Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How many audio inputs/outputs at the same time with iOS

edited February 2019 in Other

How many audio inputs/outputs at the same time are you able to monitor/record at the same time? And with which latency? It can be with a DAW, Audiobus, AUM...

I plan to buy a Behringer 1820 and I need two mic inputs and ten outputs at the same time, with multiple Loopy outputs routed to physical outputs in AB, at 128 buffers latency. Is it possible with a project not too heavy on CPU or is it crackle city and needs higher latency?

Comments

• edited February 2019

Are these 10 outputs mono or stereo channels ?
    If your sources use IAA as their communication path, then this seems to add up significantly regarding CPU load.
    I once setup a project with several Multitrack DAW tracks sent to an external DAW and back into IOS - the CPU load in AUM was significant iirc, increasing with every IAA connection I added.
    But you can check/verify this (partially) without a real interface by adding a bunch of fake virtual channels.

• edited February 2019

@Telefunky said:
    Are these 10 outputs mono or stereo channels ?
    If your sources use IAA as their communication path, then this seems to add up significantly regarding CPU load.
    I once setup a project with several Multitrack DAW tracks sent to an external DAW and back into IOS - the CPU load in AUM was significant iirc, increasing with every IAA connection I added.
    But you can check/verify this (partially) without a real interface by adding a bunch of fake virtual channels.

My setup uses Audiobus with one channel for audio mic input and various AU effects which is routed to Loopy input, then 4 Loopy slots outputs are routed to Audiobus for individual AU effects processing. So there are 5 stereo channels in Audiobus, everything is perfectly crackle free at 128 buffers latency on my iPhone 7 Plus. I need those 5 channels to have a separate stereo output for individual mixing on stage (premix inside AB is only for my iems monitoring), so this is 10 (5X2) outputs. I suppose it’s a better answer than 10 mono outputs :blush:

• Output is less critical than input, so if you're system works now it should do fine with an interface.

Not shure if you can adress the monitor outputs individually, otherwise the 1820 sends only 4 line pairs out

• edited February 2019

The mic Audiobus input is monitored in Loopy which is routed to main Audiobus 1/2 stereo out, and each of 4 Loopy slots have individual Audiobus lanes which could be sent individually to 1820 3/10 outputs. Do you have this interface? Is it able to do that?

• please watch the linked video.

my umc 1820 does it i think.

https://c.web.de/@400675155845583991/_tEkrcy1Tdy3mIaPZ9NFDg

• @owi said:
    please watch the linked video.

my umc 1820 does it i think.

Many thanks for your video, as I suppose this is with individual loops routed to 1820 stereo outputs. Cool :smile:

What I need now is Audiobus @Michael mixer audio busses, to create a monitor sub group (on 1/2 outputs, in fact I will only have 4 separate stereo outputs on 3/10), as if I send loops to 1820 individual outputs I suppose headphone output will not monitor them. I don’t want to use AUM in that setup, too much app routing/potential crackle/latency and not as fast AB preset changing via midi learn.

• owiowi
    edited February 2019

for input i used inputs 1, 2, 3+4 and for output 1, 2, 3, 4. that because i wanted to hear via the headphone outputs 1+2 or 3+4 what was going on. the umc 1820 can output all audiobus lanes that you will set to different outputs. it is not limited to stereo 1+2 out.

• @owi said:
    for input i used inputs 1, 2, 3+4 and for output 1, 2, 3, 4. that because i wanted to hear via the headphone outputs 1+2 or 3+4 what was going on. the umc 1820 can output all audiobus lanes that you will set to different outputs. it is not limited to stereo 1+2 out.

• @owi said:

• @owi said:

• @owi said:

• @owi said:

• @owi said:

• edited February 2019

@owi said:
    for input I used inputs 1, 2, 3+4 and for output 1, 2, 3, 4. that because i wanted to hear via the headphone outputs 1+2 or 3+4 what was going on. the umc 1820 can output all audiobus lanes that you will set to different outputs. it is not limited to stereo 1+2 out.

I think I will need this submix for monitoring, let me explain why:

• In this example I use only one mic with various AU FXS routed to Loopy input. 1820 hardware direct monitoring will be disabled, I’ll use software processed monitoring instead.
    • Loopy has 4 loops slots which will be used, each one of them is routed to an individual AB lane with some AU FXS in the chain triggered by midi if need. Drum lane 1 will go to 1820 output 3, bass lane 2 to output 4, chords/leads lane 3 to output 5/6, mic loops lane 4 to output 7/8, and mic software monitoring to output 9/10. Is it possible to use 1820 outputs mono or stereo independently in AB?
    • Now I need to monitor all of this in headphones/outputs 1/2. Only outputs 3/10 will go to the stage mixer. Outputs 1/2 will be routed via 1820 switch to headphones 1 IEMS. So I need to do a subgroup with AB mic monitoring, 4 loopy lanes. I can use AUM for that, or apeMatrix send receive inside AB (this AU introduces some latency) or I can wait for AB busses. I suppose it’s possible to use 1820 main 1/2 output for that purpose though software? Or is it unavailable when you use other jack outputs? Or perhaps the solution is to get also an XR12 or XR16 and do the 1820 routing/mixing and monitoring with it.

I bought an ica2+ and got an immediate refund because all stereo outputs were replicated, and iConfig didn’t worked on my laptop. Not such a bad thing as at the end I need at least 10 outputs. I hope 1820 is flexible enough concerning outputs software routing.

Also, in your test is it stable with 128 buffers latency? I’ve read 1820 is not the fastest regarding latency, at least on laptops.

Does ADA8200 ADAT extension adds latency on audio outputs? Anybody has tested this on iOS?

Perhaps I need more than 10 outputs lol

• IOS lets you multitrack 24 channels at once, playback is all tracks

• owiowi
    edited February 2019

in audiobus you can route loopy tracks 1+2 lets say to umc out 1+2 and then track 3+4 to umc out 5+6 and so on.
    but you never can route the combined loopy out to more than one output pair in the umc 1820.
    you can route several tracks to individual outputs but only alternatively and never twice or multiply.

• owiowi
    edited February 2019

@Janosax said:
    Also, in your test is it stable with 128 buffers latency? I’ve read 1820 is not the fastest regarding latency, at least on laptops.

yes, i never had to think about that. but i only use it with an ipad pro 12.9 (2017)

• Thanks for all those infos.

@owi are you happy with 1820 sound quality?

• @Janosax said:
    Thanks for all those infos.

@owi are you happy with 1820 sound quality?

for live music it is ok for me.

there are pictures regarding audio routing from loopy via aum/ab to individual outputs of the umc1820.

• edited February 2019

Thanks for the pics @owi this looks good!

• edited February 2019
    I'm using all 16 analog inputs of the UMC1820 + ADA8000 into AUM with insert and send fx on each channel all routed to a single stereo pair out to my camera to record all the videos on my YouTube channel. I have an iPad mini 4.

https://www.youtube.com/chisel316
  • edited February 2019
    I have:
    4 pair of stereo signals
    1 mono signal
    and that is not counting the iDAM set up with iOS into MacBook.

The above is hardware into AUM/AB with LOOPY at the end.