Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App for mixing sound clips

Is there an app that has a good interface for mixing a collection of sound clips that aren't multiples of a beat? I have a collection of around 30 clips that vary from a second to 20 seconds that I want to sequence into a sound collage. While this can be done in Auria Pro or Cubasis, their interfaces aren't set up to do this conveniently.

Ideally, I'd like to import my clip collection into the app and then be able to drag the clips into a timeline to sequence them -- along the lines of how iMovie works but for audio.

Comments

• edited March 2019

I love doing this in Samplitude on PC but there isn’t anything on iOS yet for me that has a nice way to visually arrange and edit waveforms on a timeline. Nanostudio2 may have an IAP some time this year that will be worth checking out. That is the only lead I know of.

(There is a maaaaaybe....)

So that being said I have adapted to BeatMaker 3 for audio mashing on a timeline (it’s sampler, not audio tracks), and in many ways it can rival the classic arranging waveforms on a timeline approach. It is a different approach but may satisfy what you want if you can get past the pads/banks paradigm and work with the sampler (that has fantastic non destructive editing)... you may be in for a real treat. I now love it, having been a daw audio chopper addict for twenty+ years before. It was not what I wanted ideally on iOS from a process point of view but when I go back to desktop now to chop audio there are things about BM3 that I clearly have come to value very highly. I still want what you want though of course. ;)

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Multitrack DAW is pretty old, but very good for this kind of thing. Audio Evolution Mobile may be a good alternative as well. I haven’t used it much, but have heard it’s strong for audio clips.

• @wim said:
    Multitrack DAW is pretty old, but very good for this kind of thing. Audio Evolution Mobile may be a good alternative as well. I haven’t used it much, but have heard it’s strong for audio clips.

MultiTrack DAW is a great app. But for this application not so much. It suffers from the same weakness that Auria and Cubasis have which is having a bin for convenient access to the 30 clips I want to sequence and move around.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

MultiTrack DAW is a great app. But for this application not so much. It suffers from the same weakness that Auria and Cubasis have which is having a bin for convenient access to the 30 clips I want to sequence and move around.

What do you mean by a ‘bin’? I thought the Cubasis Media Bay was maybe a bin, but maybe not?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

[edit] Nvm - reread the OP.

What about something like Blocks Wave or Launchpad?

It sounds like you need something with direct drag and drop to the timeline. Did you know you can do this with Auria Pro using the files app floating in the sidebar, or whatever they call it? It’s not perfect, but the only app I can think of that has that ability. You just float it over then drag the clips into the timeline area. It even creates audio tracks if needed.

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

What do you mean by a ‘bin’? I thought the Cubasis Media Bay was maybe a bin, but maybe not?

I forgot about that media bin. I’ll give it a try and see if I can work around the hidden ‘grid’ which makes very fine timing/trimming adjustments impossible. It doesn’t matter for some things but does for others. It might work too rough the clips into order and switch to MTDAW or Auria Pro for the micro edits.

@wim: I am not very familiar with Launchpad and Blocswave. They seem cool. Is there a way to have LaunchPad play one-shots all the way through without holding the pad button down for the duration? The clips have varied lengths and there is no common tempo or beat multiple.

Blocswave looks interesting, but it looks like it is geared towards clips that have related durations or multiples. Am I mistaken?

• @wim said:
    [edit] Nvm - reread the OP.

What about something like Blocks Wave or Launchpad?

It sounds like you need something with direct drag and drop to the timeline. Did you know you can do this with Auria Pro using the files app floating in the sidebar, or whatever they call it? It’s not perfect, but the only app I can think of that has that ability. You just float it over then drag the clips into the timeline area. It even creates audio tracks if needed.

Thanks! I didn’t realize that. That will be just what I need.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

I forgot about that media bin. I’ll give it a try and see if I can work around the hidden ‘grid’ which makes very fine timing/trimming adjustments impossible. It doesn’t matter for some things but does for others. It might work too rough the clips into order and switch to MTDAW or Auria Pro for the micro edits.

@wim: I am not very familiar with Launchpad and Blocswave. They seem cool. Is there a way to have LaunchPad play one-shots all the way through without holding the pad button down for the duration? The clips have varied lengths and there is no common tempo or beat multiple.

Blocswave looks interesting, but it looks like it is geared towards clips that have related durations or multiples. Am I mistaken?

Launchpad is your answer. You can have one shots that are not beat sync’d and play through once and stop, or restart if you press again. Called retrigger. Or obviously loop or play while held.

• @MonkeyDrummer
    I like the Launchpad idea. Like an elaborate sound FX board. That would seem to be the best for experimenting with a bunch of stuff at once.

I use the Cubasis timeline method primarily. But I am going to try using Launchpad, too.

• @MonkeyDrummer : that's good to know. I played around with it a bit, and it will come in handy for a different project. For this one, my problem is sequencing consecutive sound bites to play one after the other. I will definitely use Launchpad, though, for some other projects.

@wim: thanks for getting me on track with using the the Files up concurrently with Auria Pro. It made me realize that I can use Twisted Wave and AudioShare in tandem to grab clips out of the long sound files that I am chopping up.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is there an app that has a good interface for mixing a collection of sound clips that aren't multiples of a beat? I have a collection of around 30 clips that vary from a second to 20 seconds that I want to sequence into a sound collage. While this can be done in Auria Pro or Cubasis, their interfaces aren't set up to do this conveniently.

Ideally, I'd like to import my clip collection into the app and then be able to drag the clips into a timeline to sequence them -- along the lines of how iMovie works but for audio.

@espiegel123 said:

1st Twisted Wave

2nd LooperSonic

• @espiegel123 said:

Not really an exact fit as described, but I wonder if an app like Koala could be sed for this? You can import your clips, then sequence them but playing them in.

• @skiphunt : having to enter the clips by playing them from a sampler wouldn’t really work as the clips are such different lengths and tempi. It really will need to be done by dragging into a timeline.

@RUST( i )K : does Loopersonic allow you to assign volume setting to clips? Does it work well for sequencing clips that don’t have common tempi or durations?

So far, it is looking like Twisted Wave + AudioShare is the most convenient way to clip the sounds out of the long audio source files and collect them in one place and then using Auria Pro with Files drag/drop.

If only the iOS version of Twisted Wave let you adjust marker placement and split/export files based on markers the way the desktop version does.

• I use Samplist sometimes to get a bunch of sections out of a long audio file. It is pretty easy to create slices with markers and export them all.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Ferrite?

I use Ferrite to edit sound effects, and it's great! I use a couple of AUs to complement its features (Brusfri, RoughRider, etc.). Sometimes I'll process source material in Hokusai first, but I always do the final edit in Ferrite. It has a very thoughtful "touch-first" interface, although I often use an Apple Pencil with it.