Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different drummer.... What's your thoughts

I'm a huge patterning 2 fan and dd looks like it plays similarly, I've heard some really crazy patterns on YouTube with it, .... But how are the sounds... Analog? Synth ? Samples??
I wanna do odd patterns of hats and some field recorded percs...
It looks a little ugly but if it produces... I'm ok with it

Comments

• Different Drummer is NOTHING like Patterning. It is it's own beast to be sure.

Here's the honest truth:

The internal sounds suck.
    The interface is intimidating/bad/ugly/non-intuitive
    The learning curve is steep.

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way:

This app can make sounds and do things no other app can. You can't walk into DD thinking you're going to make beats - it doesn't work that way. I look at it more like Michaelangelo might look at a block of marble - you start with a lot and have to take things away to reveal the beauty underneath.

Straight out of the gate you'll not be able to do anything but make it sound messy. But as you work with it, if you give it time, you'll come up with some REALLY wild polyrhythms. And then you can route the MIDI out to trigger other synths, which is when things really go mad.

I'm planning a Different Drummer video soon - in the next month or so. I'll dig in there and show you what it can do, if you can wait that long.

It's definitely not an app for everyone, but if you've got the wherewithall and a bunch of patience, it's incredible.

@johnfromberkeley My appreciation for Different Drummer is all your fault, BTW.

• Just redownloaded due to UI update. Deleted again in under a minute. Maybe I'm missing out, but I'll never know/care.

• edited March 2019

DD is an incredible example of what Sun Ra said about life, matter, light, sound, humans, everything...

EVERYTHING, is just waveforms interacting with other waveforms.

I absolutely love it as a statement about reality, and a sort of tangible proof that you can get to every transition, rhythm, pattern, all of it - using nothing but waveforms. As an instrument, I have definitely struggled...

But it is a very hefty proposition, and its amazing to see all the diverse patterns and control you can find using waveforms alone... Its pretty crazy that app exists at all!

Want a chord, scale, rhythm... pop melody? Every single melody can be derived from a series of waveform modulations, and I don't mean pressing keys with your brilliant mind, I mean waveform + waveform + waveform + waveform = everything.

Our brilliant minds are waveform conductors!!

I look at DD as making music the way it ACTUALLY gets made, without our divine filter system...

• @oat_phipps said:
    Just redownloaded due to UI update. Deleted again in under a minute. Maybe I'm missing out, but I'll never know/care.

Well, you know the old saying...

No pain,
    No worries.
    ;)

• @scottsunn said:
    DD is an incredible example of what Sun Ra said about life, matter, light, sound, humans, everything...

EVERYTHING, is just waveforms interacting with other waveforms.

I absolutely love it as a statement about reality, and a sort of tangible proof that you can get to every transition, rhythm, pattern, all of it - using nothing but waveforms. As an instrument, I have definitely struggled...

But it is a very hefty proposition, and its amazing to see all the diverse patterns and control you can find using waveforms alone... Its pretty crazy that app exists at all!

Want a chord, scale, rhythm... pop melody? Every single melody can be derived from a series of waveform modulations, and I don't mean pressing keys with your brilliant mind, I mean waveform + waveform + waveform + waveform = everything.

Our brilliant minds are waveform conductors!!

You definitely have to walk into this app with an open mind. And a willingness to work around the internal sounds and interface - these are definitely weak points.

• I feel like it could evolve into a pretty sexy control / modulation machine.

• I’m a long time user and have a good deal of stuff posted in SoundCloud and YT. It’s easy to get too busy within a composition, so I’d recommend learning how to rein things in.

Agreed that the internal sounds leave a bit to be desired, but that’s not too big a hurdle when coupled with midi.

Here's a Soundcloud example....

The vast majority of what’s in my SC page is DD.

Here's one of a few YT videos I’ve put out there....

• Oh yeah....another tip. The Apple Pencil really helps open DD up!

• Similar, but way more approachable apps are Oscilab and the PolyHymnia IAP in Xequence.
    But Different Drummer has a lot to offer, if you can crack that nut.

• @CracklePot said:
    Similar, but way more approachable apps are Oscilab and the PolyHymnia IAP in Xequence.

See - here's where you and I differ:

I can make sense of DD. I can't make heads or tails of PolyHymnia.

Not that one is better than the others, but it's clear that the wiring in your brain is lacking in mine. Can we do some sort of data transfer? USB3?

• @Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:
    Similar, but way more approachable apps are Oscilab and the PolyHymnia IAP in Xequence.

See - here's where you and I differ:

I can make sense of DD. I can't make heads or tails of PolyHymnia.

Not that one is better than the others, but it's clear that the wiring in your brain is lacking in mine. Can we do some sort of data transfer? USB3?

Maybe Airdrop?
    Seriously though, if you ever have any questions about any of this stuff, I am happy to attempt an assist. You have helped me plenty with your great YT channel.
    B)

• Yea... I've totally given up on it. The UI is just too "special." I can get pretty much identical rhythms out of other tools WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier.

It's funny, I should like it since I've actually built an almost identical system in Reaper using CC LFO's, etc. and I can get really cool stuff out that I can shift and morph in musical ways. DD is far too time consuming and obtuse to get beats that I can get with a few instances of Rozetta Rhythm, Roz Scaler, and ROZ LFO.

I honestly think someone could learn to actually play drums before they could figure out DD in a way that's usable.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Yea... I've totally given up on it. The UI is just too "special." I can get pretty much identical rhythms out of other tools WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier.

It's funny, I should like it since I've actually built an almost identical system in Reaper using CC LFO's, etc. and I can get really cool stuff out that I can shift and morph in musical ways. DD is far too time consuming and obtuse to get beats that I can get with a few instances of Rozetta Rhythm, Roz Scaler, and ROZ LFO.

I honestly think someone could learn to actually play drums before they could figure out DD in a way that's usable.

Even with the cleaned up UI?
    It seems to make more sense to me now. But it has a lot of functionality built in, so if you want to do something specific, it can be hard to figure out how to accomplish it with this app.
    I guess I go to this app when I want results that have never occured to me. It is good at surprising me.

• I'm loving this app; it's very powerful. However, it needs a ton more midi controls.

• 8 thumbs down

• @oat_phipps said:
    8 thumbs down

Booo! ;)

There's tons of merit here if you can stomach the interface - as my man @oat_phipps above pointed out, it can be very polarizing. I dig it, but to say there's a learning curve is being EXTREMELY forgiving.

I did a video about it a couple months ago - hope this helps.

• @Daveypoo said:

@oat_phipps said:
    8 thumbs down

Booo! ;)

There's tons of merit here if you can stomach the interface - as my man @oat_phipps above pointed out, it can be very polarizing. I dig it, but to say there's a learning curve is being EXTREMELY forgiving.

I did a video about it a couple months ago - hope this helps.

Yeah I tried to make my review as shallow as my few attempts to really dive into it, so people wouldn't think I was too much of a hater. Just couldn't get even a single click with it.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Yeah I tried to make my review as shallow as my few attempts to really dive into it, so people wouldn't think I was too much of a hater. Just couldn't get even a single click with it.

I'm just bustin' on ya - couldn't resist. 😁

• edited June 2019

My 2cents I like it. I find it completely liberating. It helps If you:
    1. Pay no mind to the built in samples (import your own or Midi out)
    2. Have no preconceived ideas as to what you’re trying to achieve.

It gives you truly original ideas through a truly original interface. You can achieve basic grooves but there are a billion apps for that. If you want to explore rhythm and melody without plinking around on a grid or piano roll this app is your best friend.

On top of waves (stuck to grids if you wish) that give you flexibility within what you generate there is morphing and random generation on top of it.

Watch @funjunkie27 YouTube vids And @Daveypoo s

They’ll both give you a good idea. If you have a bit of free cash try it. It’s a bargain compare to its price when it was released ;)