Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Iloud Micro Monitor Speakers - Any experiences or recommendations?

I’m always interested to reduce my iPad related equipment to a minimum of size and weight.
Up to now I use just Headphones or the internal iPad speakers while recording music. When listening music I also use a Marshall Bluetooth Stanmore Speaker.

I just came across the Iloud Micro Monitors and they seem to be the perfect companion for the iPad.
Love the size and weight, and most reviews I’ve read and seen on YouTube praise this little speakers.

I’m curious!
Are the iloud Micro’s used by forum members? What are your experiences?

The only one I know who is using them is @jakoB_haQ .
Jacob are you still happy with them?

I’m sure these speakers must be very interesting for the mobile iPad musician...

Thanks a lot for your recommendations! 😊🙏

Comments

• I love them! They’re great for the size, however, as long as u recognize the limitations in volume, bass, etc you’re all good!

• @T4H said:
    I love them! They’re great for the size, however, as long as u recognize the limitations in volume, bass, etc you’re all good!

50 watts RMS isn’t loud enough?

• @CracklePot said:

@T4H said:
    I love them! They’re great for the size, however, as long as u recognize the limitations in volume, bass, etc you’re all good!

For less bass driven music maybe, but I work with a lot of a lot 808’s and deep sines so I hit the red clipping barrier earlier than most with flatter music. The speakers are great for what they are, and that’s a 3 inch monitor, just NOT great at what they aren’t, and that’s a 5 inch and beyond monitor. I’d say they are worth between $175-250 to me, the $299 asking price is bleeding into other monitors that lack the portability (which they really aren’t because they don’t have battery power). However, I caught mine on sale on amazon for like 220 and GC price matched so I’m happy overall, but I have a lot of reference monitors also, so this was more niche for me.

• Spend the extra 100 and get the 8010 genelecs

• @T4H said:

@CracklePot said:

@T4H said:

For less bass driven music maybe, but I work with a lot of a lot 808’s and deep sines so I hit the red clipping barrier earlier than most with flatter music. The speakers are great for what they are, and that’s a 3 inch monitor, just NOT great at what they aren’t, and that’s a 5 inch and beyond monitor. I’d say they are worth between $175-250 to me, the $299 asking price is bleeding into other monitors that lack the portability (which they really aren’t because they don’t have battery power). However, I caught mine on sale on amazon for like 220 and GC price matched so I’m happy overall, but I have a lot of reference monitors also, so this was more niche for me.

That totally makes sense. And I also flinched at the $300 price tag.

Just wondering...
    Do you use a subwoofer much when mixing that low end bass stuff?
    Or is it better just to check the mixes on another sound system that uses a subwoofer?

• @CracklePot said:

@T4H said:

@CracklePot said:

@T4H said:

Just wondering...
    Or is it better just to check the mixes on another sound system that uses a subwoofer?

It’s not worth $300 to me, especially in a desert island situation.

I like using subs when CREATING the music because it simulates a club or loud car for me. I get in a vibe and just flow. However I actually don’t like using subs when MIXING 808 driven music. It for me, creates to much ‘feel good’ for the track before its been earned from actually mixing properly. I’m vibing to much instead of actually paying attention to all the levels and making sure different punches in vocal recordings properly line up etc. I usually use very anti 808 monitors like the Yamaha’s initially for mixing because they sound like shit with unmixed music, but as you mix they gradually sound better and better. But, I do check it on Bose and Vizio Soundbar systems with subs systems later on in my mixing processes to see if it translates well.

• @T4H said:

@CracklePot said:

@T4H said:

@CracklePot said:

@T4H said:

Just wondering...

It’s not worth $300 to me, especially in a desert island situation.

I like using subs when CREATING the music because it simulates a club or loud car for me. I get in a vibe and just flow. However I actually don’t like using subs when MIXING 808 driven music. It for me, creates to much ‘feel good’ for the track before its been earned from actually mixing properly. I’m vibing to much instead of actually paying attention to all the levels and making sure different punches in vocal recordings properly line up etc. I usually use very anti 808 monitors like the Yamaha’s initially for mixing because they sound like shit with unmixed music, but as you mix they gradually sound better and better. But, I do check it on Bose and Vizio Soundbar systems with subs systems later on in my mixing processes to see if it translates well.

Excellent. Thank you for the guidance.
    B)

• I love mine. You are certainly giving up some low end with the 3” woofers, but if you need something very small which sounds decent, I would recommend them.

I might not master the new Aphex Twin album on them, but for my little iPad music hobby, they’re great. I also used them as my main listening speaker (iPod via Bluetooth) while living abroad for a year.

• @Turntablist said:
    Spend the extra 100 and get the 8010 genelecs

I’m curious, why you prefer the Genelecs?

I really like the small footprint of the 8010 and I’m sure they are good speakers but also much more costly than the iloud Micro 2x 237.-€ compared to 279.-€ .

Sound wise I like both, this comparison is quite interesting...

• @chandroji said:

@Turntablist said:

I really like the small footprint of the 8010 and I’m sure they are good speakers but also much more costly than the iloud Micro 2x 237.-€ compared to 279.-€ .

Yeah just go for the iloud if you are happy to compare monitors using a youtube video ;)

• T4HT4H
    edited February 2019

@chandroji said:

@Turntablist said:

Is this video/post serious or a joke? If it’s serious, then please know this is the wrong way to judge Monitor/Speakers. The ONLY way to compare is to compare them in person. Period. Even then, there are already enough variables that can ruin a comparison in live settings, such as speaker placement, placement of yourself, quality of the sound source, D/A quality, the room, volume levels matching between sets, volume levels matching between speakers within the same speaker set, etc. Forum posts and video reviews where things are explained can be useful for ballparking certain things, but a video playing back music? Nahhh

• I know all these @T4H !
    I just posted this YT link because the Genelec 8010 was mentioned for just a 100.- more. To get a little idea how the monitors can be sounding this video can be useful, especially when i don’t own them to compare them by myself in my environments.

I’m interested in the iloud micros because of the very small footprint, the totally weight of just 1.7 Kg and the positive reviews in the internet. They seem ideal for traveling in my opinion. I’m looking for a mobile solution. That’s why I’m asking for real life experiences in this thread.

I was asking why should I buy a pair of the 8010 Genelics instead the iloud but I did not get an answer, anyway...

Thanks a lot! 😊

• edited February 2019

@chandroji said:
    I’m interested in the iloud micros because of the very small footprint, the totally weight of just 1.7 Kg and the positive reviews in the internet. They seem ideal for traveling in my opinion. I’m looking for a mobile solution. That’s why I’m asking for real life experiences in this thread.

I wanted a small, portable speaker that sounds clean and has enough bass at lower to medium levels. After doing many many "ears-on" comparisons, I've (unexpectedly) stuck with the JBL Charge 2+ model. Small, battery-powered, both Bluetooth and Line-in (important for low-latency work) and both the cleanest overall sound with a slightly boosted bass. They just sounded like I would have adjusted an EQ to make them sound good at lower to medium levels. And they fit in every back pack, plus your iPad plus microphones plus an audio interface maybe.
    Make sure you really give this model a listen, the Charge 3 is a bit larger but sounds completely different.
    I'm always curious and eager to compare new Bluetooth speaker models whenever someone I know has purchasd a new one, and for me the 2+ is still the best one at this size.
    Be careful, there are chinese clones out there that are called JBL Charge 2+ and they look very similar but they're not exactly the same quality.

• Ive noticed a lag when using the bluetooth enabled (making playing/recording midi a little awkward)....anyone else experience the same thing?

• I like my iLouds. They really are very small and having bluetooth means they can double up as an iTunes music player... They're cheap compared to a HomePod!

The lead that connects the two speakers is really thick and inflexible but that's a minor issue.

I thought long and hard about the Genelecs but they are a little bigger and heavier and I have big monitors if I need them. The Genelecs aren't better enough in the bass to tip the balance. For that you really do want bigger drivers.

The difference in sound between the two is less significant than the difference your room will make anyway. A well positioned set of iLouds will sound way better than the Genelecs and vice versa and if your room sounds crap neither will shine.

• @Monoboy said:
    Ive noticed a lag when using the bluetooth enabled (making playing/recording midi a little awkward)....anyone else experience the same thing?

Bluetooth is just there for listening to music. There is far too much latency for playing. I don't think there are any Bluetooth speakers that have low enough latency for recording/creating.

• @klownshed said:

@Monoboy said:
    Ive noticed a lag when using the bluetooth enabled (making playing/recording midi a little awkward)....anyone else experience the same thing?

Bluetooth is just there for listening to music. There is far too much latency for playing. I don't think there are any Bluetooth speakers that have low enough latency for recording/creating.

Yes, if you use their line inputs ;)

• These are way more expensive but I’ve heard good things about them, but never heard them personally. Eve Audio sc203. Might be worth looking into.

• @Monoboy said:

The latency is inherent in Bluetooth audio technology (but not Bluetooth MIDI). I believe it is because Bluetooth audio involves realtime transcoding of the audio to a compressed format and that transcoding takes time.

• @chandroji said:
    and the positive reviews in the internet.

You take your life in your own hands with online reviews unless you know everybody involved, especially with a company like IK, who lets just say were one of the first to realise that controlling internet perception via networks was so powerful, check bigger forums than this for details.

• edited February 2019

Thanks a lot for your advice @Turntablist , I know clever Internet Marketing can be misleading!

When I saw these videos I also was asking myself how much marketing is it and how much IK was involved? Is this paid advertising or are these Grammy winning engineers really enthusiastic about the iloud micro‘s?😎

Happily I don’t need to rush buying new monitors. I own already good speakers (but not for mobil use or travelling) 😊

I got already good advices and recommendations here in the forum , that’s why I ask here before buying...

Thanks a lots 🙏

• @Turntablist Genelecs 8010 no bluetooth? Looked on google but no bluetooth mentioned- I think this is a big selling point with the iLouds.

• How about the Presonus BT ones? Anybody used those?
    They might be worth a look.
    I’m in the market for some compact monitor speakers myself.

• T4HT4H
    edited February 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @Turntablist Genelecs 8010 no bluetooth? Looked on google but no bluetooth mentioned- I think this is a big selling point with the iLouds.

I think bluetooth tends to be viewed as consumer-ish to the true pro audio companies because ultimately a wireless signal doesn't provide the fidelity, near zero latency and 3d-ness of a wired equivalent. The same applies with microphones. IKMultimedia is not a Pro's Pro Audio company. They are a great general consumer level, like a 'ford' of audio. They are sorta gimmicky but actually hit the nail on the head for a lot of this generations minimalist needs, at ok prices. Anyways, as you get into the more Pro Pro audio brands things like bluetooth and other party trick features go away.

• edited February 2019

For me, they work perfectly because I no longer have a dedicated studio space. I’ve been there and done that with a massive bedroom setup which migrated to my spare room when I got a bigger flat. I have a family now so there is no such thing as “spare” when it comes to rooms.

I have a set of nice powered monitors somewhere with great big drivers that sound awesome. But I don’t have the room for them anymore and they haven’t made a sound in years.

Having a set of speakers I can use with Bluetooth for playing back music most of the time (that sound way nicer than any of the smart speakers) and then set up around my MacBook and/or iPad is just perfect.

And that’s not an area the pro speaker makers are bothering with.

If I was currently in the same situation I was in 15 years ago and could have speakers permanently installed I almost certainly wouldn’t buy the iLouds. Because that’s not what they’re for.

I’m just glad somebody is making a speaker that suits me perfectly. The compromises are more than worth it for me as they allow me to create music without wearing headphones again for the first time in years.

I don’t care if they’re not pro. Neither am I. They sound pretty damn good to me considering their tiny size and move-around-about-ability.

• @klownshed said:
    For me, they work perfectly because I no longer have a dedicated studio space. I’ve been there and done that with a massive bedroom setup which migrated to my spare room when I got a bigger flat. I have a family now so there is no such thing as “spare” when it comes to rooms.

I have a set of nice powered monitors somewhere with great big drivers that sound awesome. But I don’t have the room for them anymore and they haven’t made a sound in years.

Having a set of speakers I can use with Bluetooth for playing back music most of the time (that sound way nicer than any of the smart speakers) and then set up around my MacBook and/or iPad is just perfect.

And that’s not an area the pro speaker makers are bothering with.

If I was currently in the same situation I was in 15 years ago and could have speakers permanently installed I almost certainly wouldn’t buy the iLouds. Because that’s not what they’re for.

I’m just glad somebody is making a speaker that suits me perfectly. The compromises are more than worth it for me as they allow me to create music without wearing headphones again for the first time in years.

I agree.

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Turntablist Genelecs 8010 no bluetooth? Looked on google but no bluetooth mentioned- I think this is a big selling point with the iLouds.

I think bluetooth tends to be viewed as consumer-ish to the true pro audio companies because ultimately a wireless signal doesn't provide the fidelity, near zero latency and 3d-ness of a wired equivalent. The same applies with microphones. IKMultimedia is not a Pro's Pro Audio company. They are a great general consumer level, like a 'ford' of audio. They are sorta gimmicky but actually hit the nail on the head for a lot of this generations minimalist needs, at ok prices. Anyways, as you get into the more Pro Pro audio brands things like bluetooth and other party trick features go away.

@T4H they beat carrying my Yamaha NS10s which Ive has since the early 90s when I travel on dj tours and doing beats in hotels and motels. Pro or not Iam not too fussed from a consumer aspect more the zero colouration and the “option” bluetooth or cable Very convenient. For me they seem a perfect match with the ipad on the move and groove.

• @stormbeats said:

@T4H said:

@stormbeats said:

@T4H they beat carrying my Yamaha NS10s which Ive has since the early 90s when I travel on dj tours and doing beats in hotels and motels. Pro or not Iam not too fussed from a consumer aspect more the zero colouration and the “option” bluetooth or cable Very convenient. For me they seem a perfect match with the ipad on the move and groove.

I don’t disagree, view my earlier posts on the ILoud’s, which I own. They are niche and fill a certain type of need, however, it is a consumer/prosumer product. That’s not a knock. Ns10’s they are not. And that’s fine, as long as whoever is in the market fully understands that. Not everyone does without getting other opinions. My statement in response to your post was specifically to the lack of Bluetooth in the higher end monitors, such as the genelecs and beyond, and my theory on why they might omit it from their product offerings as it stands today.

• @T4H said:

@stormbeats said:

@T4H said:

@stormbeats said:

I don’t disagree, view my earlier posts on the ILoud’s, which I own. They are niche and fill a certain type of need, however, it is a consumer/prosumer product. That’s not a knock. Ns10’s they are not. And that’s fine, as long as whoever is in the market fully understands that. Not everyone does without getting other opinions. My statement in response to your post was specifically to the lack of Bluetooth in the higher end monitors, such as the genelecs and beyond, and my theory on why they might omit it from their product offerings as it stands today.

Cool

• @klownshed said:
    For me, they work perfectly ....
    I don’t care if they’re not pro. Neither am I. They sound pretty damn good to me considering their tiny size and move-around-about-ability.

Great post @klownshed thank you! 😊
    I think I will check them out. My music shop here will give me a 30 day return guaranty, so no risk at all. I’m curious to hear them by myself... 😎