Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Def. looking forward to a video....

• Sweeeet. Purchased 👊🏼™️

• @echoopera said:
    Sweeeet. Purchased 👊🏼™️

ditto

• Oh, this is a really nice sequencer. Nice work! 👊👍

• I’m hoping it has Link and I just can’t find it...?

• @gusgranite said:
    I’m hoping it has Link and I just can’t find it...?

Even better: MIDI clock in and out!! At least they say so in the description.

• @rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

But no Link? So how does that work with AUM? I can’t get apps synced up at the moment.

• @gusgranite said:

@rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

But no Link? So how does that work with AUM? I can’t get apps synced up at the moment.

Sorry, I'm only working with apeMatrix.

• Link is mandatory for such an app.

• @cuscolima said:
    Link is mandatory for such an app.

Agreed. I’m a bit lost without it.

@mekohler any chance an update with Link is in the works? Thanks

• Hm, I think I'll have to dive into the beta more before purchasing. I never took the time to explore it.

• Endlessly Stupid Questions Dept. (#74586): Is this wildly different to the average bear than, say, Fugue Machine?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Endlessly Stupid Questions Dept. (#74586): Is this wildly different to the average bear than, say, Fugue Machine?

It’s different. The mutating patterns are, for me, the chief difference. Admittedly, I don’t know this app all that well yet - I’m sure others will chime in.

• Quite different actually. The generative aspect is def the biggest difference but the ability to set chords under the sequences is another big one.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Quite different actually. The generative aspect is def the biggest difference but the ability to set chords under the sequences is another big one.

@ALB Thanks both. Have a long flight coming up and looking to do some learning, might be worth adding to the list...

• Here is a small thing produced today. The piano has been completely generated with Polyphase (the other songs have been recorded in Photon, another amazing new app). Glorious day!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Quite different actually. The generative aspect is def the biggest difference but the ability to set chords under the sequences is another big one.

@ALB Thanks both. Have a long flight coming up and looking to do some learning, might be worth adding to the list...

Fugue Machine is much better for precise editing and performance, PolyPhase can be a bit fiddly if you’re trying to set things to specifics values. That’s because PolyPhase’s raison d’etre is to generate new and evolving phrases. And that it does superbly. This isn’t just random notes, there’s musicality in how it evolves.

Actually, they work superbly together:
    Granted I’m only using the generative aspects at the end, when things are breaking down, but it’s still wonderful to use.

• @aplourde said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Fugue Machine is much better for precise editing and performance, PolyPhase can be a bit fiddly if you’re trying to set things to specifics values. That’s because PolyPhase’s raison d’etre is to generate new and evolving phrases. And that it does superbly. This isn’t just random notes, there’s musicality in how it evolves.

Actually, they work superbly together:
    Granted I’m only using the generative aspects at the end, when things are breaking down, but it’s still wonderful to use.

Subbed! Keep up the great content!!!

• edited February 2019

Love this little app. Here’s a quick one letting it do it’s thing with Korg ElectribeWave for 5 plus minutes:

And

• edited February 2019

I KNOW I’m just being daft, but does PolyPhase work in the background? I get the thing going, switch to ApeMatrix and then...hung notes.

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Ok, Poly Phase is playing in background, but not randomizing.

• edited February 2019

So now all of these new bits have been added, it really needs a manual - or proper in depth video.

• Yes, nice review! But in all sincerity Polyphase produces much more engaging output than Eno in ambient mode (which is fair enough in both directions, as it's not an ambient-oriented app and Eno's ambient music isn't supposed to be engaging.).

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this thread, PolyPhase is a really brilliant app, easily among the best of the past twelve months ("best of the year" isn't enough in February, even though there have been a bunch of great apps already in 2019). I can only speculate that it's because everyone on here has already been beta testing it for months. Even so, there must be plenty of feature requests to make.

Here's one: make it easy to write manually enter a non-random sequencein the Master track and (ok it's two) save the initial Master sequence.

• That's a good suggestion! I have several requests but will send them directly to the dev. I could be wrong but this feels like the year AUv3 MIDI tools reach maturity. Not knocking this app's approach for a V1, especially given the sophistication of the experience and results--but I wonder if the buzz is focused on the AUv3 stuff that is proliferating.

• I would REALLY like to import/drop a midi file into the master track - then we can interact with out own melodies.

Oh and a manual/video - there are all of these little switches everywhere that requires one to be a clairvoyant....

• I'm curious how you would compare it to other generative type sequencers like what Bram Bos has done and Autony?

• edited February 2019

Brams apps are different for sure, especially since his auto generation is dependent on the mode. That’s to say particles gives different results than collider etc. Of Abrams apps I generally find collider more phrase worthy, particles more textural, and baseline well... funky.

Autony is also very phrase worthy, as in musical phrase not praise (though it’s that too). To contrast, let’s look at at something like Riffer. Riffer is best at “riffs” of varying lengths and has very comprehensive controls for key and step changes as well as being able to directly draw a result. Antony has less direct controls but just as many musical tools like changing modes and keys. Despite only being able to generate its results timed to only 1/4 or 1/2 notes etc... in its final results Autony tends to be smoother in its algorithm in generating a musical phrase that is more melodic, with fewer jumps, than Riffer.

Polyphase has 4, not just one, lane of generative voices arranged in a typical lead and 3 backing parts. It to has many controls for varying the note duration and key probability of triggering yadd-yadda, BUT the main difference being that ALL four lanes are linked and “interdependent” in what they generate. The results are very smooth and musical and each lane can be routed to a separate voice via midi. I would say it’s an auto generative fugue-ish machine. The end results are very relaxing in its default settings. I’m currently trying to coax something more “aggressive” out of it.

My 2¢

• Let us know how that goes, @audiblevideo. I tried for a good bit of time yesterday to get anything other than soothing ambientish out of poly phase and didn't get far. By switching to triplets I was able to get more of a groove going but it was still very smooth and gentle. Not a bad thing! Just a one dimensional thing.