Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

total beginning Gadget user with questions

edited March 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

After a successful 1st project with Garageband, https://youtu.be/nMUoc3R0hhg I've been messing a little with Korg Gadget. The interface is so different- takes some getting used to.

Recommendation for tutorials would be appreciated.

I've recorded a little audio with Zurich. There's one bar I would like to change. Is there anything comparable to punch in-out in Gadget?

Comments

• Audio recording in Gadget is so bare-bones that you're better off recording and editing audio in another DAW or TwistedWave and then import the file into Gadget.

Or record each bar separately in AudioShare and import each on bilbao pads etc.

• The in app manuals are pretty decent- and include a beginners guide- press the question mark top right. You have to be patient though- they take a little while to load.

• Could I export the audio track I recorded in gadget, edit it and import it back into gadget?

• Yes, you can do that, though I'm not sure it's worth the effort. As mentioned, audio tracks/editing isn't really Gadget's forte.

It's a little dated, but here's a Gadget tutorial for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4f0TOkAPk

Here's his website https://sparky76.wixsite.com/website/tutorials

There's a downloadable PDF there, too.

• By the by, very nice GarageBand piece. If Vince Gurauldi had been the 5th Beatle :)

• @eustressor said:
    By the by, very nice GarageBand piece. If Vince Gurauldi had been the 5th Beatle :)

Thank you re: Norwegian Wood. I plan to record other Beatles tunes as well.

Gadget is really more of a curiosity to me than anything else. Seems that between the two, Garageband is much more flexible and pertinent to the kind of music I record. Any thoughts about when Gadget would be preferable to Garageband?

• edited March 2019

@LeesKeys said:

@eustressor said:
    By the by, very nice GarageBand piece. If Vince Gurauldi had been the 5th Beatle :)

Gadget is really more of a curiosity to me than anything else. Seems that between the two, Garageband is much more flexible and pertinent to the kind of music I record. Any thoughts about when Gadget would be preferable to Garageband?

On paper, one could ask why to use Gadget at all. Garageband ticks a lot of check boxes and with AUv3 support, it seems a lot less limited than Gadget. But for some strange reason, I'm much more productive in Gadget than in Garageband. Can't even exactly explain why. Different UI? Different workflow? More logical app design?
    To me, Garageband feels like an app designed by a graphics designer and Gadget feels like an app designed by musicians.

• edited March 2019

Gadget just added automatic beat creation to its drum machines, which is a step closer to Garageband's virtual drummer feature. There are 5 sliders to control the behavior of fills, when the drum machine decides to add extra hits, etc.

Neither app seemed great for generating a swinging rock/country beat like in "With a little help from my friends" by The Beatles, "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode, "Queen Killer" by Queen, etc. though I haven't checked Garageband's virtual drummers in the last few months. Gadget just has one setting to get you in the ballpark - HipHop5.

Gadget has some gadgets that focus on realistic acoustic sounds - there's a bass one and a drum one, plus the acoustic piano one from Module. But no guitar interface like Garageband.

For adding physical guitar and stuff, I plan to export my Gadget project to Ableton and record my guitar tracks there.

• @LeesKeys said:

@eustressor said:

I like both apps for different things. For synth-dominant tracks, Gadget, especially with some IAP's, provides a lot of sound capability, tweakability and automation. I prefer Gadget's piano roll. The "Scene" paradigm is a different way of working that I find an enjoyable alternative at times. The look and feel of the UI is engaging. It's a powerful sketchpad type of compositional tool. Gadget's also comparatively limited in some ways (16-bar scenes, no straightforward audio tracks, no good performance touch surfaces built in like in GarageBand, no AUv3...)

For a more traditional workflow, GarageBand covers a lot of ground and for free. To me Gadget is well-named---a kind of ingenious and novel contraption. It inspires creativity, is fun to play with and sounds good. I believe there's a free version to try out.

• I find in my personal use...gadget is an excellent fast idea loop maker, an automation experiment waiting to happen, and then a decent export to stems to something else and make real music or finish music machine. Gadget is fun and when approached as a groovebox and not a daw...it serves its purpose well. Audio tracks in gadget are merely an inconvenient convenience in my opinion. You can make some excellent stuff in gadget, but goin into it prepared is a better ordeal in the export stage. Like be prepared to copy drum gadgets and solo each drum track so the stems will be on Indy tracks. I always export the midi as well...so that better instruments can be flown into the projects later in Logic or reason10. The new thing I’m trying to get my workflow seasoned to, is starting projects in gadget and exporting stems to akai force...this seems like where I will end up having a blast ...also rename your projects and tracks with key and scale and tempo in mind to make it fast to rebuild.

• Another thing you might find useful with Gadget is that it responds to external multi-channel MIDI, so you can use the gadgets as sound modules with a better sequencer like Xequence. Due to the nature of Scenes, though, MIDI file import in Gadget is virtually useless. MIDI file export works fine.

• We do live in the best of digital DAW times!

• edited March 2019

Ive had gadget for ages but never got on with it. However, I’ve also had iMS20 for a long time and it’s now available on my iPhone and I can have multiple instances so I’ve given it another chance.

Gadget had got more use this weekend in little tiny 10 minute chunks with my phone than in the previous years I’ve had it!

I much prefer garagebands way of working and as it can host auv3s it’s pretty versatile.

But it’s easy to use them both together. I plan to use gadget much more now that it has iMs20 and iPolysix and will make loops in gadget and export the tracks as individual stems to import into GarageBand to add more kitchen sink to the mix.

I’m learning at my ripe old age to just use the app to its strengths and make up the difference in other apps and mainly in Logic.

It’s all good. :-)

• If I had to choose one or the other as my only music-making app, I’d go with GarageBand. On desktop, Gadget is light years away from replacing Logic. Fortunately, being able to move stuff around, many quirky apps are useful.