Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StreamByter and Audiobus multi-channel routing

Been testing some things with StreamByter as a midi filter in Audiobus and I gather if I wanted, e.g., 5 midi channels with 5 instances of Streambyter to filter I could do that, but,
Is there a more elegant way to do this.
Would love to have 1 app in, streambyter, out to several midi channels.

Comments

• @Multicellular said:
    Been testing some things with StreamByter as a midi filter in Audiobus and I gather if I wanted, e.g., 5 midi channels with 5 instances of Streambyter to filter I could do that, but,

Not following. Why not just write a script to route to several MIDI channels?

• edited March 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Multicellular said:

Yes, I want to write a script to do change note to PC on a few channels and host a few AU3 synths in Audiobus. Basically, state save the whole thing as one virtual synth rack and change the presets on the synths via PC.

Seems clear how to do that with several Audiobus midi tracks and separate instances of Streambyter, but I hoped there was a more elegant way to use one instance of Streambyter and then send all the midi out to multiple synths.

Afraid it is really obvious and I just don't know audiobus that well.

• @Multicellular said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Multicellular said:

Yes, I want to write a script to do change note to PC on a few channels and host a few AU3 synths in Audiobus. Basically, state save the whole thing as one virtual synth rack and change the presets on the synths via PC.

Seems clear how to do that with several Audiobus midi tracks and separate instances of Streambyter, but I hoped there was a more elegant way to use one instance of Streambyter and then send all the midi out to multiple synths.

You can't put the multiple synths in the receiver slot after the StreamByter script? I do this all the time and it works great. That said, it might be easier to use AB3 MIDI learn to change synth presets using notes?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Multicellular said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Multicellular said:

You can't put the multiple synths in the receiver slot after the StreamByter script? I do this all the time and it works great. That said, it might be easier to use AB3 MIDI learn to change synth presets using notes?

Huh. Intriguing idea. Yes I can put multiple synths in the receiver, I just can’t fogure out how to assign midi channels in Audiobus. I think I’ll test assignment in the standalone and see if that saves over to the AUs. But that’s not ideal.

• There is no problem doing this, as long as the target synths can be told to respond only on a certain midi channel. Where you run into issues is when a synth simply responds to any midi sent to it. In that situation, you need them on different lanes, each with their own filter to block everything else.

AUM is better in this regard as you can point the StreamByter script to multiple AUM channels, then set each one to respond to only certain midi channels.

I think the beta version may have Virtual Midi Bridge as in input as well as an output. In that case, it seems like you would be able to go Virtual Midi Bridge (all channels) Out, then Virtual Midi Bridge (selected channel) In, into a separate lane. Just speculating here.

• On the other hand, you can assign the same midi input on as many lanes as you like, then filter each lane with something like mfxStrip.

Here’s a preset with single Xequence Pads instance sending to Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM. mfxStrip filters out all but channel 10 on one, and all but channel 11 on the other.

Audiobus preset 'Mighty Snake': http://preset.audiob.us/bPMLz5aNSGrTV7U

• Yeah, it's tricky with synths that don't allow specific channel selection. Good call on the mfx strip.

• Thanks for the tip. Yep changing the midi receive in the standalone does not seem to make them exclusive in AB. The other problem, using Icegear synths here, it isn’t saving in the right folder state. PC works when I navigate to the Program folder, but they are starting in the init patch.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, it's tricky with synths that don't allow specific channel selection. Good call on the mfx strip.

A built-in midi channel filter per target app would be a nice addition to AudioBus. Or, if it’s technically feasible, allowance of re-using a single app instance in a midi filter slot, as it is for the input and output slots.

Hint. Hint. @Michael B)

• edited March 2019

Little update. State saving in the correct folder seems to work if I delete the init patch from it.

Also in the midst of the other issues, hey at least the Streambyter part is working. Converting low notes out of Gadget (which has no PC) to PCs.

Redshrike and Laplace changing presets, just taking midi from both channels.

Have to decide if AUM is worth it.

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, it's tricky with synths that don't allow specific channel selection. Good call on the mfx strip.

A built-in midi channel filter a’la AUM would be a nice addition to AudioBus.

Agree!

@Multicellular load the preset in AB3 MIDI learn? Icegear has options here?

• Yall put me on the right path. Appreciate it.

Totally works in AUM with the channel filter.

And now that it is fully working...lmao...Im getting big cpu spikes when I change presets. Le sigh.

However, everything is working great with my hardware synths.

Have Program change out of Gadget now!