Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthJacker

SynthJacker by Conifer Productions Oy

for those into soundfonts...

Comments

• edited January 2019

Just a pity for now only external audio input and only external midi out - no virtual midi and audiobus support ..

I wrote question to developer at twitter about possible virtual midi (and ideally also audiobus) compatibility but no answer till yet - i hope for this features, that would be very awesome.

• Hi, developer here -- not SoundFont but SFZ for now. EXS and SoundFont support is possible though.

@dendy didn't catch your tweet, but you can use a MIDI-over-WiFi session, if that helps. I've sampled from a MacBook using iRig HD.

Looking into IAA and Audiobus support -- no timeline yet, but stay tuned.

• edited January 2019

@coniferprod

Welcome, good to have you here :) I'm more into sampling other apps within same device, that's why i was asking for virtual midi support in first place ... MIDI-over-WIFI in this case doesn't help.

Audiobus would be, in combination with virtual midi support, awesome. Regarding IAA - in my opinion not needed, audiobus covers pretty much everything cause you can load IAA and AUv3 with Audiobus :-)

But as a start, virtual midi support would be enough, you can still sample audio in other app like AudioShare and then cut it manually :)

Looking forward for next versions, this app/tool looks very promising :)

• Thanks! :-) Folks have been very interested in auto-sampling iOS synths, so it seems like a good idea to do Audiobus and/or IAA next.

Any ideas on the output formats? Right now it's plain AIFF files with SFZ region information, but I guess SoundFont and EXS would be doable if there is demand.

• Definitely EXS, for Lyra (the sampler instrument in Auria).

@dendy can NS2 Obsidian load any of these formats?

• edited January 2019

EXS too for audiolayer.
    Also is possible to sample every velocity instead of sampling every 10?
    anyway thanks this app is super useful!!

• edited January 2019

@richardyot said:
    Definitely EXS, for Lyra (the sampler instrument in Auria).

@dendy can NS2 Obsidian load any of these formats?

no, there is just simple "autoload" which creates zones and sets proper root notes based on file name ("sound c1.wav, sound c2.wav,.. etc")

Obsidian sampler is a bit limited compared to full stack samplers - it's still "just" sample oscillator - you can have 3 oscillators which means max 3 velocity layers and every oscillator can handle max. 24 zones...

For more complex sampled instruments with 24+ zones and 3+ layers is better to use AudioLayer (which amongs other things streams audio files from disk, where Obsidian loads all samples to memory, so it is not ideal for large multisampled instruments)

• Oh yes please!!!

And AudioBus support!

This would open new worlds!

• Hi, I’m interested in this app to sample my Microkorg - sorry for the (probably) stupid question, but what do you play back the samples in, if you wanted to use it in a live setup that uses AUM and AB?

• I'm looking into it... but probably AUv3 hosting will come first.

• Based on my experience, AudioLayer by VirSyn would be my go-to sampler. I've tested the sample name based auto-mapping with it. But anything that can import AIFF files or read SFZ descriptions should work.

• Are you saying you would host AUs in SynthJacker?

I would actually suggest IAA/Audiobus first. Why? This way you can create sounds that are stacks of multiple instruments and/or include effects processing in a host like AUM or Audiobus and then pipe that into SynthJacker for sampling. To do that in SynthJacker by hosting AUs you would need to build out a full mixer as well.

No, you typically don't want to sample effects (especially time-based as they would speed up / slow down as you transpose), but for distortion, etc. it can be an integral part of the sound. Also, if you sample every note, time based effects could be useful.

Furthermore, only having AU hosting precludes IAA-only apps, which, frankly, are the ones a lot of people probably want to get samples of.

• edited February 2019

Yes personally I think Audiobus would be the best option. Audiobus can host AU apps anyway, so I imagine it would be the simplest way forward.

• I was trying to use this with my Scarlett 18i20 but I wasn't able to select a specific preamp input. Have other folks had luck with multiple channel interface?

• @nondes said:
    I was trying to use this with my Scarlett 18i20 but I wasn't able to select a specific preamp input. Have other folks had luck with multiple channel interface?

Dev here again. Only the first input for now, sorry. I haven't figured out how select a specific channel of the audio interface for recording. Looks like it requires some low-level pokery, or it's too obvious for me to grasp. Either way, it's on the laundry list. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Got it, I'll workaround it for now. :)

• edited March 2019

SynthJacker gets the AU update treatment. You can now auto sample your AU synths.

PS. It’s a AU host not a instrument!

• Moog Model D, ready for some sampling.

• Bought!

Thanks @coniferprod for the AU support

• Yes indeed, v0.3.2 with AUv3 support is indeed now in the App Store. Have a great weekend everyone!

• @nondes said:
    Moog Model D, ready for some sampling.

Yay! Model D behaved quite nicely during development.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Bought!

Thanks @coniferprod for the AU support

We aim to please :) Thank you for your support!

• edited March 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    SynthJacker gets the AU update treatment. You can now auto sample your AU synths.

PS. It’s a AU host not a instrument!

Sunrizer worked fine too, but I had to make a special scroll view for it; many AUs have views that are not so tall, mostly because they trust the host to have the virtual keyboard.

• @coniferprod Hope you can update us with a video of this new AU host feature in action?

• agreed,i am also looking to multilayer synth in audiobus and aum and build a cool synthjacker synth that way. > @aplourde said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/611095#Comment_611095
    Are you saying you would host AUs in SynthJacker?
    I would actually suggest IAA/Audiobus first. Why? This way you can create sounds that are stacks of multiple instruments and/or include effects processing in a host like AUM or Audiobus and then pipe that into SynthJacker for sampling. To do that in SynthJacker by hosting AUs you would need to build out a full mixer as well.
    No, you typically don't want to sample effects (especially time-based as they would speed up / slow down as you transpose), but for distortion, etc. it can be an integral part of the sound. Also, if you sample every note, time based effects could be useful.
    Furthermore, only having AU hosting precludes IAA-only apps, which, frankly, are the ones a lot of people probably want to get samples of.

• He promised, I supported, he delivered! Thanks man!!!! So many cool patches of CPU hungry Model 15 💪🏼
    One day you may come up with IAA also so i can revive my beloved Thor from the dead 👍🏼 Haha! Thanks man!!! @coniferprod

• edited March 2019

AudioLayer + Synthjacker = Sample Heaven.

Almost, AudioLayer needs SFZ support, but note detection should be a win.

• I had a breakthrough with this App today by using my PreSonus AudioBus interface and making loop-backs of the MIDI and Audio ports using a MIDI cable between IN-OUT ports and audio cables between the OUT's and the IN's to make a SampleSet of my a favorite app and imported it successfully into AudioLayer with 4 layers.

This feature of the app seems rock solid at this point.

The AU Hosting feature has some issues that made me want to try a hardware-based option.
    I'm expecting the Hosting issues to get addressed overtime. But using the hardware approach means I can makes sample sets of any App the will load up in AB3 or AUM (like Animoog) to help populate my AudioLayer suite of choices.