Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What we need in 2019 from iOS music app developers │ haQ attaQ

Comments

• @Paa89 said:
    Cubasis better FileManager (plus drag and drop from files app).

Couldn’t agree more here. Seems like a simple thing so I’m not sure why it isn’t implemented? Unless I’m missing something!

• edited February 2019

@Paa89
    Be able to move events freely on timeline in Cubasis ( sometimes it’s impossible to get transients on a Grid).

Thats because Cubasis sequencer precision (PPQN) is just 48 - far away less than any other sequencer... it means that 1/4 of bar (== beat) is divided just to 48 steps.. it's real shame... Cubase Pro has PPQN 1920. Also other iOS sequencers have lot bigger PPQN - for example BM3 960, NS2 4096, according Auria dev it has PPQN 960000 but this looks like weird number to me - anyway he said it, which means that Auria has probably biggest PPQN ever from any sequencers on any platform :))

• edited February 2019

<>

• @brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

Hint of the new app... Brombus :D

• @recccp said:

@brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

Nah.. My next app is going to be something that very few people really need but which I really enjoy building. Let the guessing commence :D

• Luckily, iOS is rarely about “need” more about “have to have/want”.
    Enjoy your time!

@brambos said:

@recccp said:

@brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

Nah.. My next app is going to be something that very few people really need but which I really enjoy building. Let the guessing commence :D

• @brambos said:

@recccp said:

@brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

😂 I'm going with...a live wallpaper that triggers noir lolol

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:
    @haulin_notes

But price sentiment of ios users cannot handle it.. :(

Do you think that Biwig is interested in selling their app for 40€ on iOS ? Or U-he is interested to sell Hive for 15€ ?

Pricing sentiment of ios users is biggest issue which holds back big desktop players ... until people will complain for few euros bigger price, i don't see bright future :(

👍Good point. $€50 is considered extravagant on ios, but cheap on desktop for a decent synth or DAW. It is down to the individual companies/devs i guess. Can they work the pricing out, without cheating themselves or annoying their desktop customers? And most importantly... is it worth the considerable effort making code ready for to touchscreens and the App store, with its ever changing standards?

Some will decline. Many have already successfully jumped. SynthMaster, PPG, Korg, Sugar Bytes, VirSyn, Audio Damage, and more. Waldorf started to... hope they continue. Roland must be at least considering throwing in their line. There’s millions of devices ready and waiting (and drooling) for official Roland stuff. I’ll bite if it’s not subscription-based. Don’t need any more wallet leeches, no matter how good they sound!😄

• Funnily all people request is to port everything that there is on traditional DAW's over to IOS. Just get a decent Laptop and your ok. If I look at some of your equipment set up the word "mobile" is maybe only applicable to the way the cables entangle themselfs automatically on your desks ;)

• @brambos said:

@recccp said:

@brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

Gross beat for iOS 😂😂😍

• edited February 2019

@haulin_notes
    There’s millions of devices ready and waiting (and drooling) for official Roland stuff.

oo if this would be true, believe me all big players would be already here... because even small prices would be compensated by basically no piracy.

I thing reality is different. I think we are talking more about few tenths of thousands musicians, i would be very surprised if it would be few hundreds of thousands.. millions ? no way... this segment is desperately small... I believe that also for Korg it's more promotion (same for Steinberg) than source of significant turnover compared to their desktop apps (or hw gear in case of korg). Promotion and some kind of investment into future, in case this segment starts significantly grow.

I may be wrong, i'm not dev so i don't see directly numbers (ok, i saw some numbers of one app).. but audio damage dev recently posted here their numbers, some other devs occassionaly mentions some numbers in discussions like this - i'm just putting together pieces, fragments...

if you want target millions of customers, you need to do some stupidity like flappy bird or somethimg lile that :-)

I can feel the pain of music apps devs, when they realise that just by investing their dev time to other segment, they would increase incomes 10x .. or even 100x.. and no complains... no feature requests... dolce vita

Music apps developement is more about passion than about earning some big money.

Big players doesn't care about passion, just about numbers.

• @recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:
    ) is support for multicore in DAWs, hosts.

wait.. why do you think that host app runs just on single core ??

that was exactly the main issue on iOS 12 on new ipads pro - apps were running on low power cores (2), they fixed it to run on high performance cores at least to my knowledge

Happy to be proven wrong. But most of the user feedbacks, performance tests show that actual performance boost is pretty much identical to single core performance boost between generations. If you have any insider knowledge from dev of how NS2 handles multiple cores, please share :)

Uhm, ok confirmed. But it's caused by Apple limitations, not that host devs are doing something wrong... there is no way to run more realtime safe threads for app than it's main audio thread :( Oo that is true fail from Apple side.

• @Paa89 said:

@brambos said:

@recccp said:

@brambos said:
    <>

@brambos said:
    <>

Gross beat for iOS 😂😂😍

🙏

• edited February 2019

@o_imseng said:
    Funnily all people request is to port everything that there is on traditional DAW's over to IOS. Just get a decent Laptop and your ok. If I look at some of your equipment set up the word "mobile" is maybe only applicable to the way the cables entangle themselfs automatically on your desks ;)

Aside from the “two different operating systems” business which Apple probably (hopefully possibly maybe) will address eventually, I propose that an iPad Pro IS a laptop computer.

@dendy:
    Ok, i was perhaps exaggerating for effect. I’m not under oath even assuming i know what I’m talking about! 😄 You most likely already know this but anyway for the record:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/01/apple-now-has-1-3-billion-active-devices-worldwide/

Apple has 1.3 billion devices out there, including phones, tablets, and desktop. The desktop sales last year were less than 10% of the total, though they will bring in more money per sale. So let’s say roughly 900 million Apple mobile devices out there. And growing. Not all are powerful iPads with the lastest ios, but still... Not even counting the Android platform, which seems to be rapidly growing and improving. Not to quibble, but even a niche market has potential to be large. But like I mentioned above, what do I know. It is up to the individual sellers to do the bean-counting and market forecasting. 🧮🧐📈

• @o_imseng said:
    Funnily all people request is to port everything that there is on traditional DAW's over to IOS. Just get a decent Laptop and your ok. If I look at some of your equipment set up the word "mobile" is maybe only applicable to the way the cables entangle themselfs automatically on your desks ;)

I would’ve been inclined to agree with you until I tried being in the middle seat of a full airplane with the laptop setup needing a midi controller also etc etc. Very uncomfortable. Also the eye rolls, deep breaths, from fellow passengers. Lol iOS solved this with ease, just wish some of my desktop favorites could come along for the ride.

Lol @ the ‘mobile’ setup comment. I agree. There’s definitely some horrendous setups that wouldn’t fly in my house.

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@o_imseng said:

I would’ve been inclined to agree with you until I tried being in the middle seat of a full airplane with the laptop setup needing a midi controller also etc etc. Very uncomfortable. Also the eye rolls, deep breaths, from fellow passengers. Lol iOS solved this with ease, just wish some of my desktop favorites could come along for the ride.

Lol @ the ‘mobile’ setup comment. I agree. There’s definitely some horrendous setups that wouldn’t fly in my house.

Hahaha! Awkward. Must have been even rougher in the 70s to bring a Gibson double-neck and amplifier on a plane to get a Stairway To Heaven singalong going! 😂

• We should also look out for N-Track daw.it’s very promising.
    The developers are working on some issues to make it stable..

• @Paa89 said:
    We should also look out for N-Track daw.it’s very promising.

Funny you mentioned it. I couldn’t believe such a full app was basically never spoke about here. It’s not bad at all. How do u like it compared to Stagelight and Cubasis?

• @dendy said:

@recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:

that was exactly the main issue on iOS 12 on new ipads pro - apps were running on low power cores (2), they fixed it to run on high performance cores at least to my knowledge

Happy to be proven wrong. But most of the user feedbacks, performance tests show that actual performance boost is pretty much identical to single core performance boost between generations. If you have any insider knowledge from dev of how NS2 handles multiple cores, please share :)

Uhm, ok confirmed. But it's caused by Apple limitations, not that host devs are doing something wrong... there is no way to run more realtime safe threads for app than it's main audio thread :( Oo that is true fail from Apple side.

Thanks for confirmation, bummer...
    I know it's not devs fault, they can't do apples homework here.
    But I hope they will push apple. If photoshop 1:1 port is possible (I'm sure it will run on multiple cores), there has to be light at the end of the tunnel.
    Or if apple really doesn't give a f@k about audio, we have to call for our saviour @Michael to bring the impossible for a price of a beer... again :)

• @recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:

But I hope they will push apple. If photoshop 1:1 port is possible (I'm sure it will run on multiple cores), there has to be light at the end of the tunnel.
    Or if apple really doesn't give a f@k about audio, we have to call for our saviour @Michael to bring the impossible for a price of a beer... again :)

Photoshop can take full advantage of all the cores because it doesn’t use a realtime (=audio in this case) thread. It can do multiple calculations asynchronously because there’s nothing that will start crackling or stuttering when a process takes a millisecond too long ;)

Our use case is just very specific and complicated compared to most other stuff.

• @brambos said:

@recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:

@dendy said:

@recccp said:

Photoshop can take full advantage of all the cores because it doesn’t use a realtime (=audio in this case) thread. It can do multiple calculations asynchronously because there’s nothing that will start crackling or stuttering when a process takes a millisecond too long ;)

Our use case is just very specific and complicated compared to most other stuff.

Thanks for the input!
    Yeah, I know it's specific. I just hope there will be some sort of solution with time. Similar went down with desktop years ago, now it's much better.
    For a starter offline rendering with oversampling (maybe already available?) and then slowly... maybe. I'm sure most of users who bought the latest pro for 1000+ are not aware that their device runs as such for audio and the upcoming consumer line iPad will probably bring 80% of the power for 25-30% of the price.

• edited February 2019

But knowing this - it's game changer for question which iPad is best for music apps.
    Multicore performance doesn't matter, it's just simgle core performance which counts.

iPad 2018 - A10 - single core geekbemch 3500 - price 350 - lightning, jack

iPad Pro 11" 2018 - A12X - single core geekbench 4900 - price 880, no lightning connector, no jack

It's obvious - 2018 iPad is winner in price/performamce ratio

• @dendy said:
    But knowing this - it's game changer for question which iPad is best for music apps.
    Multicore performance doesn't matter, it's just simgle core performance which counts.

iPad Pro 11" 2018 - A12X - single core geekbench 4900 - price 880, no lightning connector, no jack

What about RAM?

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@Paa89 said:

Funny you mentioned it. I couldn’t believe such a full app was basically never spoke about here. It’s not bad at all. How do u like it compared to Stagelight and Cubasis?

The only set back is the stability issue.it crashes quite often,but I’m sure once they iron out the problems,it will be one of the best.
    One of the things I like about this app is the fact that you can see midi of different tracks in one view.Ghost notes.🔥🔥
    It has aux and sends something Cubasis lacks.
    In Stagelight and Cubasis, you can create your own drums kits but can’t do that in N-Track.it has a drum sequencer and being able to import your own samples to the sequencer would make it a great app.
    I like the fact that just like Cubasis, you can see your mixer channels on the same window with the timeline giving you a good tracking view.
    It has flex time for midi and audio.you can route audio within tracks in the project.it has drag and drop from files app.🔥🔥
    You can add marker points.and when The playhead gets to a marker,N-Track displays the marker name and colour..the only other app with marker is Auria.
    You can change the tempo and time signature any where in your project
    They developers said they are in the process of adding more features to the app.i like the fact that it’s similar to Cubasis with more

• @T4H said:

@dendy said:

What about RAM?

Long time since I ran into ram related problems even on my Air2.
    True I'm using 95% AUv3 which if fails will fail in controlled manner.
    Also for AUv3 workflow 4-6G ram is pointless imo.

• edited February 2019

@T4H said:

@dendy said:

What about RAM?

2 GB vs 4 GB .. don't think that 2GB is limitimg in any way for host + au plugins use case - there is still 350 MB limit for all instances of same plugin...

audio tracks usually streams from disk ..

• @Paa89 said:

@T4H said:

@Paa89 said:

The only set back is the stability issue.it crashes quite often,but I’m sure once they iron out the problems,it will be one of the best.
    One of the things I like about this app is the fact that you can see midi of different tracks in one view.Ghost notes.🔥🔥
    In Stagelight and Cubasis, you can create your own drums kits but can’t do that in N-Track.it has a drum sequencer and being able to import your own samples to the sequencer would make it a great app.
    I like the fact that just like Cubasis, you can see your mixer channels on the same window with the timeline giving you a good tracking view.
    It has flex time for midi and audio.you can route audio within tracks in the project.it has drag and drop from files app.🔥🔥
    You can add marker points.and when The playhead gets to a marker,N-Track displays the marker name and colour..the only other app with marker is Auria.
    They developers said they are in the process of adding more features to the app.i like the fact that it’s similar to Cubasis with more features

• T4HT4H
    edited February 2019

@Paa89 said:

@T4H said:

@Paa89 said:

They developers said they are in the process of adding more features to the app.i like the fact that it’s similar to Cubasis with more

Thanks for the insight! Stability is a must for me so I guess i’ll live in NS2 for now. I PM’d you btw. Was wondering if you had any vocal artist on your tracks I could check out.

• Would be nice if someone could come up with synth similar to Sculpture

• I just need a bit of time. The amount of stuff I haven't had time to play with properly yet, is unreal.