Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon MIDI Recorder - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

edited March 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

Walking through the main functions of the new AUv3 MIDI recorder by Tony Saunders, Photon!

Comments

• Excellent. I take it that means it's in late beta and due for release soon?

• Nope - this means that it is available RIGHT NOW in the app store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979?mt=8

• thx @Daveypoo for this coverage.

As you said the UI is being updated - my idea of showing a block diagram showing where data moves too doesn't sit well with today's modern minimalist UI - so its changing towards that (eg files panel scrolls out).

The duration on pad playback works with start - it determines how long (in beats) a loop is - so a buffer of 10 beats starting at 2 with duration 1 only plays events between 2.0 & 3.0 beats. As this can be automated you can create midi clips in one midi file and play them individually.

At the moment only AUM supports individual pad outputs. apeMatrix & Audiobus are in development to support this soon.

You midi kbd input to the raven piano & Photon is better as kbd->Photon->Raven - using Photon thru, otherwise you would get doubled input to the pad during recording.

You're correct in thinking Groove will transfer the rhythm to the original file - so it sounds they same (pitch), but the start times are of the groove. You can transfer velocity too if you wish. For patterns, Groove works best with short (e.g. 1 or 2 bars) of notes & rests - the pitch is ignored, but of course you can just apply any midi file to any other midi file!

The next update is out very soon (hopefully next week) and fixes the bugs & updates the UI mainly - but includes enhancements to improve workflow (record to autoload pads & play, working with multi-track files, better control on length of midi clips for looping etc).

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer said:
    thx @Daveypoo for this coverage.

As you said the UI is being updated - my idea of showing a block diagram showing where data moves too doesn't sit well with today's modern minimalist UI - so its changing towards that (eg files panel scrolls out).

The duration on pad playback works with start - it determines how long (in beats) a loop is - so a buffer of 10 beats starting at 2 with duration 1 only plays events between 2.0 & 3.0 beats. As this can be automated you can create midi clips in one midi file and play them individually.

At the moment only AUM supports individual pad outputs. apeMatrix & Audiobus are in development to support this soon.

You midi kbd input to the raven piano & Photon is better as kbd->Photon->Raven - using Photon thru, otherwise you would get doubled input to the pad during recording.

You're correct in thinking Groove will transfer the rhythm to the original file - so it sounds they same (pitch), but the start times are of the groove. You can transfer velocity too if you wish. For patterns, Groove works best with short (e.g. 1 or 2 bars) of notes & rests - the pitch is ignored, but of course you can just apply any midi file to any other midi file!

The next update is out very soon (hopefully next week) and fixes the bugs & updates the UI mainly - but includes enhancements to improve workflow (record to autoload pads & play, working with multi-track files, better control on length of midi clips for looping etc).

Excellent! Thanks for all the follow up details, Tony - I hope the video was still clear in the illustration of the workflow. I definitely missed a number of deeper functions and other tricks, but my hope is that this will at least get folks started.

I copied your comments above and added them to the comments on my video. You're absolutely welcome - thank you so much for all these incredible tools!

Looking forward to messing with Polythemus as well!

• @Daveypoo said:
    Nope - this means that it is available RIGHT NOW in the app store!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979?mt=8

HOLY CRAP INSTABUY SERIOUSLY

• Everyone cheer the non MIDIots if iOS who diligently make creative and utilitarian tools!
    Huzzah!

• @audiblevideo said:
    Everyone cheer the non MIDIots if iOS who diligently make creative and utilitarian tools!
    Huzzah!

I do not consider myself a member of that camp. I am absolutely a MIDIot

• @Daveypoo this is a true service and much needed. It took away any reservations that I had that I didn't need it. Excellent work my friend.

• @kinkujin said:
    @Daveypoo this is a true service and much needed. It took away any reservations that I had that I didn't need it. Excellent work my friend.

Awesome! So glad it helped - it is daunting on first look, but once you get the idea it's not so hard.

• @Daveypoo said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Everyone cheer the non MIDIots if iOS who diligently make creative and utilitarian tools!
    Huzzah!

I do not consider myself a member of that camp. I am absolutely a MIDIot

I didn’t want to call anyone out 😉

• Now I'm glad I own this App. I gave in 5 minutes and just got confused. Of course, I was missing one small detail to understand it's capability to make me more effective. This video
    should be watched before anyone opens the App and then used as a training exercise following along in short segments that you repeat with your own iPad.

I hope no one gets confused by the use of ApeMatrix for the routing. Any MIDI FX capable host can use this AU MIDI plug-in.

I'm so glad Groove means something to me now. I can wait to hear what my rhythmic keyboard tendencies do to improve my usually boring baselines. The reverse scenario here where Daveypoo thinks like a bass player and improves the timing and creativity of the chordal instrument. That's an ingenious idea.

• @McD said:
    Now I'm glad I own this App. I gave in 5 minutes and just got confused. Of course, I was missing one small detail to understand it's capability to make me more effective. This video
    should be watched before anyone opens the App and then used as a training exercise following along in short segments that you repeat with your own iPad.

I hope no one gets confused by the use of ApeMatrix for the routing. Any MIDI FX capable host can use this AU MIDI plug-in.

I'm so glad Groove means something to me now. I can wait to hear what my rhythmic keyboard tendencies do to improve my usually boring baselines. The reverse scenario here where Daveypoo thinks like a bass player and improves the timing and creativity of the chordal instrument. That's an ingenious idea.

You're very kind.

• Does it loop?

• @Korakios said:
    Does it loop?

Yes - the MIDI assigned to a pad will loop if you don't hit the stop button.

• edited March 2019

@Daveypoo said:

@Korakios said:
    Does it loop?

Yes - the MIDI assigned to a pad will loop if you don't hit the stop button.

It can loop slower or faster than originally recorded as well as several other parameters including looping for a specified number of times.

• It is not possible to save any pad back to the midi files. It don’t stores or saves the midi content.
    Only the name!

Sorry for my bad English.

So it’s not possible to share the mash pad into a daw.

• edited March 2019

@hei said:
    It is not possible to save any pad back to the midi files. It don’t stores or saves the midi content.
    Only the name!

It’s a bit confusing but the assign button works both ways. You can assign a midi file to the buffer and assign the buffer to a pad. After the file/sequence groove mashup is in the buffer you can then save.

• @hei said:
    It is not possible to save any pad back to the midi files. It don’t stores or saves the midi content.
    Only the name!

this is a bug Ive fixed for the next update, so dont copy the pads to the internal buffer as it doesnt save the content.

• edited March 2019

Thanks @Daveypoo for giving an overview!

I've just found a new use for my old trusty Modstep: Set MIDI clips to loops=1 and use unquantized launch mode, almost like having ChordPolyPad for sequences! 😍

• @rs2000 said:
    Thanks @Daveypoo for giving an overview!

I've just found a new use for my old trusty Modstep: Set MIDI clips to loops=1 and use unquantized launch mode, almost like having ChordPolyPad for sequences! 😍

Awesome! So glad you were able to repurpose an older app - thanks for watching!