Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM inputs too hot

Hello folks

My inputs into AUM seem to bee too hot, namely synth one, which distorts quite easily, so I have to put Synth one‘s master volume to below 10%. Also the input from my Zoom F1, which I use as a portable audio interface, comes in way to hot, so I have to dial the F1‘s input to it‘s lowest setting, which still is too much sometimes and which makes the whole path very noisy.

Is there an input gain setting, which I haven‘t found yet? Putting an limiter in the channel dosn‘t help, as the damage is done by then.

Thanks

Stefan

Comments

• @geesbert said:
    Hello folks

My inputs into AUM seem to bee too hot, namely synth one, which distorts quite easily, so I have to put Synth one‘s master volume to below 10%. Also the input from my Zoom F1, which I use as a portable audio interface, comes in way to hot, so I have to dial the F1‘s input to it‘s lowest setting, which still is too much sometimes and which makes the whole path very noisy.

Is there an input gain setting, which I haven‘t found yet? Putting an limiter in the channel dosn‘t help, as the damage is done by then.

Thanks

Stefan

There is a gain control, but that's for built in mic only. AUM doesn't apply any additional gain to the incoming signal, that's handled by your audio interface or the instrument in use.

• @geesbert said:
    Hello folks

Thanks

Stefan

I run 4 / 5 pieces of hardware, a MacBook, and another iOS device into AUM with no issues.

Perhaps re configuration or new devices in regards to headphones, mixer(hardware), or audio interface would help.

Otherwise if you are one device I suggest :smile:

Use the controls for gain saturation or perhaps the adjust signal at origin

Also

Have you tried

Amazing Noise Limit
    Or
    DDMF No Limit Limiter

Also not sure about signal path at output but if going into say Loopy that has had a few instances it gain bombed things on me.

Also your final destination may also be acutely affecting the signal as well

• Overloading AUM is a common feature to be watched in many videos (level figures turn to red)... ;)
    AUM is a mixer with no influence on input signal level.
    Instead you use the virtual faders to adjust each source.
    If you input 2 channels which are more or less full level, then each fader is set to -6 dB, effectively halfing each channel's level.
    That way the engine never can overload.
    With more channels, reduce more - no need to calculate exact values because it's a rare case that peaks hit each other precisely in time, but the more likely this becomes, the lower each channel's level to avoid unpleasant surprises.
    This is a bit simplified, but the general mixing rule of thumb.

• @Telefunky said:
    Overloading AUM is a common feature to be watched in many videos (level figures turn to red)... ;)
    AUM is a mixer with no influence on input signal level.
    Instead you use the virtual faders to adjust each source.
    If you input 2 channels which are more or less full level, then each fader is set to -6 dB, effectively halfing each channel's level.
    That way the engine never can overload.
    With more channels, reduce more - no need to calculate exact values because it's a rare case that peaks hit each other precisely in time, but the more likely this becomes, the lower each channel's level to avoid unpleasant surprises.
    This is a bit simplified, but the general mixing rule of thumb.

or what he said.

;)

• Yes, but obviously he didn't understand the working principle behind it.
    There's nothing 'hot' about AUM's input channels.
    They only default to the zero 0 dB/fs setting.
    Moving the fader down for 6dB halves the level, 12dB is a quarter of the original.
    If 4 channels (each full level) come into AUM, then setting each AUM channel to -12dB will mix them to be equally loud and nothing will ever cross the red line.

There is some internal headroom in AUM's mix engine most likely, which I don't know and left out for simplicity.

Watch the input level of each channel (solo for individual detail), just as on any mixer.