Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What about merging AUM Ape Audiobus?

Comments

• Sorta like a Max/MSP 'environment where you build your own kickass ipad studio full of synths?

But really, you know, done right... With all the benefits of each system. I don't know how buddies or not you are...

• Should be ideal. I think however it’s not in iOS modular nature. In fact I like this modularity.

But the app which has most chances to evolve that way IMO is Audiobus. It already has audio and midi, midi learn and is rock solid. We need audio busses and audio recording, already requested and planned. Inbuild LFO’s should be cool too. More complicated for matrices IMO.

• @Janosax said:
    Should be ideal. I think however it’s not in iOS modular nature. In fact I like this modularity.

But the app which has most chances to evolve that way IMO is Audiobus. It already has audio and midi, midi learn and is rock solid. We need audio busses and audio recording, already requested and planned. Inbuild LFO’s should be cool too. More complicated for matrices IMO.

I think your idea about Audiobus is on the money.
    I use it to host the other hosts, so the 3 apps mentioned in the OP do work very well together. Plus you can add a DAW (Cubasis for me) into the mix, as well.

• edited March 2019

@CracklePot yes Audiobus is the glue for all apps, it’s more and more mature, I also use it with GarageBand as AU midi host with midi clock to Link using Rozeta LFO or Envolver triggering parameters via midi learn, works very very well. It’s also the perfect live stuff tool. Can’t miss however apeMatrix routing and LFO, really this works like a big modular instrument. I use more AUM for live performance/recording with audio sources or synths like Geoshred. As you said, all of those works really well together. Each one of them give different approach and inspiration. Love them all. That’s also true that mastering all that iOS modularity needs lot of practice to know all audio/midi interaction and routing to keep the creativity while producing and performing. Took me a full year to have some automatisms. I often used iPhone notes to write all rules behind that, this has helped me a lot building my own iOS workflow. All of this is fun and misses me when I use my laptop and its limitless Ableton DAW.

• edited March 2019

I like them all as separate apps as each developer spurs the other to new heights. I have enough monolithic audio software on the desktop. What I like and want more of on iOS is lots of nimble components that plug into each other according to the project I'm working on.

Sure that means there's some overlap with the likes of Ape, AUM & AB, but they each bring their own flavour and flexibility.

• @jonmoore said:
    I like them all as separate apps as each developer spurs the other to new heights. I have enough monolithic audio software on the desktop. What I like and want more of on iOS is lots of nimble components that plug into each other according to the project I'm working on.

Sure that means there's some overlap with the likes of Ape, AUM & AB, but they each bring their own flavour and flexibility.

I like AUM for reliability and ease of setup, APE for the screen real estate conservation and auto control of parameters, Ironically, AB I have spent the least amount of time on, I should get a better idea when / where it makes sense to use it...

• Eggs, baskets. Just a thought...

• edited July 2020

@Janosax said:
    Should be ideal. I think however it’s not in iOS modular nature. In fact I like this modularity.

I guess it depends how much time @Michael can dedicate to Audiobus with Loopy Pro development in full swing and regular bugs to chase.

I think we will be stuck in this purgatory for a while. Seems like waiting is the IOS way. :)

• edited July 2020

@supadom said:

@Janosax said:

I guess it depends how much time @Michael can dedicate to Audiobus with Loopy Pro development in full swing and regular bugs to chase.

I think we will be stuck in this purgatory for a while. Seems like waiting is the IOS way. :)

Lol that post is from March 2019!! I use far less AB for production. I use now mostly AUM/GTL for live stuff and CB3 for DAW work including stems production. Waiting for Loopy Pro in 2020 (fingers crossed) and new AB features perhaps in 2021. I still like iOS DAWless production approach but ressources management is still the major limitation in 2020 IMO. CB3 freezing works really well here.