Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon AU is available

Photon AU by anthony saunders
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979?l=en&mt=8

Description:

Photon AU - Midi Recorder with Pad playback & Groove

Record your midi performances using this audio unit in your DAW then save/export them as standard midi files via email or directly to other apps.

Load midi files using Airdrop (uses the standalone version) & select your track to import in the AU version.

Up to four pads can be loaded with midi file data & played back with variations in transposition, loudness, tempo, parts defined as start/duration

You can also load a midi file as a Groove file to allow it to replace midi timing or velocity in your recorded/loaded midi file thereby conforming your buffer midi to the groove pattern (eg trancegate effects)

Most controls automated as AU Parameters (quick record, pad controls, pad playback etc)

Full 24 page Manual available here http://amssoftware.org/manual/PhotonManual.pdf

Iphone version coming soon.

Comments

• "Designed & Developed by Tony Saunders based on requests in the Audiobus forum users."

:D :) :)

• edited February 2019

@midiSequencer Currently having problems saving after recording in real time midi in AUM. Been following the manual. When I come to hit SAVE the button is greyed out? Can you help please. See screenshot.

• tjatja
    edited February 2019

@Jumpercollins Did you try to touch the header "Midi Files" first?

• edited February 2019

@tja said:
    @Jumpercollins Did you try to touch the header "Midi Files" first?

All sorted realised I had to hit the show/ hide button. Will be up and running proper once I watched a few videos. I think a few quick action buttons would make this app maybe better for first time casual users once you recorded a midi file you just want to hit a play button to hear it play back. ie PLAY, SEND to PAD buttons would make this instant usable. I’m finding the UI a bit confusing but it’s early days.

• Or the Hide buffer button

• As I said early days found out how the assign button works ie send to pads! I was pressing the load and expecting a pad number to appear ! Happy days😀

• @midiSequencer Many thanks for a fab midi AU app, managing to create some lovely evolving patterns now with just a few apps. Can see this app getting a lot of use. My only criticism now is the rotaries are jumping around a bit for precision control will you add a setting under app settings to give use the usual duel options ie Linear or Rotary.

• how can record a midi sequence on the fly then automatically start the playback (or start playback using using a remote control if it’s impossible otherwise).
    Didn’t find how to quickly playback my records.
    anyone can help ?

• @tja said:
    "Designed & Developed by Tony Saunders based on requests in the Audiobus forum users."

:D :) :)

Best place for us devs to get ideas! You guys know what you want!!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer Many thanks for a fab midi AU app, managing to create some lovely evolving patterns now with just a few apps. Can see this app getting a lot of use. My only criticism now is the rotaries are jumping around a bit for precision control will you add a setting under app settings to give use the usual duel options ie Linear or Rotary.

Those rotaries are based on Audiokit Ui but i agree they need improving. Im on it

• Reposting my questions fromone of the other threads (let’s stick with this one)

Two questions after playing around with it just a little bit:

1. I loaded some pattern into Pad1. I then closed AUM. When I returned later and opened previous session, there was nothing on the Pad. I would have expected this to be saved with the state, but it doesn’t seem to be the case?
      2.How do I do real time recording of a backbeat pattern, that when played back in a Pad stays in synch say with a Rozeta drum pattern also played in AUM. No matter what I do Photon seems always to start at the beat.. Somehow it should be possible to do a recording that is aligned with start of bar, but begins with a rest, without having to step record?
  • The rotating controls are horrible, indeed.
    Cannot remember any app doing it this way, with circular instead of linear movement required.

If you gonna change that, I would be happy, @midiSequencer
    :)

• And please also fix the fine control, the stock controls just does not work, never ever.
    Trying to set the Velocity exactly just does not work, as with so many Apps.

And this is so easy to fix, as we discussed in a topic earlier:

1) Two different speeds for horizontal and vertical movement
    2) Using a second finger to slow down the movement
    3) Make speed depending on the distance (like in Procreate)

• Is anyone else having a problem with syncing to the beat in AUM.

With the pad playback set to “Play Now’ it works and loops fine keeping to tempo. If you set it to start on Bar or Start on Beat then the timing goes out. It seems to be running slower than the clock so that when it gets to the end of the bar, it waits till the start of the next bar before starting the loop again. Maybe it’s me! Have tried lots of different things including re-install still nothing.

I am running 12.1.3 on a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9

• edited February 2019

@Jeezs said:
    how can record a midi sequence on the fly then automatically start the playback (or start playback using using a remote control if it’s impossible otherwise).
    anyone can help ?

At the moment there is no record to autoplay, you need to record, stop recording(length does this automatically), then assign to a pad(which has autoplay on load setting).
    I see the need to have this auto audition feature so will add that in the next update.

• @NoonienS said:
    Reposting my questions fromone of the other threads (let’s stick with this one)

1. I loaded some pattern into Pad1. I then closed AUM. When I returned later and opened previous session, there was nothing on the Pad. I would have expected this to be saved with the state, but it doesn’t seem to be the case?
      2.How do I do real time recording of a backbeat pattern, that when played back in a Pad stays in synch say with a Rozeta drum pattern also played in AUM. No matter what I do Photon seems always to start at the beat.. Somehow it should be possible to do a recording that is aligned with start of bar, but begins with a rest, without having to step record?

Im not aware state saving includes large data like wavs or midi files? If someone knows of an app that does this I will include. Otherwise saving 5 buffers which could contain up to a million midi events might be a challenge.

Each pad has a setting to start - inmediately, on the bar or beat. These relate to the host transport.

You’ve also given me an idea for the edit to allow you to shift the whole buffer. Trim just removes the silence at the start

• @ageezz said:
    Is anyone else having a problem with syncing to the beat in AUM.

With the pad playback set to “Play Now’ it works and loops fine keeping to tempo. If you set it to start on Bar or Start on Beat then the timing goes out. It seems to be running slower than the clock so that when it gets to the end of the bar, it waits till the start of the next bar before starting the loop again. Maybe it’s me! Have tried lots of different things including re-install still nothing.

I am running 12.1.3 on a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9

I am having this problem too. I’ve only tested in AB3 so far.

• I have a stupid question, @midiSequencer

How to play back at the speed I recorded in?

I just recorded some notes, assigned them from buffer to pad 1 and played it, it was much faster than what I played in.

I need to add that I did not read the manual yet, but was expecting the playback at the same speed, as with other MIDI recorders or DAWs.

• @tja said:
    The rotating controls are horrible, indeed.
    Cannot remember any app doing it this way, with circular instead of linear movement required.

You can toggle linear behavior on and off by tapping the app title. There’s no visual indication that anything has happened, but the behavior changes. It seems not to remember the choice though. I keep finding myself back in rotary mode.

• edited February 2019

@noodldoodl & @wim & @ageezz
    Looks like i might be resyncing every loop and its missing the bar/beat change.
    it should really just do this to start, so will look at this.

Its important to have nice integer beats too, so you may need to set the length of recorded buffers to get them to play well in loops

• @wim said:

@tja said:
    The rotating controls are horrible, indeed.

You can toggle linear behavior on and off by tapping the app title. There’s no visual indication that anything has happened, but the behavior changes. It seems not to remember the choice though. I keep finding myself back in rotary mode.

Ah, many thanks!

I also noted that some text that I expected to be just text, is indeed a button!
    Try to touch every text :)

Of course a visual indicator about what's a button and what's not, would be helpful.
    Most buttons have this already, but not all.

• @tja said:
    I have a stupid question, @midiSequencer

I just recorded some notes, assigned them from buffer to pad 1 and played it, it was much faster than what I played in.

I need to add that I did not read the manual yet, but was expecting the playback at the same speed, as with other MIDI recorders or DAWs.

playback speed should be the same. You can change speed with host bpm or tempo div settings.
    if thats not happening let me know your setup

• @midiSequencer said:
    @noodldoodl & @wim & @ageezz
    Looks like i might be resyncing every loop and its missing the bar/beat change.
    it should really just do this to start, so will look at this.

Its important to have nice integer beats too, so you may need to set the length of recorded buffers to get them to play well in loops

I’ve quantized, trimmed, set bar length, etc, and it doesn’t help. It happens with known length imported midi files too. It seems like sometimes it thinks the loop is just a little longer than it really is, so it has to wait for the next beat or bar to roll around before triggering again. Or maybe it’s the other way around - it’s misinterpreting the host beat / bar end. It doesn’t happen every loop. Sometimes it gets it right 3 or four times before going out of sync.

• @tja said:
    I have a stupid question, @midiSequencer

Sounds to me like you’ve nudged the Tempo Div. it should be at 1/1.

• @midiSequencer said:

@NoonienS said:

Im not aware state saving includes large data like wavs or midi files? If someone knows of an app that does this I will include. Otherwise saving 5 buffers which could contain up to a million midi events might be a challenge.

Each pad has a setting to start - inmediately, on the bar or beat. These relate to the host transport.

You’ve also given me an idea for the edit to allow you to shift the whole buffer. Trim just removes the silence at the start

Understand that you can’t save the whole Midi content as state, but couldn’t you save the content as a file automatically, and the state is just a reference to the file?

It even happened to me that the plugin frooze, and when Aum reloaded it, everything was lost. Having to manually keep saving to file is a workflow killer to me!

• hello
    Don’t work in GarageBand ?

• @midiSequencer said:

@NoonienS said:

Yes it is possible, Spacecraft AU does this with large wav files. Not sure how he managed it though. I would love to see this if possible as that's how I'd arrange parts in sequences together, rather than having to load up parts each time I load an AUM session etc.

• Thanks
    anyway current version is still excellent.
    Great job

@midiSequencer said:

@Jeezs said:
    how can record a midi sequence on the fly then automatically start the playback (or start playback using using a remote control if it’s impossible otherwise).
    anyone can help ?

At the moment there is no record to autoplay, you need to record, stop recording(length does this automatically), then assign to a pad(which has autoplay on load setting).
    I see the need to have this auto audition feature so will add that in the next update.

• @rafaelollero said:
    hello
    Don’t work in GarageBand ?

Garageband still doesn’t do MIDI AU. Apple needs to get cracking with their own standards...

• @Carnbot said:

@midiSequencer said:

@NoonienS said:

Yes it is possible, Spacecraft AU does this with large wav files. Not sure how he managed it though. I would love to see this if possible as that's how I'd arrange parts in sequences together, rather than having to load up parts each time I load an AUM session etc.

AudioLayer does this with large multi-sampled instruments as well. Beats me how tho... B)