Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NPD - AUv3 Phase Distortion Synth - Demo for the iPad

New Phase Distortion synth called NPD, it's also AUv3.

Comments

• I do really like the sound of this synth, but wow, $20 is kinda steep....

• glad for this video, i was on the fence about it...now i know its a pass

• big pass on that price

• One to put on the Black Friday watch list.

• edited March 2019

The price is higher than some iOS synths, but the official Casio CZ App on the App Store is also $20, and NPD seems to have more features, a better workflow, and AUv3. I suspect that CZ App won't ever be AU, though time will tell.

• edited March 2019

I wish there was AU that supported CZ sysex like the KQ Dixie does for DX7 patches. KQ Dixie made my TX802 even more obsolete, heh.

CZ - phase distortion, the quirky clone of FM. Digital at heart but Analog in soul.

• edited March 2019

@nondes said:
    I wish there was AU that supported CZ sysex like the KQ Dixie does for DX7 patches. KQ Dixie made my TX802 even more obsolete, heh.

CZ - phase Modulation, the quirky clone of FM. Digital at heart but Analog in soul.

That would definitely be cool. I think there's a ton of CZ sysex out there.

I confess that I have a CZ-101 (obtained in 1986 and in storage since 1990), but never really dug into it back in the day. Most of its 16 factory presets were uninspiring, but I suspect it's capable of interesting noises.

• edited March 2019

@overorange Phase Distortion is amazing. Another CZ option is Virtual CZ which supports CZ patches. For your cz101 which I have as well, the best option is to use the Patch Base app, which makes it super easy to edit patches and send them to/from cz101.

• edited March 2019

Unfortunately, NPD seems to lack the CZ multi-stage envelopes (up to 8 stages) that made the CZ1000 something of a cult instrument. And with today's processing power I would have preferred to see something more ambitious - more along the lines of a CZ5000 (which is in effect two CZ1000 stacks).

Probably the biggest thing disappointment for me is that the overall tone had that brittle digital quality that gave digital something of a bad name in the 80's. Plus the DSP overhead was really worrying for how thin it sounded. I believe Doug updated his iPad to a 2018 model and many of the patches he demoed were showing 40% plus in AUM.

I'd love to see NPD be less pedestrian as Phase Distortion is for many a more intuitive version of FM (although I believe modern UI's have fixed many of those UX issues). But it really needs to be more DSP efficient too.

• edited March 2019

@jonmoore said:
    Probably the biggest thing disappointment for me is that the overall tone had that brittle digital quality that gave digital something of a bad name in the 80's. Plus the DSP overhead was really worrying for how thin it sounded. I believe Doug updated his iPad to a 2018 model and many of the patches he demoed were showing 40% plus in AUM.

I'd love to see NPD be less pedestrian as Phase Distortion is for many a more intuitive version of FM (although I believe modern UI's have fixed many of those UX issues). But it really needs to be more DSP efficient too.

I’ve gotten some pretty dense and meaty sounds from NPD, but it’s definitely a cpu eater. I’m on a mini 4, so anything heavy tends to yield obvious glitch, and NPD can hit Model D levels of stuttering from the cpu getting the business. I like all of this dev’s synths, but they’re all gonna challenge lower end hardware like mine.

• I do want to note that the stuttering only happens in a few of the factory presets, but I still see NPD taking lots of cpu in AUM as @jonmoore pointed out from watching Doug’s video.

• edited March 2019

@overorange There's a really great and stunningly accurate emulation of the CZ1000 available as a VST and it's super light on CPU so I think there's some serious optimization required for NPD. It really shouldn't be hitting Model D levels of processing firepower requirements. There's even a Max for Live emulation available that's less hungry for CPU cycles.

VirtualCZ from pluginboutique.com

• You know, I was on the beta for some reason. Never really dug in and then it came out. And it is, as has been noted, rather “spendy,” as they say.

But this thing sounds unlike anything on my iPad. This demo is great but it doesn’t hint at how weird this thing is. I’m thinking I might pick it up, and I’m really cheap! $14.99 and I wouldn't hesitate.

• My first synth was a CZ3000. I think it’s still in my mum’s loft. I think I need to get it down. I loved that synth.

It was quite easy to program, unlike the Yamahas and also very unlike the VZ-1 I also owned (but quickly sold — lovely keyboard but completely inscrutable!)

I would definitely be interested in a nice auv3 CZ plug-in but if Casio could make them run on 1980s silicon a plug-in shouldn’t need to be so power hungry.

Agreed about the price too. Whilst it’s not much in the grand scheme of things I can think of many apps I don’t currently have which I would use a £20 gift card for before this one. And I could get through a whole
    Load of £20 cards without NPd getting on the ‘to buy’ list.

I have a few buts of gear in my mums loft. I really must get them all down! I quite fancy a play on the CZ3000 now :-)

• @overorange said:
    The price is higher than some iOS synths, but the official Casio CZ App on the App Store is also $20, and NPD seems to have more features, a better workflow, and AUv3. I suspect that CZ App won't ever be AU, though time will tell.

The Casio CZ app just gone on sale down to £9.99 obviously competition hurting.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@overorange said:

Just wish it was an AUv3. Sure it's 4 part multi-timbral but anyways :)

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@overorange said:

Have you heard NPD?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@overorange said:

Have you heard NPD?

Not in person, only in videos. I no longer buy every single music app that pops up in the AppStore...

• @Samu said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@overorange said:

Have you heard NPD?

Not in person, only in videos. I no longer buy every single music app that pops up in the AppStore...

But I assume you beta test them all!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

But I assume you beta test them all!

Nope, that's not the case either :D
    Most of the apps I've been testing so far have not received any betas in ages...

To my knowledge there are no 'open forums' where developers actively look for beta-testers for new apps...
    (And if there were I'm super allergic to NDAs anyway).

• Very cool sounding synth.

On sale for Black Friday

• Argh.

I’m saving myself a fortune with all these sales as I keep going to buy apps on my iPhone and find out they’re iPad only. :-(

• @klownshed said:
    Argh.

I’m saving myself a fortune with all these sales as I keep going to buy apps on my iPhone and find out they’re iPad only. :-(

Well that’s one way to save money 🙂

• Grabbed this for the sale, wow... Really nice for more dist guitar type sounds, and for gritty punchy bass. Reminds me a bit of the Korg Prophecy in how it sounds, but I know that was Phase Modulation, but... similar concept I guess...