Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tip to clear zombie IAA apps?

Can anyone remind me of the tip that was recently discussed here to kill zombie IAA apps by double-tapping on the Home button? I've used the forum search and Google but can't find the thread. Thanks!

Comments

• hold the power button until you see the screen with "slide to power off" then hold the home button (with power button released) after a few seconds you will be reset and taken to the home screen. :)

• Wunderbar, it worked. Thanks!

• Run everything through AB.... :*

• @gburks said:
    Run everything through AB.... :*

Yeah, I was experimenting with a new idea that turned out to be a bad one! Back to safety now...

• @Carnbot said:
    hold the power button until you see the screen with "slide to power off" then hold the home button (with power button released) after a few seconds you will be reset and taken to the home screen. :)

You beat me to it!
    Learned that here: http://kymatica.com/Software/AUM
    In the Frequently Asked Questions under IAA nodes fail to initialize

Great trick to be able to close everything without losing the history of open apps in the app switcher, and much faster than doing a reboot!

• @srcer said:

@Carnbot said:
    hold the power button until you see the screen with "slide to power off" then hold the home button (with power button released) after a few seconds you will be reset and taken to the home screen. :)

You beat me to it!
    Learned that here: http://kymatica.com/Software/AUM
    In the Frequently Asked Questions under IAA nodes fail to initialize

Great trick to be able to close everything without losing the history of open apps in the app switcher, and much faster than doing a reboot!

Yeah it's a great tip, I learned it here from someone posting on the forum. Since AUM I've been using it quite a bit before starting a session.

• @Carnbot said:

Dies anyone know how to kill IAA Zombies on the new iPad Pro or iPhone without any homebutton!?

• @david_2017 said:

@Carnbot said:

Dies anyone know how to kill IAA Zombies on the new iPad Pro or iPhone without any homebutton!?

Press and hold down on the top button and either the volume up or volume down button until a slider appears.
    Slide a finger along the slider to turn off the iPad.
    Once it's turned off, press and hold on the top button again until the Apple logo appears.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@david_2017 said:

@Carnbot said:

Press and hold down on the top button and either the volume up or volume down button until a slider appears.
    Slide a finger along the slider to turn off the iPad.
    Once it's turned off, press and hold on the top button again until the Apple logo appears.

That’s for a full reboot. I think to clear just the ghost apps it’s something like press and hold the top button until the slider appears, let go, then hold down one of the volume buttons until the slider goes away. I could be wrong on that since it’s been awhile.

• I find there’s no need for the soft reset trick. If you know the app that’s gone zombie just tap the icon of the app and it should just show, then kill it. Works with apps I’m using.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@supadom said:
    I find there’s no need for the soft reset trick. If you know the app that’s gone zombie just tap the icon of the app and it should just show, then kill it. Works with apps I’m using.

You’re pretty lucky then. There can be rogue processes hanging around. I’ve seen this more than once. It manifests in midi ports staying open even though the app isn’t running, sample rate issues, increased host crashes, unexplained battery consumption, or overly high CPU. It seems like if you can cleanly kill an app the chances are pretty good that nothing will be left hanging around. But if an app or host crashes there’s almost always some crap left behind.

Clearing things out is such a quick and easy process, I don’t even think about it any more. I firmly believe it’s the reason I seem to have so many fewer audio app problems than other people.

• @wim said:

@supadom said:
    I find there’s no need for the soft reset trick. If you know the app that’s gone zombie just tap the icon of the app and it should just show, then kill it. Works with apps I’m using.

You’re pretty lucky then. There can be rogue processes hanging around. I’ve seen this more than once. It manifests in midi ports staying open even though the app isn’t running, sample rate issues, increased host crashes, unexplained battery consumption, or overly high CPU. It seems like if you can cleanly kill an app the chances are pretty good that nothing will be left hanging around. But if an app or host crashes there’s almost always some crap left behind.

Clearing things out is such a quick and easy process, I don’t even think about it any more. I firmly believe it’s the reason I seem to have so many fewer audio app problems than other people.

Yup, definitely app dependant. I only ever use Loopy and Samplr IAA and it is either tapping the icon or the red mic in top corner that brings the app up front but indeed it did happen to me with apps like AUM to get a flat battery surprise at the end of the day.

I hope by the time we’re all using buttonless devices the IAA will be a long forgotten memory or a restart will be the only way to flush the system.

• I have always done a soft reset after every session. Otherwise I might think things are all closed and next thing I know the battery is drained. It takes literally 10 seconds.

You can still do this on devices without the home button! You can use the virtual home button. It’s part of the iOS accessibility options in the settings menu. I set up the preferences on my 2018 iPad to click the sleep button three times to bring up the accessibility mini menu. Then use the same procedure described above: bring up the swipe to turn off screen and then just hold the home button until it returns to the home page.