Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for acoustic + electronic music artists

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Emancipator is particularly good at this, as a classically trained violinist, mixing electronica with violins:

Air is the classic example of course, bass guitars, Fender Rhodes, and many analog synths:

This is more electronic, but I love the sampled guitar:

• Again the guitar is sampled this time, but still very effective:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    Oh sweet, thanks @richardyot, will have a listen. Totally forgot about Air!

Yes, watching them live might make it more obvious that they actually play real instruments!

• @richardyot said:
    Emancipator is particularly good at this, as a classically trained violinist, mixing electronica with violins:

Air is the classic example of course, bass guitars, Fender Rhodes, and many analog synths:

This is more electronic, but I love the sampled guitar:

Emancipator is awesome! One of my favs. Air also top notch

• I am also torn between those 2 worlds. The only thing I have actually produced is this song. It can get tricky but I think when you can get a balance between some acoustic instruments and electronic ones you come up with magic. I love the organic feel and sound of actual real life sounds and the abilities we have to manipulate those sounds with synthesis, we ca create our own world of sounds.

In the video below, I am using a piano patch, I think Una Corda from Kontakt with some electronic drum elements and some synth pads and leads.

• @d4d0ug said:
    Hello. My musical life is split between two mediums... acoustic instruments and electronic music production (some hardware some software). I’ve tried a few times to combine the two worlds but it’s never really gelled how I’d like it to. Anyway, I’m curious to know any artist recommendations folks here might have, to help get a little inspiration. Cheers.

Set a goal.
    Search for resources.
    Go for it.

• edited February 2019

oh and basically any Pink Floyd, right? I mean they were heavy with acoustic and electric guitars but so much Synths. I think of them as pioneers for electronic music. They were able to take you on a sonic journey.

Basically anything that you can get that organic feel. Maybe think of it more than combining Acoustic with Electronic, more of actually playing the songs as opposed to sequencing them. A totally synthesized sound can have an organic feel if it is played by our hands instead of quantized to death in a sequencer.

I am beginning to experiment more with capturing and recording the audio more so than the midi.

• @d4d0ug Thanks. Not that I am some music theory genius or anything but I was moving in and out of a few different scale modes to add tension.

• @d4d0ug said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Hello. My musical life is split between two mediums... acoustic instruments and electronic music production (some hardware some software). I’ve tried a few times to combine the two worlds but it’s never really gelled how I’d like it to. Anyway, I’m curious to know any artist recommendations folks here might have, to help get a little inspiration. Cheers.

Set a goal.
    Search for resources.
    Go for it.

Yep. Wise words indeed.

Describe your goal and maybe we can help with resources. Something concrete alongside inspiration stuff.
    What would you like to...?

• edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wouldn’t call it a „recommendation“ but...err....I‘m doing exactly this (combining acoustic instruments with electronic sounds from the iPad. Here are two examples from this years FAWM:

An ambient soundscape:

And something more melodic with harp, dobro and piano (Ravenscroft):

• Bibio - vignetting the compost
    Fourtet - rounds, pause
    Boards of Canada - campfire headphase

• edited February 2019

Radiohead’s In Rainbows, and the King of Limbs fit the bill. Pool Shaped Moon I’m reluctant to recommend because it’s just too depressing, but the formerly mentioned are indeed enduring classics.

• Lindsey Stirling?

• 70s Vangelis blends acoustic and synth performances pretty seamlessly.

• @richardyot said:

The lead fake theremin on that album's hit track (Kelly watch the Stars) is a Casio SK-1 toy keyboard sampler using the portamento setting. Occasinal SK-1 drums also to be heard.

• @d4d0ug Hey man, I like to blend acoustic instruments into my process too. Here's one jam from a while back with some acoustic guitar and percussion mixed with BM3 and Zeeon (it picks up around 1:45):

And another jam with that setup:

And here's one from about a decade ago made with my drum set, acoustic guitar and homemade transducer pickup, Korg MicroSampler, Stanton CD-304, and a noisemaker keychain:

Portishead, Beastie Boys, Beck, Bonobo, Clutchy Hopkins, and Air are definitely good sources of inspiration...also Deodato, Bob James, and Grover Washington Jr, if you happen to dig that late 70's to early 80's jazzy soul sound with synths and traditional instruments.

• I thought this was pretty great sounding.

• Then there was this awesome video posted by the great @JesperNordin

• @d4d0ug said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@d4d0ug said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@d4d0ug said:

Set a goal.
    Search for resources.
    Go for it.

Yep. Wise words indeed.

Describe your goal and maybe we can help with resources. Something concrete alongside inspiration stuff.
    What would you like to...?

I’d like to produce and publish an EP of original compositions, using a combination of sounds, samples and live performance from my playing of acoustic guitar, cajon and banjo (yes banjo) and ipad based music apps. My acoustic music could be described as ‘roots’ based (I come from a background of playing blues, folk, but of jazz, bit of country etc). My electronic music production veers off into industrial, breakbeat, techno, lofi hip hop. I’d like to explore a combination of sounds, but I don’t want to just augment say a folk tune with synths, and I don’t just want to augment a say a techno track with guitars. I realise I’m falling down genre holes a bit here.

I guess what I’m looking for examples of what people would think are successful productions, not so I can copy as such, but to get more of a feel how people have successfully combined qualities of live instruments and performance with sampling or synthesis techniques.

If that makes any sense. Probably my longest post here on the forum 😁

I’m also probably over thinking it and should ‘just get on with it’ too lol.

Thanks for share (so elaborate) an answer. I think Bonobo and other suggestions are great. Also Gorillaz or Prefuse74...

I will sugest you less is more so put some limits and also get the EP goal and make it small goals (write a lyric, play bass just analog, etc) and then put yourself inside the eyes (and ears) of your target audience not just for commercial purposes but also for deliver something sometime instead keep overthinking too much.

Place some deadlines and just release.
    Learn.
    Make all the whole process again with what you have learnt from it.
    Enjoy the most you can the gigs and the process in the end IAATM

:wink:

• @d4d0ug glad to be helpful, sir.

• Liked the Air track- it reminded me of Camel, who might also qualify as blending acoustic and electronic instruments.

• @PhilW said:
    Liked the Air track- it reminded me of Camel, who might also qualify as blending acoustic and electronic instruments.

Or most prog rock bands, for that matter.