Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Apps/Updates We Are Waiting For...

13»

Comments

• @T4H said:

@d4d0ug said:
    NS2 - audio tracks, timestretch, midi auv3 record obvs
    BM3 - stability, enhanced workflow, midi auv3 record
    Modstep2

I agree with Jacob - an AUv3 sampler (basically everything the sampler part of bm3 can do in an AUv3) would be brilliant.

What I don’t need are any more synth AUv3s. Personally don’t care for iPhone versions or universality of apps, but I know there are fans of such things.

I’m especially looking forward to Enso (AUv3 looper) from Audiodamage - this fills a a gap.

All of this. And Waves to port over its Mercury/Abbey Road/Studio Classics bundles. Valhalla. Soundtoys. Native Instruments getting on the iOS train seriously in Auv3 would be nice. And Auto-Tune EFX in Auv3. 😉

Copied from the another similar discussion since I just posted this and it fits.

• ATM - hanging for the new Borderlands update :p

• Want: D1 and Synth One in AU and also on Mac AU...with seamless project import from GB to Logic Pro

• SWAM instruments in the Roli Noise Auv3! Any kind of Samplr update at all!

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    KB-1 (or whatever it’s called) on iPhone?

NS2 on iPhone

Gadget 2

exactly this

• AudioKit AUV3
    D1 AUV3
    Updates for Stage Light 4 that includes AUV3 fixes and IAA intergration
    Gadget 2

• I wish all apps to have a proper MIDI implementation. That means:

• sequencers are able to send program change (currently only modstep can do this). Also AB3 and AUM should have implemented some MIDI controllable way to send PC singals
    • instruments to be able to listen to program change and change presets accordingly
    • every app that can listen to MIDI should be also able to send the signal value to the controllers to light up LEDs accordingly (super-useful for endless knobs that use LEDs which indicate the current value level)

Ipad (or even iphone) would be an awesome all-in-one station for both production and live performance and for both travelling and work in studio - you just connect it to your "rack"pon th desk and enjoy the physical knobs, faders, pads, keys,... But without proper MIDI which is ignored by developers it's impossible.

And of course, still looking for that "one to rule them all" DAW where I would feel like home. Beatmaker3 is by far the closest (but has it's own quirk we all know), NS2 was a bit disappointed (still nowhere near the BM3 features set, also the GUI feels like meh), Gadget is closed system with inferior effects, Cubasis and Auria are more suitable for recordin and editing audio, MIDI is pain... So this is obviously where iOS lacks the most. No more synths and effects please, only the highest grade quality would be welcome, but still without proper DAW I don't believe there will be market for it...

• @skrat said:
    No more synths and effects please, only the highest grade quality would be welcome, but still without proper DAW I don't believe there will be market for it...

Is that based on actual insights? If so I'd like to see it, because as far as I can tell effects and synths are still by far the most fertile market on iOS. The more conventional the synth/effect, the bigger the market in fact.

• @ecou said:
    I’m always waiting for Cubasis update cause they are always so worth it.

Metoo!

• @marcuspresident said:

@ecou said:
    I’m always waiting for Cubasis update cause they are always so worth it.

Metoo!

And me because my Spacecraft isn’t fully operational in it.

• @marmakin said:
    SWAM instruments in the Roli Noise Auv3! Any kind of Samplr update at all!

+1
    and Borderlands Granular

• @brambos said:

@skrat said:
    No more synths and effects please, only the highest grade quality would be welcome, but still without proper DAW I don't believe there will be market for it...

Is that based on actual insights? If so I'd like to see it, because as far as I can tell effects and synths are still by far the most fertile market on iOS. The more conventional the synth/effect, the bigger the market in fact.

I have zero insights, to be honest, and I am not a fan of "gut feeling predictions" too ;) But in market research, there is always the risk of "unknown unknown". Obviously, many people dealing with music production nowadays completely ignore iOS. Some of them know there is some Korg Gadget, because of their aggressive marketing and a well-known brand name, and maybe some know GarageBand, because Apple users are usually familiar with it. Unfortunately, both of them are considered "toys", so it's not really attractive for them. There is no real incentive to switch to iOS as there is no "clear path", no single obvious candidate DAW that will make them want to try it out. When I am promoting iOS to "traditional" music producers / sound engineers etc... I always struggle with recommending one option to try out first, as I am afraid, they'll be dissapointed. For every DAW there is a lot of "it's great in many things, but this basic feature is missing / it's unstable,..." In desktop world, you have many DAWs where you don't need to mention these "buts", they're simply mature enough. You can easily recommend Ableton live to electronic music producer, or Logic Pro or Cubase or even Bitwig, as they're all feature-rich and pretty stable. There's no such thing on iOS.

I completely agree that conventional synths or effects have the biggest sales right now and the only "cash-cows" here are the "app collectors". Their motivation to buy new apps is because they had already explored the older ones and want "new toys". But this is just a fragment of the potential market in my opinion. We're currently missing the professionals who want to be able to use at least all the core functionality they're used to from the desktop DAWs. Nothing extra fancy, just solid basics - automation recording and drawing, proper sample editing, pitch shifting, MIDI control etc... all of these somehow fail, are very poorly implemented or are simply missing.

That said, I completely understand there is no strong initiative on making a proper iOS DAW. There's probably not a huge interest from the desktop producers too. So it's an interconnected problem - no one would develop an app for not yet existing market and no one would switch to platform if there are no interesting app for them yet. We can only hope for slow improvements of the existing apps and that they'll slowly attract more and more people. But if there's a really competitive DAW on iOS right now, I believe the sales of all the other apps would sky-rocket. This is why I wished for some superstar DAW to come up :)

• @skrat said:

@brambos said:

@skrat said:

I have zero insights, to be honest, and I am not a fan of "gut feeling predictions" too ;) But in market research, there is always the risk of "unknown unknown". Obviously, many people dealing with music production nowadays completely ignore iOS. Some of them know there is some Korg Gadget, because of their aggressive marketing and a well-known brand name, and maybe some know GarageBand, because Apple users are usually familiar with it. Unfortunately, both of them are considered "toys", so it's not really attractive for them. There is no real incentive to switch to iOS as there is no "clear path", no single obvious candidate DAW that will make them want to try it out. When I am promoting iOS to "traditional" music producers / sound engineers etc... I always struggle with recommending one option to try out first, as I am afraid, they'll be dissapointed. For every DAW there is a lot of "it's great in many things, but this basic feature is missing / it's unstable,..." In desktop world, you have many DAWs where you don't need to mention these "buts", they're simply mature enough. You can easily recommend Ableton live to electronic music producer, or Logic Pro or Cubase or even Bitwig, as they're all feature-rich and pretty stable. There's no such thing on iOS.

I completely agree that conventional synths or effects have the biggest sales right now and the only "cash-cows" here are the "app collectors". Their motivation to buy new apps is because they had already explored the older ones and want "new toys". But this is just a fragment of the potential market in my opinion. We're currently missing the professionals who want to be able to use at least all the core functionality they're used to from the desktop DAWs. Nothing extra fancy, just solid basics - automation recording and drawing, proper sample editing, pitch shifting, MIDI control etc... all of these somehow fail, are very poorly implemented or are simply missing.

That said, I completely understand there is no strong initiative on making a proper iOS DAW. There's probably not a huge interest from the desktop producers too. So it's an interconnected problem - no one would develop an app for not yet existing market and no one would switch to platform if there are no interesting app for them yet. We can only hope for slow improvements of the existing apps and that they'll slowly attract more and more people. But if there's a really competitive DAW on iOS right now, I believe the sales of all the other apps would sky-rocket. This is why I wished for some superstar DAW to come up :)

Great post, thanks! :)

• You working on anything new, @brambos ?

• @skrat said:

@brambos said:

@skrat said:

This is a spot on observation. I am hopeful that NS2 will get there, but therein lies the problem. For every new DAW app that comes out, I have to add the “hopefull” asterisk to it because they’re almost always incomplete. Then, if the dev isn’t making any money on it, the updates slow down, and you know the rest of the story.

• @skrat said:

@brambos said:

@skrat said:

100 percent agreed.