Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iphone / ipad as effect unit

hey there audiobussers/audiobusserettes 😂

i have a fostex 280 mixer / multitracker
and i’m trying to use my iphone as SEND effects unit

behringer 404HD
CCK
iphone
fostex 280

somehow i can’t wrap my head around it , i don’t wanna use effects direct on the synths

aux send > behringer input 1

aux return > behringer out

and i used the search function
but didn’t really find something😆

Comments

• edited March 2019

You've got > @panthera said:

hey there audiobussers/audiobusserettes 😂

i have a fostex 280 mixer / multitracker
    and i’m trying to use my iphone as SEND effects unit

behringer 404HD
    CCK
    iphone
    fostex 280

somehow i can’t wrap my head around it , i don’t wanna use effects direct on the synths

aux send > behringer input 1

aux return > behringer out

and i used the search function
    but didn’t really find something😆

What is it that you're confused about? Did you try it and it didn't work? Or are you just making sure before hooking it up?

If you mean that the aux send from your fostex is going to the input of your behringer and the output of your behringer is going to your aux return, then you should be good with that routing.

If youre asking what software you need on iphone to make that work, probably audiobus or aum is what you need, although I don't have audiobus 3, just audiobus 2, and don't have aum, so I couldn't necessarily give specifics.

Hope that helps in some way....

• well good question 😅,
    tried it with AB3 , didn’t work. actually wanna know if ppl have experience using an iphone / ipad as such.

thanks for input @mrufino1

• You may need to check you have the correct cables....is the Aux send stereo but a single connector ? If so then you may need what is known as a 'Y' cable...that would have a stereo jack and one end (for the aux send) and 2 x phono or 2 x mono jacks on the other to go to the behringer.
    If the Aux return is a single socket, then you may need a 'Y' cable for that too.

• @panthera said:
    well good question 😅,
    tried it with AB3 , didn’t work. actually wanna know if ppl have experience using an iphone / ipad as such.

thanks for input @mrufino1

I have an iPad hooked up permanently like this, works great. Depending on what effects/apps you want to use, you don't necessarily need any additional software. For instance, all our stuff should work out of the box when running standalone with the audio interface connected. However, if you want to combine different effects/apps using AUM or Audiobus to setup the effects chain will work just fine.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    You may need to check you have the correct cables....is the Aux send stereo but a single connector ? If so then you may need what is known as a 'Y' cable...that would have a stereo jack and one end (for the aux send) and 2 x phono or 2 x mono jacks on the other to go to the behringer.
    If the Aux return is a single socket, then you may need a 'Y' cable for that too.

I have a bunch of 'Y' Cables and Mono Cables, will try the connections again

• I’ve tried to run my circuit via and iPad mini with LiveFx in standalone mode. I found the latency a bit high but I guess that will depend on the app/device/interface. I since bought mini kaoss pad but miss iPad’s flexibility.

• @panthera

Would you sketch a quick diagram of your setup so that we can understand how you route your things and help you better?

• To narrow down where the issue might be, does the setup work if you replace the Behringer/iPhone with an analog effect of some sort?

• unfortunately i don't have an analog unit at the moment,
    i just realized i dont have an fx send channel only aux send/return are the differences, been a long time since i used an analog mixer 😅😬

• Have you tried monitoring the input and output of the Behringer with headphones? That might help locate the problem too.

• edited March 2019

Plug headphones on the aux send to make sure you actually send the signal...

Googled and saw the Fostex pictures... Make sure you have turned the AUX1 pot on your _channel _mixer and the _master _AUX1. I think you can check the signals by setting the monitor only to AUX1, to verify the routing

• okay, i got it working , seems that aux return signal is low.

the audio sounds barely processed.

you guys are amazing, thank you for the help