Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Hybrid Music Makers": Hardware and Software/Apps!

What apps do you you still use in your rig set up?

Why do those apps still remain relevant?

I ask because of all people, my wife asked me this.

In the car, she said so you are into your hardware(she named them)but do you still use the apps? Why do you still use those?

What makes them valuable to you?

For me it hit me for instrument type apps.

Apps that are unique are made specifically for IOS are the ones that I stay with.

Animoog
Samplr
Spacecraft
Borderlands
and other Granular synths.

and then of course FX AU apps, AUM, LOOPY, and AUDIOBUS.

I realized I don't really use "emulations" much anymore. I didn't pre think my use of apps but that is how it seemed to wash out.

How about you?

Comments

• edited February 2019

Granular is outstanding on IOS (whatever you pick as synth or fx) B)
    Animoog is may favourite (midi) keyboard, but I don't like the synth that much.
    I switched from Oscilab to Aphelian (same devs) for sequenced midi notes and control.
    SamplR is a keeper for it's immediate 'touch the sound' effect.

Centerpiece of the setup is AUM driving an iCA4+, routing midi and audio between IOS, Creamware Scope (Modular synth) and Pro Tools TDM, the latter mainly as a fake (multiple) Eventide H3000s and reverb processor (the shabby Lexicon and early UAD Realverb) plus some dynamics by Drawmer and Bombfactory (1176, LA2A).

Both DAWs allow to capture the iPad sounds (and arrange them) or return the result directly like a rack processor to an iCA's analog input pair to be sampled in IOS.
    Bridging 3 worlds by touch, AUM just rules :)

Sound generators to keep: all PPGs, iVCS3, Zeeon, DRC, Synclavier, Mitosynth, M3000HD
    FX processors: all Apesoft/Amazing Noises, Kymatica, Holderness, Bias and JamUp for amp simulation.

• A large part of continuing to have racks of hardware synths and recording gear is enjoying the physical interaction and ease of access to things I use a lot (a few mono synths, amps, preamps, comps, mixer, tuner, studio control center, effects pedals). But ya, I'm sure I could set up a midi controller to do similar in software.

And some of my recording hardware, I've had for over a decade. If it broke, I probably would not replace them. They are from a time when that type of stuff wasn't perfected in software.

More specific to the iPad, I can't play keys effectively on the iPad, hell, I can't play well on mini keys...too many years playing full sized keys and my brain and hand just knows the intervals and feels its way around. Same with some drum pads. I don't enjoy step sequence anything. I tend to write stuff with a fair bit of variable swing/groove, whatever you want to call it, so I just hit record and play. One of the reasons iPad works better as a midi recorder/pattern sequencer for me.

So there is that app, Modstep.

The other apps, well the iPad for me is all about a portable live thing. iPad, audio interface, midi controller and some drum and synth Au3s (Mostly Ruismaker and Icegear) and I have an electro backing midi loop playing, synth and drum module rig that fits in a pedalboard case. And I have an Uno Synth, just because there was room in the case. It sounds good and it easy to tweak most any parameter on the fly.

This is all pretty new to me ...adding this into a former more rock band, but as we move into using some of the iPad compositions for other than live, I have such easy options:
    -Can copy the midi out of Modstep and plug it into any of my desktop synths or drum plugins.
    -Or just use the iPad audio. Nothing shabby about any of it, just sometimes I'm looking for a slightly different sound. Ones I probably could find on iOS, but I can get close enough with the iPad and the synths I'm used to, I can get there faster on the desktop. I probably already have a preset.
    -Or layer em up.

• Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    Flux:FX
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

I'm about 50/50 with apps & hardware. I transfer a lot of iOS tracks through hardware into my mac.

• @Multicellular said:
    A large part of continuing to have racks of hardware synths and recording gear is enjoying the physical interaction and ease of access to things I use a lot (a few mono synths, amps, preamps, comps, mixer, tuner, studio control center, effects pedals). But ya, I'm sure I could set up a midi controller to do similar in software.

And some of my recording hardware, I've had for over a decade. If it broke, I probably would not replace them. They are from a time when that type of stuff wasn't perfected in software.

More specific to the iPad, I can't play keys effectively on the iPad, hell, I can't play well on mini keys...too many years playing full sized keys and my brain and hand just knows the intervals and feels its way around. Same with some drum pads. I don't enjoy step sequence anything. I tend to write stuff with a fair bit of variable swing/groove, whatever you want to call it, so I just hit record and play. One of the reasons iPad works better as a midi recorder/pattern sequencer for me.

So there is that app, Modstep.

The other apps, well the iPad for me is all about a portable live thing. iPad, audio interface, midi controller and some drum and synth Au3s (Mostly Ruismaker and Icegear) and I have an electro backing midi loop playing, synth and drum module rig that fits in a pedalboard case. And I have an Uno Synth, just because there was room in the case. It sounds good and it easy to tweak most any parameter on the fly.

This is all pretty new to me ...adding this into a former more rock band, but as we move into using some of the iPad compositions for other than live, I have such easy options:
    -Can copy the midi out of Modstep and plug it into any of my desktop synths or drum plugins.
    -Or just use the iPad audio. Nothing shabby about any of it, just sometimes I'm looking for a slightly different sound. Ones I probably could find on iOS, but I can get close enough with the iPad and the synths I'm used to, I can get there faster on the desktop. I probably already have a preset.
    -Or layer em up.

Well said

• @BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

I'm about 50/50 with apps & hardware. I transfer a lot of iOS tracks through hardware into my mac.

What do you mean be “through hardware”?

• @Telefunky said:
    Granular is outstanding on IOS (whatever you pick as synth or fx) B)
    Animoog is may favourite (midi) keyboard, but I don't like the synth that much.
    I switched from Oscilab to Aphelian (same devs) for sequenced midi notes and control.
    SamplR is a keeper for it's immediate 'touch the sound' effect.

Centerpiece of the setup is AUM driving an iCA4+, routing midi and audio between IOS, Creamware Scope (Modular synth) and Pro Tools TDM, the latter mainly as a fake (multiple) Eventide H3000s and reverb processor (the shabby Lexicon and early UAD Realverb) plus some dynamics by Drawmer and Bombfactory (1176, LA2A).

Both DAWs allow to capture the iPad sounds (and arrange them) or return the result directly like a rack processor to an iCA's analog input pair to be sampled in IOS.
    Bridging 3 worlds by touch, AUM just rules :)

Sound generators to keep: all PPGs, iVCS3, Zeeon, DRC, Synclavier, Mitosynth, M3000HD
    FX processors: all Apesoft/Amazing Noises, Kymatica, Holderness, Bias and JamUp for amp simulation.

What are you using Aphelion for if you don’t mind me asking? Musically? Midi audio ?

• BlocsWave as pack-based instru inpiration and due Ableton export.
    Garageband as notepad and amazing sounds (alchemy and strings)
    Logic Remote for use in junction Garageband/Mainstage/logic.
    Djay due spotify and being rock solid on my ipad mini4.
    Musical bloc due it recognises chords/harmony from audio and exports to garageband.
    Yamaha Chord tracker for similar function to Musical bloc.
    Chord, Midiculous, iReal pro for music learning purposes

and also I have Loopy/GTL for these days I want to backtrack or compose on the fly from my keyboard/keytar. I need to dig more into Stagelight since cross platform is a godsend.

Some other tools like AudioShare, midi wrench, midiflow... for different purposes and crazy ideas. I have more apps but I just use the first paragraph ones and not every day most of them...

but, if I could buy a Pioneer DJs1000, a digitech trio and some other hardware stuff I probably will be using iPad and iPhone for music making less and less for sure.

• edited February 2019

@RUST( i )K atm I just use Aphelian for midi sequences, fed to IOS synths or a Yamaha TX-7. I like the way of setup and alter the tonal range for riffing, works easier than classic pattern sequencers.
    Will add midi CCs to the game soon (I'm not yet very familiar with the app, but it's nicely usable) - an outstanding piece of interface work.

• edited February 2019

Maybe some year, I'll go with more hardware. I stopped with a MIDI controller/synth (Ultranova) and the Roland SE-02 + Ext Box. Plus my MPKMini controller. It's a matter of space and speed of creativity. I also have moved away from iOS mostly. For now. But with Studiomux working again for me (after 1+ years not), I was having fun applying an FX chain on my iPhone to my SE-02 thru my DAW.

I think apps that generate and control MIDI on my iPhone will have the most long-term use. Gadget will when I'm needing a break from the PC I'm on all day for work. Lastly will be iOS synths (maybe drum machines more in the long-term?), though, again, now that I can use them easily enough in my DAW again, who knows. But I just bought U-He Diva, Repro (NI sale) and Hive (diff sale). And, because I just made the choice to not get more hardware, I then also bought Omnisphere (diff sale) for a .... quadfecta? Plus the Waveform 10 upgrade. I find that Waveform + Mixbus32C continues to remove any need or desire to "upgrade" to Cubase or Studio One, etc.

I could've bought a desktop Deepmind 12, which was the alternative for what I just spent.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

iPad>audio interface>hardware devices>audio interface>mac

Not really the pro way of doing things but it's how I like to do it.

• @BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

Who needs PRO when you got BRO!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

:wink:

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    Spacecraft
    Moog apps
    Synth Book (iphone)
    iVCS3
    Patterning 2
    Dixie
    M3000HD
    Rozeta
    BM3
    AUM & Audioshare

BRO-TAZTIK