Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Overpuddinging the egg – More is even more!

2»

Comments

• Stop putting pudding on your eggs. Grrr-oss! :D

• Another contender for power trio...and being as I put them here......an example of where the song shines through in all 3 versions

• @AndyPlankton You know they got accused of plagiarism on that song? Supposedly ripped the bass line off from here

Similar, but I don’t hear it as the same. Lots of twisty, winding bass lines back then, so why would it be copying of one example, eh? Interesting that Dave Grohl went on to play on my probably favorite Killing Joke album.

• edited April 2018

@CracklePot said:
    @AndyPlankton You know they got accused of plagiarism on that song? Supposedly ripped the bass line off from here

Similar, but I don’t hear it as the same. Lots of twisty, winding bass lines back then, so why would it be copying of one example, eh? Interesting that Dave Grohl went on to play on my probably favorite Killing Joke album.

Interesting.....perhaps that's why it sounded so instantly familiar when i first heard it....
    My last SOTMC entry with bluepunk had the lyrics ripped off from....I mean re-interpreted from a Killing Joke track too :)

• edited April 2018

Interesting topic. I have seen the screenshots of daws with 140 tracks and such. I think that’s absolute wankery. And most of them are likely individual drum hits, automation, etc. you certainly don’t have 140 tracks of lead melody or anything the listener is likely to remember. But what about the subtle magic dust that pleases the ear and oozes into the subconscious? STILL dont need that many tracks. excessive track count in my opinion is a symptom of not knowing how to create a textured sound stage very well. Because if they knew they could save themselves a lot of time. Think about it this way, iKaossilator has only 5 tracks available at a time. And I still occasionally make it sound way too busy/textured. So with that in mind, what the hell do these producers need so many tracks for? They must be compensating for deficits in other areas.

I mean look at Auxy, regardless of what you think of the apps subscription status/developers,etc, you got a 20 track limit, automation, and some multiband compression under the hood. And the best tracks from that app sound professional as hell.

• @db909 said:
    Interesting topic. I have seen the screenshots of daws with 140 tracks and such. I think that’s absolute wankery. And most of them are likely individual drum hits, automation, etc. you certainly don’t have 140 tracks of lead melody or anything the listener is likely to remember. But what about the subtle magic dust that pleases the ear and oozes into the subconscious? STILL dont need that many tracks. excessive track count in my opinion is a symptom of not knowing how to create a textured sound stage very well. Because if they knew they could save themselves a lot of time. Think about it this way, iKaossilator has only 5 tracks available at a time. And I still occasionally make it sound way too busy/textured. So with that in mind, what the hell do these producers need so many tracks for? They must be compensating for deficits in other areas.

I mean look at Auxy, regardless of what you think of the apps subscription status/developers,etc, you got a 20 track limit, automation, and some multiband compression under the hood. And the best tracks from that app sound professional as hell.

I agree that 140 tracks are probably way more than any mere human could effectively utilize. But there are some advantages to going beyond 5, or even 20 tracks. You obviously wouldn’t want to use a bunch of rich-timbre sounds because that would lead to noise/chaos pretty quickly. You wouldn’t necessarily have to run a unique sound on each individual track, either.
    You could quickly get into a high number of tracks if you reuse a few sounds many times with different types of processing applied, but you can achieve a very thick sound this way. Also, when just considering a mixing board in a studio, you don’t really know how many of those mixer channels are being used as busses or even to just crossfade different non-overlapping song sections in any specific mixing session.

With iKaossilator, I frequently think it sounds too busy if I have all 5 tracks going together, but I always thought it was because there is no mixing functionality to balance the individual track levels. I never use it on its own for that reason, but usually use it with Blocs or Loopy so I have some control over the mix of the loops.

Even though, I still prefer to stay as simple in my setups as possible when trying to be productive. But I do experimental things sometimes where I get up in high track counts. Those usually end up crashing and burning at some point on iOS for some reason. :D

• edited April 2018

@db909 said:

True but mostly they use so many tracks to can change tiny parts of a track if they want, add or remove things without altering the half track and/or having own FX/processing for single sounds etc.
    It´s indeed...sometimes more is just more. But not always of course.
    I use myself mostly not much tracks maybe 6-20. But sometimes 50 or sometimes even just 1! :)
    You can get the same results. If you take time to layer a sound and record it in one take or 20 parts of it and put it together one by one.

• @Cib said:

@db909 said:

True but mostly they use so many tracks to can change tiny parts of a track if they want, add or remove things without altering the half track and/or having own FX/processing for single sounds etc.
    It´s indeed...sometimes more is just more. But not always of course.
    I use myself mostly not much tracks maybe 6-20. But sometimes 50 or sometimes even just 1! :)
    You can get the same results. If you take time to layer a sound and record it in one take or 20 parts of it and put it together one by one.

For sure. I guess I’m always thinking economically with music. I’d try to achieve all those things with the least amount of headache. But yeah if you are processing little bits here and there all differently of course it will add up.

@CracklePot good point regarding busses, etc

• 200+ tracks... eventually.

• More sound soup.

• Someone posted this at V.I.Control and there is something indeed which might translate to other genres as well.
    Sometimes less is more too :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=163&v=gbMot8BhnJc

• @u0421793 said:

@brambos said:
    I love how you put this in the Japanese support section :D

Well, when you’re big in Japan…

(Not saying that this is an over complicated pudding, er, song)

With a 30+ year old pop song, it seems Alphaville had to change things up quite a bit with their approach to the vocals in particular so they could tolerate playing it for the umpteenth time.

• @InfoCheck said:

@u0421793 said:

@brambos said:
    I love how you put this in the Japanese support section :D

Well, when you’re big in Japan…

(Not saying that this is an over complicated pudding, er, song)

With a 30+ year old pop song, it seems Alphaville had to change things up quite a bit with their approach to the vocals in particular so they could tolerate playing it for the umpteenth time.

I really can’t imagine what it must be like to actually perform a song I’ve written again and again. I mean, how would it be possible to remember the lyrics, exactly as they were recorded? I’d almost certainly find that the lyrics I remember are different each time, just as they were when I wrote them.

• ... perfect

• @CracklePot said:
    Here's one that always comes to mind for me

• @scottsunn
    You win, man.
    Your video featured a way better ‘Trio’.
    Devil Girls!!!
    B)