Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Variable midi clock / tempo change for live use

What apps can play back a prerecorded variable midi clock that i can then sync everything to, and is practical for live use?

i.e. i have songs that i need to add some looseness too... as well as some songs that have some gypsy style tempo increases.

...preferably with a song list, or controlled by program midi changes so can be used in a live set, when songs change?

Comments

• edited February 2019

Free solution: Download LP-5, tap the three dots for settings, tap MIDI, enable Clock Output under Output Connections. Send it MIDI Program Change number 2 messages for Tap Tempo whenever you want to change playback speed. This way you can enter the varying speed intuitively by e.g. hitting a preset button on your MIDI keyboard.

Another option is Auria: Create a tempo track and send MIDI Clock.

Third option: Nanostudio 2 tempo track, enable Ableton Link, translate Link to MIDI using "Link to MIDI" or "MIDI Link sync" apps. MIDI Link sync allows for tempo nudging too.

• Patterning 2 is another option for the tap tempo way.

• thx for the replies.. yep
    nano-studio and auria could be options for a prerecorded variable midi clock. but both overkill if that’s the only feature i require.

looking at camalot pro.. if that had a variable clock track it would be a perfect solution as the app appears to be designed for organising midi of live sets.

• I map 4 common tempos to 4 buttons (75, 90, 120, & 150) on my LPD8, as well as four buttons for tempo adjustment (-10, -1, & +1, +10).

But really I’m all about relative time jumps from using clyphx in ableton.
    It’s very musical to drop the tempo by 12.5% or to increase the tempo by 33%. These are very musical ratios but without doing the math on the spot, relative time jumps are not easy to pull of in the moment.

I recently browsed the midi tempo apps and there’re a couple interesting dedicated apps for setting tempo changes over time. I can’t remember any names but I’m fairly sure I searched ‘midi tempo’ in the IOS App Store.

• @Dr_M said:
    It’s very musical to drop the tempo by 12.5% or to increase the tempo by 33%. These are very musical ratios but without doing the math on the spot,

interesting..

I recently browsed the midi tempo apps and there’re a couple interesting dedicated apps for setting tempo changes over time. I can’t remember any names but I’m fairly sure I searched ‘midi tempo’ in the IOS App

really need that prerecorded variable midi clock with quick loading of songs:

Camelot pro and ShowOne would either be perfect if they had a variable click/click track feature. Doing an ios search and looking at 1/2 doz. metronomes several have practice features mostly only getting faster. 'Metronom' could get faster or slower.

====================

A programmable midi clock with conditionals or a pre - programed variable click track that's rock solid not in a DAW appears to not be available.

• edited February 2019

@jollyDodger said:
    What apps can play back a prerecorded variable midi clock that i can then sync everything to, and is practical for live use?

i.e. i have songs that i need to add some looseness too... as well as some songs that have some gypsy style tempo increases.

...preferably with a song list, or controlled by program midi changes so can be used in a live set, when songs change?

Modstep has most of the things here. change bpm with scene freely, preprogrammed. Send midi clock. No tempo ramping though maybe you can just make short scenes. And no song list but song load is quick and it can send program changes

• modstep can’t automate tempo in a song..? (i have only read the manual- not used it)

• /discussion/27642/daw-sequencer-apps-with-tempo-bpm-automation

the above thread discusses the same request. and additionally suggests sunvox caustic mts studio..

patterning2 has a nice increase/decrease over time but.. no variation/humanisation of tempo that one could get from a prerecorded tempo track.

• A song is made up of scenes....each scene can have its own tempo

• Patterning 2 is the only app I knowthathas a tempo slew that is Ableton Linked and MIDI sendable.

Does anyone know of any other app with such a feature?

• I’m bizarrely now using DJ pro (allgoriddim) - with a little djgo2 controller/dac as my variable tempo solution. (My sequencer is hardware/midi). It’s fun.

• @Calverhall & @jollyDodger
    Yes, there's "Beat Detect" from Mixvibes.
    Although the actual beat detection algorithm is quite unreliable, it can be used to "nudge" the tempo of an Ableton LINK session on-the-fly, plus it has a tap tempo function.

There's also "MIDI LINK Sync" with a nudge and a tap tempo function.