Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

alesis io2 soundcard with ipad 3rd generation and usb powered hub not working!

Hi all,

I'm running quantiloop pro on my ipad 3rd generation (30pin connector). I want to connect my usb alesis io2 souncard to the ipad so that I can use the inputs on the soudcard to play and record loops on guitar/vox. I went and bough a camera connection kit (30pin to usb adapter) and a usb 3.0 power hub. When connecting the hub into the ipad I get a message 'USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power'. This is happening before I connect the soundcard into the usb hub which leads me to think the usb hub is not working might not be compatible with the camera connection kit?

The other issue that comes to mind is newer versions of the ipad run usb-c to apple lighting/usb 3 connector which means the ipad gets power from connection the charger into the usb 3 socket. Could this be the issue as my ipad is not getting power from anywhere?

Many thanks

Comments

• edited March 2019

I don’t know anything about the Alesis off hand, but my audiofuse runs off of power from type c hub from iPad without any external power, I’ve never seen that message about not enough power. I usually have my interface plugged in to its own power supply though, but yeah, works with or without, just cuts power to preamps and such while on ghost power.
    Even with an audiofuse and multiple midi controllers powered by only the iPads battery, I have not had an issue.
    One thing I can think of that could certainly be a problem is your hub, what kind is it? My hubs have type c power inputs, is yours usb a powered? Like I said, mine works with or without external power, but when it is plugged in, it’s an 18w type c wall charger into hub. I did have an issue trying to daisy chain charge cables, turned out one of the c cables was trash, look into it.

• Hey Deadcircuitgod thanks for reaching out! I've stripped down the issue and started by plugging in the the usb hub into the ipad, straight off I get the message ''USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power', thats even before plugging the soundcard in so I'm pretty sure the there's something not working in between the hub and the ipad.

unfortunately I cant run type c power inputs as my laptop is macbook pro early 2013 so running usb a powered, DC 5v/3amps, seeing as the message states the hub requires too much power I wonder if maybe finding another usb hub might do the job?! If anyone has experience with ipads 3rd generation (30pin dock) and could recommend one that would be great.

Many thanks

• Hmm, sorry I can’t be of more help, this is actually my first iPad since the first gen mini lol. I’ve actually never had the 30 pin, first apple product was a 4s.
    Get an externally powered hub, I would certainly start there. I recommend a belkin, their stuff is all usually mfi certified, but like I said, no idea about the 30pin or if there are only certain hubs compatible, someone on here would
    know, maybe just ask what best hub setup for 30pin Ipad is.

• @pilodami if you don't ever have to use sysex, a 2nd hand Alesis ioDock is an affordable option ($50), keeps the iPad charged and has midi and 2 channel analog io.
    The ioDock ignores sysex by a design flaw, otherwise it's a nice unit coming with a 30pin connector.

• Are you certain this device is class compliant? I own a iO|2 (not the express version) and have never considered using it with an iOS device.

• edited March 2019

@piloadami said:
    Hi all,

I'm running quantiloop pro on my ipad 3rd generation (30pin connector). I want to connect my usb alesis io2 souncard to the ipad so that I can use the inputs on the soudcard to play and record loops on guitar/vox. I went and bough a camera connection kit (30pin to usb adapter) and a usb 3.0 power hub. When connecting the hub into the ipad I get a message 'USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power'. This is happening before I connect the soundcard into the usb hub which leads me to think the usb hub is not working might not be compatible with the camera connection kit?

The other issue that comes to mind is newer versions of the ipad run usb-c to apple lighting/usb 3 connector which means the ipad gets power from connection the charger into the usb 3 socket. Could this be the issue as my ipad is not getting power from anywhere?

Many thanks

The io2 works on the iPad if you use a powered USB hub and make sure the hub is powered itself. Using an Alesis io Dock 1 with 30pin connector is certainly the easier way to go. And it will charge the iPad 3 properly. The iPad 3 is the best model you can put into an io Dock 1.
    You could also use the USB3 CCK and a Lightning-to-30pin adapter but these are more expensive than a 2nd hand io Dock and you'd have no stand and lotsa cable fiddling.

• Hey Deadcircuit god, I do have an external powered hub, DC 5v from the wall socket, Ive been in touch with the manufactures they might be able to help out.

Telefunky the Alesis ioDock looks great. If I understand correctly the unit doesn't take usb input only midi in? I would like to have the ability to have a midi keyboard and/or a midi pads controller plugged in and being powered by the unit.
    Theres a guy who modified his alesis by adding a usb hub inside the iDock, looks pretty neat.

The other issue I encountered in the UK theres no many of these around and most online shop stopped selling it.

Onkey alesis website unit page says the unit is class compliant unless I'm not looking it properly

re2000 thanks for the lighting to 30pin adapter, for now might try and find a usb powered hub that works, that way I can have midi devices powered trough that as well.

• @piloadami thanks that’s good to know.

• The ioDock has regular Midi DIN sockets for input/output.
    My hint was to buy a unit 2nd hand, not in a shop. In Germany they sell for 50-80€ and show up rather frequently.