Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 Released

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:
    Did some testing and sad to say battery use has not improved for me (iPad Pro 9.7)
    As been mentioned before it depends on which screen and actions.
    But playing some Madrid for 7 min (no sequence running) used almost 10% battery! :'(

Here's my battery report after having Just updated this morning. Battery was at 90% ... I opened Gadget and made quick beat in Recife, a simple bassline in monopoly, then opened up 5-6 Memphis gadgets and recorded a few notes (just got ims20 so was checking out presets). I spent some time trying to build a patch in one Memphis instance. About 45 mins of gadget being open - battery dropped 7% to 83%.

2018 regular iPad iOS 12.3

Pretty sure battery life is better on my Air 2 than before. Previously it was dropping 1% per minute. Even though I’ve been working on more intensive projects since the update, it’s definitely not dropping as quickly now.

Strange, on my Air 2 (iOS 12.1.4) battery life is definitely more worse than before. Already did a restart of my iPad (long press home + power button), but it didn’t change anything. Maybe a reinstall og Gadget might help?

I switch my iPad off each night, so maybe a proper reboot might help.

I’ve only had a couple of plays, so maybe it was a fluke, but definitely seemed better, less heat too. I’ll report back after a few more sessions!

Ok, thanks!

Just had another 15 minute session, with loads of tracks going, and 4% battery drop, plus minimal heat. Considering this is a 4 year old device, it seems to still be up to the job.

I”m getting significantly lower battery usage and no heat buildup at all on my Air 2. I’ve been composing for more than 90 minutes solid with only 12% battery drain. The battery on this ol’ thing is pretty tired out after years of usage every single blessed day, so it ain’t because it’s a miracle battery or anything.

Somehow,m I think once again the some of newer Pros have something fundamentally messed up in screen / audio processing threading over these older models.

• @wim said:

@Proppa said:

I surprise myself often by getting some really good non-gameish sounding leads out of Kamata. The ability to draw your own waves makes for some powerful sound shaping. Those leads can really cut through a mix, and I doubt you would think Kamata when you first hear them.

Agree and can get Lost drawing those waveforms - huge fun.

• @richardyot said:
    @branis thanks for posting this, there's one thing that really puzzles me, how do patch in the external signal? As per your screenshot, I simply can't find any way to do this, could you describe the process step-by-step?

What do you do after this lol.
    I patched in from channel 2 but I'm not really sure what comes next, I have a monopoly in track 2

• edited March 2019

@reasOne said:

@richardyot said:
    @branis thanks for posting this, there's one thing that really puzzles me, how do patch in the external signal? As per your screenshot, I simply can't find any way to do this, could you describe the process step-by-step?

I patched in from channel 2 but I'm not really sure what comes next, I have a monopoly in track 2

You can take the signal processor trigger out and put it in the trigger in if you want sound triggered by the monopoly. The one you have the signal out to now

• @hokagespit said:

@reasOne said:

@richardyot said:

You can take the signal processor trigger out and put it in the trigger in if you want sound triggered by the monopoly. The one you have the signal out to now

Like this....?

• edited March 2019

@reasOne
    once you got it, play with the threshold and gain to get different sensitivity to the noise you are passing through just watch the lights. And remember to open the envelope if you start from init. You can do the phone or kbd cv out to kbd trigger in to hold open eternally if you are just passing through for filtering.

• Boffinery, but pretty to look at.

• @wim said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    I like the that iMS-20 lets you feed in audio from another gadget track, but anyone know how you can mute the source audio track - so you just hear what’s coming out of the iMS-20 track?

That would be really good to be able to do. Lots of possibilities for interesting sound design.

But right now it’s a bit annoying you have to hear the dry signal from the source audio too.

When I mute the source track in the mixer, I still hear it through Memphis? You don’t? Don’t forget to turn up the signal level in the external signal processor section like I always do. ;)

[edit] I just verified. I routed a Kamata track into Memphis, muted the Kamata track, pressed play, turned down the oscillator in Memphis, then played keys. Whenever I pressed a key in Memphis I heard the Kamata track.

Brilliant. Thanks - I’ll try this.

This is great news :)

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:
    Did some testing and sad to say battery use has not improved for me (iPad Pro 9.7)
    But playing some Madrid for 7 min (no sequence running) used almost 10% battery! :'(

Here's my battery report after having Just updated this morning. Battery was at 90% ... I opened Gadget and made quick beat in Recife, a simple bassline in monopoly, then opened up 5-6 Memphis gadgets and recorded a few notes (just got ims20 so was checking out presets). I spent some time trying to build a patch in one Memphis instance. About 45 mins of gadget being open - battery dropped 7% to 83%.

Pretty sure battery life is better on my Air 2 than before. Previously it was dropping 1% per minute. Even though I’ve been working on more intensive projects since the update, it’s definitely not dropping as quickly now.

Strange, on my Air 2 (iOS 12.1.4) battery life is definitely more worse than before. Already did a restart of my iPad (long press home + power button), but it didn’t change anything. Maybe a reinstall og Gadget might help?

I’ve only had a couple of plays, so maybe it was a fluke, but definitely seemed better, less heat too. I’ll report back after a few more sessions!

Ok, thanks!

Just had another 15 minute session, with loads of tracks going, and 4% battery drop, plus minimal heat. Considering this is a 4 year old device, it seems to still be up to the job.

I”m getting significantly lower battery usage and no heat buildup at all on my Air 2. I’ve been composing for more than 90 minutes solid with only 12% battery drain. The battery on this ol’ thing is pretty tired out after years of usage every single blessed day, so it ain’t because it’s a miracle battery or anything.

Somehow,m I think once again the some of newer Pros have something fundamentally messed up in screen / audio processing threading over these older models.

Yeah could be, definite improvement on this Air 2.

I hadn’t used Gadget for any length of time up until the new update, as it made the iPad uncomfortably hot. Too hot to have on my lap, and made me panic about it damaging the battery.

Absolutely loving getting back into it again. I’m even hooking up the audio output to my desktop DAW and playing the synths in live.

• edited March 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

Ok, thanks!

Yeah could be, definite improvement on this Air 2.

I hadn’t used Gadget for any length of time up until the new update, as it made the iPad uncomfortably hot. Too hot to have on my lap, and made me panic about it damaging the battery.

Absolutely loving getting back into it again. I’m even hooking up the audio output to my desktop DAW and playing the synths in live.

Playing nice on my iPad Pro 9.7 as well. Loving it that much decided to get the Korg NanoKey2 to go with it as like a BT keyboard and it's portability.

• R_2R_2
    edited March 2019

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

Ok, thanks!

12% battery drain after 90 min is something I can only dream of. Did you use a controller or played onscreen keys?
    I used to get similarly good behavior on my ipad 2 in the past. But on my Pro 9.7 and iPhone SE it’s been bad the last 2 years.

I get less battery drain when I stay in the main ‘scenes’ screen (with faders/meters hidden).
    Graphics/UI have a big influences on this.

• For those using the MIDI out Gadget to control hardware.

Are you using it direct to hardware or routed through say AUM to the hardware?

I am noticing less then enjoyable and consistent behaviors when going Gadget - AUM- Hardware.

Mostly the MIDI clock feedback and causing irregular actions of hardware sequencer or arpeggios .

• edited March 2019

Hmmm...
    (deleted the rant).

Native Mode for nanoKey Studio worked fine after I restarted Gadget and nanoKey Studio and reconnected them. Still would love to see manual entry for CC assignment as well as 'CC factory reset'.

• @Samu said:
    For example it's impossible to map the X & Y axises from the nanoKEY Studio separately!?
    The X & Y pad on the nanoKEY Studio sends Midi CC 16 & 17 but every time I try to map an axis in Gadget 2 it cancels out the other.

Yes, I had this problem before the update too.

Also the default mapping in Taipei somehow 'missed' the first knob (CC#20) and had some other controller set by default... (The default mappings on the nanoKEY Studio Knobs 1-8 send CC#20-27).

No biggie, hope to get the X&Y pad working soonish.

And well, is there any way to 'reset' the CC mappings to factory default for a specific Gadget without having to completely re-install & reset Gadget?

They should definitely add a ‘reset to default’ option.
    I’m just using the nanoKey Studio in native mode to keep things simple ;)

• @R_2 said:

They should definitely add a ‘reset to default’ option.
    I’m just using the nanoKey Studio in native mode to keep things simple ;)

Same here, for some strange reason Gadget 2 didn't use my nanoKey Studio in 'native mode' which made me wonder about the mappings. But after a restart of both Gadget 2 and nanoKEY Studio the native mode kicked into action and started working.

And yeah, there are some nice fixes to native mode too. The 'Joystick' in iWavestation Gadget now works as expected and the y-axis is no longer flipped :)

And btw. noticed that the quote editor here in the forums now seems to be fixed, so most things are back to normal :)

• @Samu said:
    And yeah, there are some nice fixes to native mode too. The 'Joystick' in iWavestation Gadget now works as expected and the y-axis is no longer flipped :)

They actually fixed that quite a while ago. Got my nanoKey Studio almost a year ago and that joystick was working as expected.

• @R_2 said:

@Samu said:

They actually fixed that quite a while ago. Got my nanoKey Studio almost a year ago and that joystick was working as expected.

Oki, I've mostly been using the 'screen' to play the Gadget's so I've not noticed that before :)

Still hoping we'll get some way to set the default velocity for newly played or drawn notes similar to the Madrid Gadget.
    (And well, Madrid as a Gadget is quite strange as the 'presets' seem to use different sample-sets that can not be selected when starting to create a patch from the 'Init' preset, like WTF seriously?!).

For a free update It's quite neat. Was almost expecting the two additional Gadgets to drop so I could part with some IAP cash, maybe in a couple of weeks or so.

• Excellent track I just came across on YouTube featuring the new Gadgets.

• @R_2 said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

Thanks for report. Were you playing keys onscreen or through a controller?
    Yeah, the inconsistency between models is confusing. Both my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone SE behave similarly.
    Do you have Lisbon or Madrid? Playing those with the onscreen keys (not with a controller) have a big impact on battery for me.

Just tried this -- I added a Madrid to a project I started this morning with 2 Recifes, 1 Memphis doing simple bass, 8 Montpelliers. I added a Madrid and jammed for about 5 mins over my groove playing the onscreen keyboard for a bit - then recorded a 4 bar loop letting it play while I tweaked presets - then I played the onscreen keyboard over top of the looped notes recorded ---
    So 5 mins give or take and my battery went down 1%.

Almost makes me want to trade my Pro 9.7 for a regular iPad 2018 ;)

I have an iPad 9.7 2017 and my battery is doing really well with Gadget. There’s a Battery thread started by Brambos and I learned a lot there to tweak my iPad and it made a huge difference! There’s so much happening in the background that we just don’t realize it’s eating Battery life while we play.

Secret is to make sure you lick in the changes in settings in order for new app installs not to override the optimizations. Siri is one of the main culprits! Sobdiaable anything Siri and it will be the single biggest cpu and battery relief you’ll see.

There’s many more but hopefully you find the thread.

Cheers!

• I still wish Korg would add a undo button so easy to delete sequenced notes.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I still wish Korg would add a undo button so easy to delete sequenced notes.

There is an undo button.

• Has anyone managed to get Tiapei to send midi out inside ApeMatrix yet to a external synth loaded in ApeMatrix?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

There is an undo button.

Cheers been a long while since I used it spotted now !

• @Jumpercollins said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

There is an undo button.

Cheers been a long while since I used it spotted now !

And a redo!

• @Tones4Christ said:

@R_2 said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

Thanks for report. Were you playing keys onscreen or through a controller?
    Yeah, the inconsistency between models is confusing. Both my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone SE behave similarly.
    Do you have Lisbon or Madrid? Playing those with the onscreen keys (not with a controller) have a big impact on battery for me.

Just tried this -- I added a Madrid to a project I started this morning with 2 Recifes, 1 Memphis doing simple bass, 8 Montpelliers. I added a Madrid and jammed for about 5 mins over my groove playing the onscreen keyboard for a bit - then recorded a 4 bar loop letting it play while I tweaked presets - then I played the onscreen keyboard over top of the looped notes recorded ---
    So 5 mins give or take and my battery went down 1%.

Almost makes me want to trade my Pro 9.7 for a regular iPad 2018 ;)

I have an iPad 9.7 2017 and my battery is doing really well with Gadget. There’s a Battery thread started by Brambos and I learned a lot there to tweak my iPad and it made a huge difference! There’s so much happening in the background that we just don’t realize it’s eating Battery life while we play.

Secret is to make sure you lick in the changes in settings in order for new app installs not to override the optimizations. Siri is one of the main culprits! Sobdiaable anything Siri and it will be the single biggest cpu and battery relief you’ll see.

There’s many more but hopefully you find the thread.

Cheers!

Thanks, I’ve seen that thread and had already done the things mentioned there. Turned off everything Siri on my iPad/iPhone the day I got them.
    This drain I’m seeing is specific to Gadget, no other app (audio or not) does this for me. I believe it’s not caused by another background process.

• @R_2 said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@h_vel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Halftone said:

@R_2 said:

Ok, thanks!

12% battery drain after 90 min is something I can only dream of. Did you use a controller or played onscreen keys?
    I used to get similarly good behavior on my ipad 2 in the past. But on my Pro 9.7 and iPhone SE it’s been bad the last 2 years.

I get less battery drain when I stay in the main ‘scenes’ screen (with faders/meters hidden).
    Graphics/UI have a big influences on this.

I was 100% on-screen, tweaking synths, poking in notes, and editing them. Maybe it was the particular gadgets I was using. I think some are more optimized than others. I was in Memphis a lot. Screen brightness was set pretty low. Gadget was loaded in AudioBus, headphones only connected, no interface or devices.

I dunno what the difference could be. At any rate, I can definitely say the Air 2 was running cool as a cucumber. There was noticeable warmness using Gadget before the update.

• I’ve seen this mentioned for other devices and can add that also on the 10,5” iPad Pro the saturater currently does not work 😩

• I just found out you can’t use tempo per scene if Link is enabled. @davis_korgrd Is it a Link limitation or Gadget doesn’t have it implemented?

• Now that I've had some time to play a bit more with Gadget 2, I have to say I quite like it.

Sure the beat-lines in the piano roll editor are hard to see - unless you are in a normal to dark lit room, in which case they are OK - I guess the KORG developers don't see much daylight ;-) Hopefully we will get a higher contrast version - I like the darker background, just not the darker lines.

As Doug mentioned in his video, I'm surprised they didn't mention the new drummer-widget at all, it's actually a pretty neat way to get some quick beats flowing.

Since I had purchased both iPolysix and iMS-20 a long time ago (pre-gadget), Memphis and Pompei was free for me, which is nice. And great have them in the Gadget arsenal now.

Taipei looks like a real game changer, as I can now use ALL the other synths I have accumulated over time, inside gadget. While not as smooth as having Gadget support IAA og AU synths (which I guess will never happen) - this is the next best thing. It would be cool if you could record BACK into Gadget directly, but I've been experimenting with AUM, and if you have LINK enabled, it's really easy to trim the finished recordings in AudioShare if you turn on "Snap to Beat" - then you can "Import from AudioShare" in Zurich and have everything inside your gadget project file.

I also like the coloured tracks - it's easier to distinguish the different gadgets and ads a little bit of "playfullness" to the arrange screen. Fade in/out is also useful and FINALLY we can rename our tracks :smiley:

I hope we get a bug fix release soon for the missing Saturator effect in some devices, and hopefully the higher contrast piano roll editor.

So while I'm still missing a lot of stuff - like a BARS/BEATS/TIME display, audio-IN from AB or other apps, save prompt if you try to load another project when you have unsaved changes, etc. etc. I'm quite happy with this update, especially considering it cost absolutely 0$

• @branis said:
    I just found out you can’t use tempo per scene if Link is enabled. @davis_korgrd Is it a Link limitation or Gadget doesn’t have it implemented?

Patterning and NS2 can do it, so I kinda doubt it’s an SDK limitation. Probably just an oversight? I’d definitely like to see that changed.

While they’re at it, I would like to see the metronome count-in active when Link is enabled. This has always been a bit frustrating. Xequence does it, so I’m pretty sure it’s possible. @davis_korgrd, if you’re still active here, you’ve probably seen that there have been multiple people that think count-in doesn’t work at all due to this. Implementing that might reduce support requests.