Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

1/8th dotted note delay in ToneStack - awesome!

In Paul David's most awesome guitar instruction video on 1/8th dotted notes at I immediately went to my only source of pedals, ToneStack.

It turns out that by turning on BPM Sync for Duck Walk, Taproom and Delay Tripper that you can emulate the 1/8th dotted note extremely well. I've been having a blast this morning playing along with it using muted 1/8th notes as Paul suggests.

What a world I live in where I can turn on my iPad and use the IAPs I purchased some time ago to get access to a bunch of pedal noises. I wonder what other tricks ToneStack has up its sleeves that I never knew what all those buttons and sliders actually do!

Comments

• Cool video. The Edge built a career around this effect, the drums had to follow the delay pedal for tempo...

• edited February 2019

@richardyot said:
    Cool video. The Edge built a career around this effect, the drums had to follow the delay pedal for tempo...

If it's true that The Edge uses the 1/8th dotted delay, the "magic" of his sound comes from the addition of 2 delays in fact. I can't remember where or when I've read that... but if I remember well enough : The first delay is an 1/8th with no modulation (a sort of slapback) that feeds the second one which is an 1/8th dotted modulated delay.

• so fun, I discovered this effect in my many hours of tinkering in Animoog and its built in delay.

• @Gratouilli said:
    If it's true that The Edge uses the 1/8th dotted delay, the "magic" of his sound comes from the addition of 2 delays in fact. I can't remember where or when I've read that... but if I remember well enough : The first delay is an 1/8th with no modulation (a sort of slapback) that feeds the second one which is an 1/8th dotted modulated delay.

In ToneStack I think then you will want to use TapRoom as the delay of choice. You can set it up to do an initial 1/8th note delay and then a second dotted 1/8th note (and up to 5 total delays).

On second look it looks like Duckwalk can also do something similar but it looks odd that it has a Left delay and a Right delay but then has a separate Pan control. I'll have to play with that some more.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2019

We can do this with a few AUv3 FX too:

Discord4
    Dubstation 2
    AudoEffx

• Just watched this video from Sweetwater, which also highlights the beauty of the 1/8th dotted delay

• Here is a handy 1/8th dotted note calculator to MS based on tempo. It says 375ms for 120 so I set it to .37 in D1 and it seems to work great.

https://www.guitar9.com/column/delay-time-calculator

Some great fun to be had with the new PCM Card inside of D1 with Dotted 1/8th notes. Just saying. Excited for its release.

• Dubstation 2 might be good for this too

• Interesting thread. I'd just always assumed dotted eighths and other time syncs were, like, Delay 101, first day of class summer-reading review stuff.

Oh well, congrats on your discovery. It will take you far.

• @oat_phipps I think sometimes concepts like this are understood and common knowledge but when you see them applied, like in the above video, it can spark many ideas and those "ah ha" moments.

• edited February 2019

(EDIT: sorry if this sounds snarky, it's sometimes hard for me to realize just what stage of learning that everyone else is at. i certainly remember my own enthusiasm when i first learned about this "trick", so i can understand. hell, i'm still excited by dotted 8th delays 20+ years later.)

i guess i'd have to watch the video, but i'm thinking that if someone needs to see a video on how to use dotted 8th note delays then the concept isn't quite understood yet at all.

for me it was hearing 'One Of These Days' by Pink Floyd and early Skinny Puppy that sparked those ideas. the "ah ha" moment was first using a delay pedal and adjusting the delay time while i played some whole or quarter notes. all of a sudden i realized how they got that cool rhythmic echo.

i guess now it's more common for people to just watch videos to show them what settings to use to get a certain effect and don't experiment beyond that.

• @richardyot said:
    Cool video. The Edge built a career around this effect, the drums had to follow the delay pedal for tempo...

• My favorite delay setting for synths is 1/4 note on one side and dotted 1/8 note on the other. I use Dubstation 2 for this effect.

• @jbuonacc Not snarky I dont think.

You have to realize how much iOS has opened music up to the world. More importantly the younger generation. They might not have ever heard pink floyd or anything to spark their "ah ha" moment.

Also, back in the day, if you spent the money on a delay pedal, you are going to learn it and experiment with it. Now you can buy 10 delay effects apps for the price of one delay pedal. So folks might not be as experimental since they are overwhelmed by the shear number of apps they have and are not limited by having 1 pedal.

Videos like songs give inspiration to mimic what they are doing then applying it to their own style.

• @gmslayton said:
    @jbuonacc Not snarky I dont think.

You have to realize how much iOS has opened music up to the world. More importantly the younger generation. They might not have ever heard pink floyd or anything to spark their "ah ha" moment.

Also, back in the day, if you spent the money on a delay pedal, you are going to learn it and experiment with it. Now you can buy 10 delay effects apps for the price of one delay pedal. So folks might not be as experimental since they are overwhelmed by the shear number of apps they have and are not limited by having 1 pedal.

Videos like songs give inspiration to mimic what they are doing then applying it to their own style.

So well said. Reminded me running around with my Pentax K-x and the 18-55 mm glass. I used this for quite some years because uncoiling afford another lens back then... I owned this shit lens haha

• @gmslayton said:
    @jbuonacc Not snarky I dont think.

I think a lot of people are familiar with the sound of the dotted delay, but maybe never knew how it’s produced or what it’s called.

Through my journey in learning synthesis, ive has many a question that we’re very basic in nature, and have found YouTube videos to be helpful. I’m learning modular synthesis via VCV Rack, and what might be “basic” videos for experienced users are exactly what I needed when starting out.

It really is about where you are in the journey.

• Seriously, get TapDelay... will take you to totally new places creatively, especially if you control it with a midi controller...

• whatever you get, spend some time playing around with all those buttons and sliders. find out what they do. a lot of times it's those "in between" settings that really teach you the most. just sweeping through with the delay time knob (not set to sync by note division) you'll find all the useful settings. bring it down to 10-40ms and play with the feedback amount (watch your ears/speakers).

all the things you don't learn when just setting the delay to sync to bpm and choosing "dotted 8th".