Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free compressor that is iOS 9 compatible?

hey fellas

i’m using „group the loop“ for live busking on an ipad2 with ios9 (it’s very old i know, but currently the only ipad available to me).

i’d love to add a compressor to its output.

on my iphone5 with ios11, i can simply add „rough rider 2“ as auv3 effect. but on ios9 this isn’t supported. so i‘d love to send the output of „group the loop“ to an app that has a compressor available. anybody knows a free one that works on ios9?

thank you.

Comments

• You can try Rough Rider in AUM. It can load as an IAA FX on iPad 2.

If you don’t hear any sound initially, you may have to unmute Audio in Rough Rider. There is a little button on the top/right area.

• The built-in limiter FX in AUM might work for some things.

• thanks, guys.

@cracklepot, i tried to use rough rider 2 as output in audiobus, but it doesn’t appear in the list of options. or how do you mean exactly „use as iaa“?

• @josh83 said:
    thanks, guys.

@cracklepot, i tried to use rough rider 2 as output in audiobus, but it doesn’t appear in the list of options. or how do you mean exactly „use as iaa“?

That is correct. It only shows in AUM or AudioShare, if you have on of those. It doesn’t show up in Audiobus as an IAA FX.

• thank you, cracklepot.

aum is pretty expensive.

i could buy the cheaper audioshare, but maybe there is a solution that works with audiobus? there must be some simple mixer with a compressor that can be targeted by audiobus?

• Hey Josh - this is how I use AUM with Group the Loop:

I have other apps and audio inputs also off to the left (so not visible on this screen shot) - they all have a Post Fade bus send going to Bus A which feeds into Group The Loop via Inter App Audio

I have also got MIDI bindings set to MUTE each channel, control the volume from a MIDI controller slider, and a further MIDI button binding on each channel to mute the bus send to Group the Loop.

Basically with all the bus A buttons ON - then whatever I hear through main speaker / headphones is also sent to Group The Loop. If I want to sing and play, but not loop my singing then I can turn off the bus send on the vocal channel so I only loop the guitar but still hear both.

I hear that mix bus facilities might be added to Audiobus in a future update ( is this true @Michael ?) - but AUM works right now

• edited March 2019

Bro, At the risk of being a bit harsh you are probably not going to find a free app that is somehow still available on the AppStore, and maintained to work on 4-year old operating system, while also functioning in current iOS routing environment.

Go here https://audiob.us/apps/search/Compressor and peruse those available apps. Trying to be helpful, the best option might actually be Magellan jr, which is an old synth that was last updated for iOS 9. It has a FX rack (with compressor) that can be routed through effects in Audiobus. It is $4.

• Just tested Magellan Jr and it works in the effects slot in Audiobus 3. I don’t know if there’s anyone who could test on iOS 9, but I’m guessing you would have to use Audiobus 2 ? Not even sure if that is still available...

• @Hmtx said:
    Just tested Magellan Jr and it works in the effects slot in Audiobus 3. I don’t know if there’s anyone who could test on iOS 9, but I’m guessing you would have to use Audiobus 2 ? Not even sure if that is still available...

Audiobus 3 runs on the iPad 2 (iOS9). Just barely though, for me anyway. It hangs pretty easily, and everything loads really slow, if it doesn’t just hang (freeze).

• edited March 2019

@CracklePot said:
    Audiobus 3 runs on the iPad 2 (iOS9). Just barely though, for me anyway. It hangs pretty easily, and everything loads really slow, if it doesn’t just hang (freeze).

Interesting point... an iPad 2 is fairly underpowered, but it should be able to handle a looper and a compressor in a live set (maybe at 512 buffer instead of 256?). If @josh83 has already purchased Audiobus 2 I wonder if it would take less resources and perform better.

Another solid IAA compressor option is AUFX:Push, for $4.99. Its a dedicated compressor so will give more control than Magellan Jr.
    Again, not sure how it would perform on iOS 9.

• edited March 2019

You might be better off with something like a compressor pedal or hardware unit (probably better for level matching unless pedal can take line level) if compression on output is something you feel you need.

What’s the reason you feel an output compressor is needed in your setup? What do you amplify your iPad with now?

• @ricksteruk said:
    I hear that mix bus facilities might be added to Audiobus in a future update ( is this true @Michael ?) - but AUM works right now

It's on the roadmap - I've not started on this yet, though. Think Audiobus 4.

• Hey guys

Thanks a lot for your opinions. Yeah, I finally get it: my iPad2 should be replaced with a newer one. I will do that when ending my travels (in 2 to 3 months). The lack of AUv3 support is too much of a hussle, I recognise that I‘m missing out on too many cool things without it.

@mrufino1 In general, I simply want to even out my live looping, so that having only 1 layer in the beginning and maybe a dozen at the end still have the same output volume. See here: http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/251/adding-a-compressor-to-the-main-out#latest

• @josh83 said:
    Hey guys

Thanks a lot for your opinions. Yeah, I finally get it: my iPad2 should be replaced with a newer one. I will do that when ending my travels (in 2 to 3 months). The lack of AUv3 support is too much of a hussle, I recognise that I‘m missing out on too many cool things without it.

@mrufino1 In general, I simply want to even out my live looping, so that having only 1 layer in the beginning and maybe a dozen at the end still have the same output volume. See here: http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/251/adding-a-compressor-to-the-main-out#latest

There's always the free MobMuPlat that you can build almost any effect you want with.
    Or just find an appropriate PureData patch online that does it.
    It acts as an IAA effect and can be used in Audiobus as well.

• @josh83 said:
    Hey guys

Ah, that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that so thanks for enlightening me.

• Do you have Cubasis? You could run that and use the built in compressor maybe. On an iPad 2 I struggle to get it to do 2 things at any given point. Most often it manages to maybe do one thing.

• Hey guys

I wanted to say "Thank you" for your responses. I have been traveling a lot during the last months, and didn't have time anymore for experimenting with Group The Loop (GTL).

Now I'm back home, and GTL is now available for iPhone, so I can run it on a newer device now (an iPhone 5S, haha), with new options!

Using RoughRider on the output works pretty well now. :smile: Thanks for all the other suggestions.