPad without using any D-to-A and A-to-D conversions. That might require iConnect4+ which can function as the USB host, I think and manage the 2 audio streams.

It has this....

• In that case, I'd upgrade to audio interface to add MIDI ports. NOTE: I have to use the CCK that includes the Lightning power port before my audio interface will turn on using that external 5V power source for it's current requirements.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

One basic piece of info that may partially help: You don’t have to plug the Scarlett directly into the CCK. You can plug the uplink of a USB hub into the CCK, then you can plug the Scarlett into the USB hub.

Then, _if you had a class compliant USB midi (only) device, you could plug it into the hub as well, and it would be recognized by the iPad.

The problem is, you only have a 5-pin DIN connector, so you’d need an interface to convert that to USB. You’d also need it to be a midi only device because, though iOS can handle multiple USB midi devices, it can only handle one audio device at a time.

Anyway, the main point is ... CCK > Hub uplink port > Audio device + midi device(s) plugged into the hub.

• Not sure exactly here - but there are several USB to MIDI interfaces like the Yamaha UX16

• Easiest

In that case, I'd upgrade to audio interface to add MIDI ports. NOTE: I have to use the CCK that includes the Lightning power port before my audio interface will turn on using that external 5V power source for it's current requirements.

Comments

• If you want to JUST route MIDI an iRig midi (2) will work.

• @audiblevideo drew a chart:

Nice solution. The audio out's on the PlugKey are really good too. I'm going to try this set up too
    to add more MIDI ports to my set up.

• @wim said:
    One basic piece of info that may partially help: You don’t have to plug the Scarlett directly into the CCK. You can plug the uplink of a USB hub into the CCK, then you can plug the Scarlett into the USB hub.

Then, _if you had a class compliant USB midi (only) device, you could plug it into the hub as well, and it would be recognized by the iPad.

The problem is, you only have a 5-pin DIN connector, so you’d need an interface to convert that to USB. You’d also need it to be a midi only device because, though iOS can handle multiple USB midi devices, it can only handle one audio device at a time.

Anyway, the main point is ... CCK > Hub uplink port > Audio device + midi device(s) plugged into the hub.

That makes sense! That's where I was getting lost thinking if I plug the interface into a midi hub it wouldn't necessarily know to communicate with the iPad.... So ya!

@Aud_iOS said:
    Not sure exactly here - but there are several USB to MIDI interfaces like the Yamaha UX16

I have an old USB to midi cable with a small "hub" on it maybe I'll see what it does

• @audiblevideo said:
    Easiest

In that case, I'd upgrade to audio interface to add MIDI ports. NOTE: I have to use the CCK that includes the Lightning power port before my audio interface will turn on using that external 5V power source for it's current requirements.

Comments

@audiblevideo said:
    If you want to JUST route MIDI an iRig midi (2) will work.

Wow this is really awesom and helpful! Looks like it's probably going to be the route I take... The korg thing is way more $$$ than I expected... But sounds like the irig midi won't cut it if I want to then capture the audio thru the interface back to the iPad.... Dang thanks for this illustration!!!

• edited March 2019

@wim
    Is this correct?

• @audiblevideo said:
    @wim
    Is this correct?

If I plug the cck USB to electribe I can control iOS synths from the tribe, but not the other way around as far as I can tell

• The Persons AudioBox USB for $99 gets it done.

• Nice! What diagramming software are you using? Looks great.

@audiblevideo said:
    Easiest

Comments

• @reasOne said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @wim
    Is this correct?

If I plug the cck USB to electribe I can control iOS synths from the tribe, but not the other way around as far as I can tell

If the Electribe has midi in as well as out, then I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do both.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @wim
    Is this correct?

Yep. Well done. 😎

• @wim said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @wim
    Is this correct?

Yep. Nicely done. 😎

• @inakarmacoma

Nice! What diagramming software are you using? Looks great.

Shm-illustrator by Shm-adobe

• Anyone wanna give a go as to whether this (or something similar) is feasible.

A man can dream, right? 😉

• @wim said:

Ill just tell you what I specifically use, with similar needs.

USB 3 goes to camera connection kit
    And frm 2Amp plug, send that to lighting to charge iPad

Vantec
    4-Port Hub + 3 Smart Charging Port
    https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Aluminum-10-Port-Adapter-UGT-AH100U3/dp/B00J8LW04Q?th=1

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?afid=p238|sUT3HWa3h-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_246386725857_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MK0W2AM/A

$26
    https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-Advanced-Interface-Multi-Computer-Capability/dp/B00CO5IRSG?th=1

• @audiblevideo said:
    @inakarmacoma

Thank you!

• This won't work. The Korg is both a MIDI interface and an audio interface. As @wim noted, you can't have multiple audio interfaces connected to an iOS device. Moreover, I'm pretty sure the micro USB connector on the side of the plugKEY is for charging only and won't pass data.

All @reasOne needs is a powered hub and a simple USB to MIDI interface (both similar to what @Multicellular listed). Both the USB to MIDI and Scarlett plug into the powered hub and the hub plugs into the CCK.

• @inakarmacoma said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @inakarmacoma

Thank you!

Apologies, so... I Googled... and wasn't able to find 'Shm' libraries for Adobe Illustrator. Did you mean personally/custom made or?

• @audiblevideo said:
    Easiest

Comments

This deserves a medal.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Anyone wanna give a go as to whether this (or something similar) is feasible.

A man can dream, right? 😉

This won't work, the Lightning jack on the CCK is for connecting power or a computer (a host). You can't connect devices to this.

However, just plug the (powered) hub into the USB port of the CCK and plug the Controller into the hub. That should work.

• @AudioGus said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Easiest

Comments

This deserves a medal.

Agreed, hella awesome gesture to Make these!

• edited April 2020

A bit related to this,

A friend of mine wants to:

a) midi control Pads 1-8 of his Korg Electribe 2 Sampler directly from AUM.

b) send audio from Electribe’s Pads 1-8 to AUM

Anyone has an idea what the flow chart should be like?

Connecting Electribe 2 and LCXL to a usb hub and then directly to iPad’s CCK3, is enough to be recognized from AUM and send midi cc to Electribe2?

Does he need to use his audio/midi interface also?