Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Searching for usb-c adapter for iPad pro 2018

For the new iPad i need a solution to load the battery and stream audio out at the same time.

Has everyone a Tip - i need the function it was as before, with the old adapter for the lightning port...

sorry for english mistakes, hope it is understandable... thx!

Comments

• If you want to go with Apple, this is the adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A. Any USB-C hub with power passthrough should work, but at least in their Amazon pages many of them explicitly say that they're not compatible with the iPad Pro.

• I have the VAVA hub and an off brand hub, both work, no issues so far in the few months I’ve had this setup. Both hubs were like 40 bucks.

• edited March 2019

Anker. I just bought one with 3 USB 3.0 ports and pass thru charging. Very nice looking ($30US-$3 coupon=$27). They have varieties for the same device, depending on ports you want. Respected, reliable company. Trust me, you will like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS3PQG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thing is, it's good looking, so it matches the iPad. I generally hate these things, as they are ugly as wall warts. This one is nice, surprisingly. Nicer than the ugly white Apple stuff. Also, it just works. No issues.

Don't buy the Apple dongle. It's too short at 3 inches, and hangs off the iPad, and like I said, it's ugly, which makes it worse. The Anker one is 6 inches. I think most are six inches.

Also, most of these charge-through USB-C devices (there are a few) are costly. The Anker one is cheaper, and probably nicer too.

Apple REALLY needs to update the white stuff. Just is lazy. Those earbuds are going to get some color.

note: One last thing (save someone some money maybe). The Apple dongle doesn't seem to work with a USB-C extension cable. I bought one as the dongle at 3 inches is too short. It doesn't work, yet that same extension cable works with the Anker (which doesn't need it of course).

• @Nubus said:
    Anker. I just bought one with 3 USB 3.0 ports and pass thru charging. Very nice looking ($30US-$3 coupon=$27). They have varieties for the same device, depending on ports you want. Respected, reliable company. Trust me, you will like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS3PQG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thing is, it's good looking, so it matches the iPad. I generally hate these things, as they are ugly as wall warts. This one is nice, surprisingly. Nicer than the ugly white Apple stuff. Also, it just works. No issues.

Don't buy the Apple dongle. It's too short at 3 inches, and hangs off the iPad, and like I said, it's ugly, which makes it worse. The Anker one is 6 inches. I think most are six inches.

Also, most of these charge-through USB-C devices (there are a few) are costly. The Anker one is cheaper, and probably nicer too.

Apple REALLY needs to update the white stuff. Just is lazy. Those earbuds are going to get some color.

note: One last thing (save someone some money maybe). The Apple dongle doesn't seem to work with a USB-C extension cable. I bought one as the dongle at 3 inches is too short. It doesn't work, yet that same extension cable works with the Anker (which doesn't need it of course).

Is that a 3.5mm output next to the usbs?

• USB-C hell turned my iPad Pro 2018 into a mere web browser machine.

What a waste

• @realdawei said:
    USB-C hell turned my iPad Pro 2018 into a mere web browser machine.

What a waste

You’ll hate me for saying it, but thank god or whoever for type c, it means we don’t have to buy MFI accessories and proprietary nonsense, all you need is a good lil hub and you can connect to anything, no daisy chaining 12 adapters together... I can say that it would suck if I was stuck w lightning accessories that I couldn’t use anymore, but I still have an iPhone so they still have use.
    Did they even make a good lightning multi usb hub? I only had the camera adapter, one port, and I had nothing but problems trying to run a multi port hub off of that thing. Type c wins, and I’m sorry if it’s been a pain for you.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@realdawei said:

What a waste

You’ll hate me for saying it, but thank god or whoever for type c, it means we don’t have to buy MFI accessories and proprietary nonsense, all you need is a good lil hub and you can connect to anything, no daisy chaining 12 adapters together... I can say that it would suck if I was stuck w lightning accessories that I couldn’t use anymore, but I still have an iPhone so they still have use.
    Did they even make a good lightning multi usb hub? I only had the camera adapter, one port, and I had nothing but problems trying to run a multi port hub off of that thing. Type c wins, and I’m sorry if it’s been a pain for you.

It’s all good. USB-C is cool tech, just that all the hub mumbo jumbo, brittle-wired adapters and general eco system immaturity made it more of an on desk kind of thing for now. And if I’m gonna have to sit at a desk I might as well use the Mac where there are even fewer software compromises at the moment. And core audio glitch gate was not amusing 😂

So that shit will sit right now until until the iPad team at manzana gets a a fukin clue.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@realdawei said:

What a waste

One of the many good things about lightning and MFi is that it would work properly. I never had any problem plugging a usb hub into the Camera Connection Kit, but that’s because I used a decent usb hub. The problem is cheap USB accessories. And even worse, cheap knockoff Camera Connection Kits.

USB-C is no different. Buy cheap and often it will have problems. This shows up more for us, as audio is quite demanding on USB.

• @nerVe said:
    I've been using this for a few weeks now:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE6ME9998&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC--pla-CE+COMPASS--Notebook+Port+Replicators+%2F+Docking+Stations-_-9SIA1HE6ME9998&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzePjBRCRARIsAGkrSm4JYOYqhUNjz9S39mGTkPf_tdAoHlyyI__JdwIPeMgir99cNti6pX4aApe5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Have not tried the HDMI yet, but USB is to be working well! The 11-inch fits nice in the holder, the 12 is a bit big for the holder without a slight modification...

That design is great. Finally something that actually looks good and is not just hanging off the side of the USB-C port. They just need to build one with a 3.5mm jack for those times I don’t feel like plugging in the full-size audio interface.

• I have been using this one since the beginning of the year;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBPJ15X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61A+4fafGrL.SX522.jpg

Works faultlessly. Allow me to power my Zoom U-24 and my Samson Graphite 49 from my iPad Pro 12.9 when not connected to mains.

Highly recommend.

• @mistercharlie said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@realdawei said:

What a waste

One of the many good things about lightning and MFi is that it would work properly. I never had any problem plugging a usb hub into the Camera Connection Kit, but that’s because I used a decent usb hub. The problem is cheap USB accessories. And even worse, cheap knockoff Camera Connection Kits.

USB-C is no different. Buy cheap and often it will have problems. This shows up more for us, as audio is quite demanding on USB

Yeah, lightning is fine, I guess I just like having more options, and I agree that nobody should buy cheapo accessories, especially in the audio game. I had some issues w lightning resetting my phone randomly with a belkin powered hub through the cam adapter, I honestly didn’t use iOS for more than just messing around a little as far as audio goes, since the 3rd gen Pro came out, a lot more, been recording everything through iPad nowadays. Every accessory has worked without any added effort so far.
    As far as audio bandwidth, either is fine, even usb A is plenty fast enough for multiple channels in and out. That’s one thing people get real dumb about, type c audio interface completely mega bandwidth overkill lol.

• @realdawei said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@realdawei said:

What a waste

It’s all good. USB-C is cool tech, just that all the hub mumbo jumbo, brittle-wired adapters and general eco system immaturity made it more of an on desk kind of thing for now. And if I’m gonna have to sit at a desk I might as well use the Mac where there are even fewer software compromises at the moment. And core audio glitch gate was not amusing 😂

So that shit will sit right now until until the iPad team at manzana gets a a fukin clue.

I won’t lie, I bought a cheapo hub at first just hoping it would be fine, and it was lol. This is my first and only type c device (aside from a c input on my desktop). I can vouch that the VAVA hub works great, 3 usb3 ports, c power in, Ethernet, and hdmi. I record everything through the off brand hub plugged into audio interface still just because it fits better the way my stuff is set up. But yeah, I would also be mad if I did have issues after buying this IPad, so I don’t blame you.
    Haha yeah, you mean all the cpu spikes on new Pro? That was a mess, I literally bought this IPad just for audio purposes, spent a bunch on fancy apps, and had nothing but garbage for the 2 months or whatever til one of the betas fixed it (mostly). I still get random weird audio issues, but cpu isn’t spiking, it’ll just kinda randomly have latency for a few seconds, and only while recording in certain apps, luckily no problem recording external audio or having complex midi out routings.

• Would love to hear a suggestion for one with an mic/headphone port.

I see some on Amazon, but the quality and compatibility are such a crap shoot without hearing from someone who's using one.

Even with good reviews most people don't have the same audio expectations.

• Don’t buy one with a headphone port if you plan to use it with an audio interface. Unless you plug things in in the correct order, the USB-C hub will “steal” the audio output from the interface.

• edited March 2019

Kingston Nucleum is the one to go with. Its the one I use. It has two USB C ports, one for data and audio, the other for charging. I bought the USB C to 3.5mm adapter from apple to use with it. Works fine. Hubs with a headphone port automatically change the audio output when plugged in and cant be changed. You cannot use the speakers on the iPad when those hubs are plugged in. That doesn't happen with this hub.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Nucleum-Adapter-Connect-microSD/dp/B076BGJXTG

• +1 for the Nucleus!