Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:
    @Samu
    For now, you can do destructive trim by using resample.

Partially yes but the pad recording doesn’t stop when the source sample ends but rather when the finger is lifted from the pad :)

It ain’t perfect, but that was the best I could come up with.
    Unless someone has found the secret in-app audio editor or freeze function.
    :)

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio and anyone else. Ableton Link loosing connection with AUM/BM3 & when I do get a sync Koala is not “listening to Start/Stop commands. Also in bm3 the Kaola samples have changed pitch that might be a bm3 issue though Maybe if possible Midi Clock would be more stable. Or a way to trigger Kaola to start playing via IAA.

Could be a sample-rate issue? Koala seems to record at 48K regardless of the devices native sample-rate?

@samu this is true regarding sound/pitch. Is Link working ok for you?

• @CracklePot said:

@stormbeats said:

@CracklePot said:

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio i see pad layering/ pad link option even just 2 sounds triggered from one pad would be an added bonus if possible No rush just thinking ahead

3-finger resample?

@CracklePot that sounds a bit naughty mate haha :-)

Yeah, I musta been watching too many Haq videos.

@CracklePot now go *inger . Haha :-)

• @stormbeats said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio and anyone else. Ableton Link loosing connection with AUM/BM3 & when I do get a sync Koala is not “listening to Start/Stop commands. Also in bm3 the Kaola samples have changed pitch that might be a bm3 issue though Maybe if possible Midi Clock would be more stable. Or a way to trigger Kaola to start playing via IAA.

Could be a sample-rate issue? Koala seems to record at 48K regardless of the devices native sample-rate?

Honestly I’ve mostly been using it as stand-alone on my iPhone 8 and just exporting/re-sampling stuff. Settings for default sample-rate and bit-depth (as well as mono / stereo) options could be added to a future update.

For now I see Koala as a quick and fun way to kill some time :)

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Honestly I’ve mostly been using it as stand-alone on my iPhone 8 and just exporting/re-sampling stuff. Settings for default sample-rate and bit-depth (as well as mono / stereo) options could be added to a future update.

For now I see Koala as a quick and fun way to kill some time :)

@Samu Ok cool

• @elf_audio said:
    @girlvsworld I designed it that way, but realize that it's quite an annoying feature - my idea was to let you be able to chop between sequences mid-sequence, but it's not that popular - will look into it for next version!

Love this feature-great to be able to switch between sequences like this-makes for tons of combinations some of them quite unexpected

• @elf_audio said:
    @girlvsworld I designed it that way, but realize that it's quite an annoying feature - my idea was to let you be able to chop between sequences mid-sequence, but it's not that popular - will look into it for next version!

Now wait a minute!!! I love chopping between sequences. I think it would be nice to choose between starting at the beginning when switching or seamlessly cutting in. For example if you look at Korg Electribe Wave, they do this well, calling it “sequential” (start at beggining) or “jump” (seamless). Two different modes to choose from. Please don’t take away this feature!!!!!

• @elf_audio
    On the sequence page, there is a button labeled ‘Clear Note’. I was trying to use it to clear notes while in the Keyboard screen, but I found it doesn’t actually do that.

But once back on the Pad screen, I found it works to delete any recorded input of a specific Pad.
    Maybe re-label the button to ‘Clear Pad’ to make it more obvious? I actually thought the button was broken at first.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

• @CracklePot said:
    @elf_audio
    On the sequence page, there is a button labeled ‘Clear Note’. I was trying to use it to clear notes while in the Keyboard screen, but I found it doesn’t actually do that.

But once back on the Pad screen, I found it works to delete any recorded input of a specific Pad.
    Maybe re-label the button to ‘Clear Pad’ to make it more obvious? I actually thought the button was broken at first.

@CracklePot Good suggestion . Agreed.

• @CracklePot said:
    @elf_audio

Yeah but Clear Pad sounds like youre about to do just that...clear the pad that you select.
    Clear note is what it does...clears the notes you have put in from a selected pad, not the sample itself.
    Once you exit the keyboard, then you can clear the notes recorded from the keyboard or any other sample.
    It makes sense to me.

• @Jes said:

@CracklePot said:
    @elf_audio

Yeah but Clear Pad sounds like youre about to do just that...clear the pad that you select.
    Clear note is what it does...clears the notes you have put in from a selected pad, not the sample itself.
    Once you exit the keyboard, then you can clear the notes recorded from the keyboard or any other sample.
    It makes sense to me.

You are actually clearing the Pad input for the sequence. Notes sounds more like what you enter with the keyboard. It is not clearing any notes, just the whole Pad input for the selected sequence.

You clear a Pad, in the sense that you mean, from the Samples page, using the big delete button. That is pretty clear. Clear notes is labeled in a confusing way.

It is clear to me now, too. But it is still confusing in the way it is labeled.

• @db909 said:

@elf_audio said:

Now wait a minute!!! I love chopping between sequences. I think it would be nice to choose between starting at the beginning when switching or seamlessly cutting in. For example if you look at Korg Electribe Wave, they do this well, calling it “sequential” (start at beggining) or “jump” (seamless). Two different modes to choose from. Please don’t take away this feature!!!!!

agreed, please allow the option.

• @kobamoto said:

@db909 said:

@elf_audio said:

agreed, please allow the option.

@elf_audio After working with the app a bit more I have to agree with the above.The audio spilling over to other sequences during live playback sequence switching can get messy.Thinking for future if One Shot triggering is added could be even worse audio spilling. An option in settings would be perfect.

• Please figure out and add landscape mode. Everything on my 11” pro works perfectly. I never had sample import issues right out the gate. It not being able to charge and play simultaneously is a horrible frustration. Please don’t let this awesome idea of an app slip away because of lack of landscape. It will suffer the same fate as Triqtraq.

• @Morgman73 said:
    Please figure out and add landscape mode. Everything on my 11” pro works perfectly. I never had sample import issues right out the gate. It not being able to charge and play simultaneously is a horrible frustration. Please don’t let this awesome idea of an app slip away because of lack of landscape. It will suffer the same fate as Triqtraq.

You have to learn to read these apps like a Japanese book. I have the art using a sideways app nearly mastered.
    ;)

• Landscape is essential to me as well. The iPad is mounted on a stand and my neck doesn't tilt 90 degrees.

• 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. the request for landscape mode. Please, I can't stand having to turn my iPad only for this app.

• @fprintf I will get round to it, it's just a lot of work, it's going to take some time to do it (several days) - there are a few things that I need to get done first - one shot mode, toggle record, to name 2.

@stormbeats @kobamoto I will definitely keep it as an option whether to cut between sequences or wait until the previous is done when I get round to it.

@CracklePot I agree, "CLEAR NOTE" is misleading, maybe "CLEAR PAD" is better - I sort of hate having to have a button for it, but it's super useful feature. I've changed it to CLEAR PAD now.

Submitted an update yesterday as there were still a few issues with audio import, and also GREATLY improved the BASS SYNTH pitch tracking. It's so good.

• Clear pad is definitely more clear.

• Thanks for confirming landscape is coming. #1 request from my end. Neck hurts! ;)

• Great job! Look forward to the update

• @db909 said:
    Great job! Look forward to the update

me too and thank you Elf :)

• edited March 2019

Thanks Elf, just discovered your amazing app yesterday and had a blast feeding it with sounds from my P.O. 33 - Koala’s the app I wish the po33 was, so nice to have performance effects and audio import. Going to feed it some Samples From Mars next 😆
    Does anyone know how to sample other apps into Koala, without another iOS device and interface?
    I’m assuming there’s some combo of Audiobus, AUM and Audioshare that I’m just not seeing.

• @sketcherazzi said:
    Thanks Elf, just discovered your amazing app yesterday and had a blast feeding it with sounds from my P.O. 33 - Koala’s the app I wish the po33 was, so nice to have performance effects and audio import. Going to feed it some Samples From Mars next 😆
    Does anyone know how to sample other apps into Koala, without another iOS device and interface?
    I’m assuming there’s some combo of Audiobus, AUM and Audioshare that I’m just not seeing.

I think you at least need an interface, but not another device.

If you have no interface, you can record other apps with Audiobus and AudioShare, then import the samples.

You can also sample from the iPad speaker using the iPad mic, but that sounds rather lofi and dirty, and can feedback. Which may be exactly what you want, sometimes.

• This app is great!!!! So much fun!! I love it !
    Thanks to the developer. Great work man.
    I’m using it as source material for my digitakt.
    Reverse and adsr would be amazing!
    But either way.
    Awesome app!!!!

• @elf_audio cheers for new update

• @elf_audio don't burn out Mister Elf, this app is in for the long haul :)

• edited March 2019

Yeah sure.
    I already offered the app and hoping my mates will do the same ;-)

I’ll be over the top when i’ll be able to load multiple samples from AudioShare, but the slide over trick works well on ipad though.

• @elf_audio said:
    @fprintf I will get round to it, it's just a lot of work, it's going to take some time to do it (several days) - there are a few things that I need to get done first - one shot mode, toggle record, to name 2.

I'm sure in this huge thread you have heard it said before, but you are awesome and this is exactly the kind of interaction that gains you tons of folks that buy apps immediately upon release to "support the developer".

Thank you for your responsiveness and agreeing to work on landscape mode for all of us.

• edited March 2019

@fprintf said:

@elf_audio said:
    @fprintf I will get round to it, it's just a lot of work, it's going to take some time to do it (several days) - there are a few things that I need to get done first - one shot mode, toggle record, to name 2.

I'm sure in this huge thread you have heard it said before, but you are awesome and this is exactly the kind of interaction that gains you tons of folks that buy apps immediately upon release to "support the developer".

Thank you for your responsiveness and agreeing to work on landscape mode for all of us.

Exactly.

The new bass synth is a big improvement! Can we get a bass tone without so much "rasp" in some future version?