Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2019

edited March 2019 in Creations

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• My entry for the month. Composed in Nanostudio 2, Vocals and final mix in Auria:

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/somewhere

• edited March 2019

@richardyot

This is great!

Probably my favourite one I’ve heard from you.

Catchy as hell, modern and really confident vocals.

You have some great hooks in there.

First cymbal is a bit loud. I would also raise the volume of the picked guitar line at the start. Just my preference!

Nanostudio 2 is good then?

• Hey thanks! I appreciate the listen.

Yes Nanostudio 2 is great! I love the sequencer, it's my favourite way to sequence drums on iOS. I think once it gets audio tracks it's going to be in contention for the best DAW on iOS.

• The drums do poke through lovely.

What was your sample source for them?

• The initial programming was done using one of the NS2 acoustic kits, but once in Auria I used Drumagog to replace them all so that I could get more natural hits and round-robins etc...

Since then though I've built a whole bunch of acoustic kits in NS2 so next time I probably won't need to use Drumagog. If you ever get NS2 then bookmark the following link where I've shared 10 acoustic kits and also a bunch of percussion:

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/484/acoustic-slate-kits-for-download-and-thoughts-on-making-beats-in-ns2

• That's a stonking chorus Richard !!!

• Thank you 😄 It's hard to tell when you're the one writing/producing it.

• @richardyot That was excellent. Amazing hooks, great guitar tones, and really tasteful and brilliant use of that stereo tremolo effect.

From an improvement standpoint, I would try tweaking the drums on the verses to see if it sculpts the song dynamic a little more: Perhaps a little sparser on the first verse (maybe soften the snare a bit), and add then busier movement in the second verse and chorus (maybe in the high-hats or snare) to support the energy you've got in other instruments at that point.

That might add something, I'm not sure, it's a solid tune as it is.

• Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, it's definitely something to consider. Listening back now I wish the drum fills were more aligned with the tremolo guitar, that would probably match a real drummer more closely.

• Great tune this month Richard! Definitely a strong composition. Let me ask you a different angle: Thanks to SOTMC you’ve been cranking out a finished song once a month for a long time now. I remember at the beginning of this thread you were wondering if you could be this prolific. So have your habits/organization/ time management of non-music things and music-making changed so you could be consistently posting great tracks? I’m lucky to get a tune done once every 3 months..

• Yes doing this has been hugely beneficial for me personally. Prior to starting SOTMC I was completing 3 or 4 tracks a year, now it's a lot more than that :) To begin with I struggled to keep up the pace and it was difficult sticking to the schedule, but I now I find it pretty easy to crank out a song with vocals and a couple of instrumentals every month. I guess all that practice has just made me quicker.

And of course the biggest benefit is that by doing all this writing/performing/producing etc for the last 4 years I've just got so much better at every aspect of it. My mixing is better, my songs are better, my singing is better, it's all benefited from the work I put in. There is still a long way to go, but my progress has been undeniable.

It's not really about time management IMO, it's more to do with having a set deadline that I have to meet every month, once you accept that then you just make it happen. I don't watch much TV though...

• my birthday month submission :)

• @bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

Great sound! Funky as hell. Nice unexpected guitar break in the middle.
    I would say there’s room for vocals. Do you sing yourself?
    On a critical note, I wasn’t keen on the fade in. It’s a nice intro anyway, so I’d just kick it straight in at volume.

• edited March 2019

Deleted.

• @DefRobot said:
    Deleted.

I was just about to listen and comment!

• Here’s my snippet of the month.. :D ...

• @richardyot said:

@DefRobot said:
    Deleted.

I was just about to listen and comment!

Apologies @richardyot !

I had to pull it, as the guitarist has overhauled it, with a faster tempo and some new chords.

I’ll post another that we are demoing, once I’ve mixed it.

• edited March 2019

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month. Composed in Nanostudio 2, Vocals and final mix in Auria:

I am very far from this kind of music. But I liked it. Soft sound, good arrangement.

@bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

Loved it. It brought me memories of ZZ Top, although the music is not similar, just some kind of my personal associations. Excellently produced, I will separately note the guitar - it is perfectly played, the sound is well selected.

@studs1966 said:
    Here’s my snippet of the month.. :D ...

It seemed to me that the internal pulsation of percussions does not coincide with the pulsation of the bass and vocals. Perhaps due to the imposition of a vinyl loop on the main original drums. But in general, fun on the beach, shakes. Palms and bikini girls.

• edited March 2019

My five pennies for this holiday. A bit of melodic death metal:

• @Slava said:
    My five pennies for this holiday. A bit of melodic death metal:

I think this is the first ever death metal entry into the SOTMC, so welcome :)

It's definitely a lot heavier than the kind of music I would normally listen to but I'm happy that you have expanded my horizons. On a technical level the guitar playing is pretty impressive, incredibly tight, impressive rhythmic skills. I also like the dynamics of the arrangement, there's quite a bit of ebb and flow and some nice changes and variations, which I think really helps to give the track more impact.

It's slightly weird to listen to a track that is apparently praising Jesus with music that is so heavy. :D

• @studs1966 said:
    Here’s my snippet of the month.. :D ...

This one is a bit more uptempo from your usual isn't it? Those 16th note disco hihats are really frenetic - they might need to be dialled down a notch or two in the mix. The vocal is delicious, really lovely feelgood vibe.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @JonathanMac said:
    Long time no post. Took a “vacation” from forums and music a little to deal with some life stuff. Even deleted my profile to keep from being distracted. Anyway, back on here with a new name...been working on this song off and on for four months.

Song concept is to pace a yoga breath 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. So the tempo is 60 beats per minute, for ease of breath rhythm. Also, A happy accident, it’s written in Dorian mode, which I had no idea what that was at the time. After studying modes last week, I realized it was Dorian. Kind of useful I think as the song swells up in a minor chord for four beats and then comes back down in a major chord for 4 beats...repeat. Dorian is said to invoke a sad or serious but hopeful feeling, so I think it fits.
    Written and mixed 100% on an iPad Air 2. Apps used were Korg Gadget, Korg Module.

Very nice - I like the fact that there is a strong melodic element in there, from your description I was worried that the piece was going to be a bit too simple and repetitive but the piano and the cello (or is it a viola?) interact really nicely to create some very nice counterpunctual melodies.

The harmonic backing provided by the synth pads is a perfect backing for this. It's relaxing and meditative but without being boring, and it improves with every listen.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month. Composed in Nanostudio 2, Vocals and final mix in Auria:

Not my kind of music but it's good. The only comment I can make is that I found the track a little dull sounding. It can be some more crispy if you know what I mean.

• @JonathanMac said:
    Long time no post. Took a “vacation” from forums and music a little to deal with some life stuff. Even deleted my profile to keep from being distracted. Anyway, back on here with a new name...been working on this song off and on for four months.

Song concept is to pace a yoga breath 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. So the tempo is 60 beats per minute, for ease of breath rhythm. Also, A happy accident, it’s written in Dorian mode, which I had no idea what that was at the time. After studying modes last week, I realized it was Dorian. Kind of useful I think as the song swells up in a minor chord for four beats and then comes back down in a major chord for 4 beats...repeat. Dorian is said to invoke a sad or serious but hopeful feeling, so I think it fits.
    Written and mixed 100% on an iPad Air 2. Apps used were Korg Gadget, Korg Module.

I really like this track! I'm going into yoga I think.