Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modbap through ipad

edited February 2019 in Creations

So i have been building this eurorack for few months now and finally got it where i have drums and 2 synth voices in it. And naturally 2 days ago i blew up a fuse in racks power source and cant play it till i get a new fuse.. Anyways heres the 4 patches i recorded with it till now if someone wants to take a listen. Any sort of constructive criticism, tips or any sort of ideas are more than welcome. However the tracks are just raw live recordings from a very limited system, levels might not be ideal etc.

I aimed to make sorta boombap style hip hop beats fully using my modular and hopefully make something my friend could rap on.

Sounds go through 3 individual inputs to AUM. Fxs used: haaze, kleverb, pumphouse, NoLimits, fac transient, objeq(only on first track at times for those steel drum sounds with varying decay). 3rd song has some very little background droning sound from spacecraft. Sequencing is done with beatstep pro and i changed them manually on the go instead of chaining them to build the whole song like that.

Comments

• Cool stuff (maybe the white noise is a bit harsh on the last track ; )
    So all the sounds are from the rack? Nerd that I am, I'm curious what modules you have.
    And apart from effects and recording are you going to integrate the iPad more into this setup? (use MIDI to CV converter or direct audio to CV...) I've been considering how to make this all work....

• edited February 2019

@aplourde said:
    Cool stuff (maybe the white noise is a bit harsh on the last track ; )
    So all the sounds are from the rack? Nerd that I am, I'm curious what modules you have.
    And apart from effects and recording are you going to integrate the iPad more into this setup? (use MIDI to CV converter or direct audio to CV...) I've been considering how to make this all work....

Thanks :) Yea, uncomfortably harsh white noises is what you get when you forget to check the sound with headphones before pushing rec :D

Heres my rack for at the moment:
    https://cdn.modulargrid.net/shots/watermark_rack/modulargrid_762156.jpg?1549744792

Im trying to do all the sequencing from hardware rather than ipad. I want ipad to be more like mixer, fx box and recorder. Im open to using it as an arp for example and i have tinkered with the idea of running a voice through model 15. But my aim is to build the system so that ipad is just an fx box and recorder basically.

I have thought about getting that es8 or what ever that nice midi to cv module was called, but im leaning towards hardware sequencer instead.

• @ToMess said:
    I have thought about getting that es8 or what ever that nice midi to cv module was called, but im leaning towards hardware sequencer instead.

The FH-2 Factotum? Yeah, I've been dabbling in this world and considering options. I'm such a fan of iOS stuff that I really want to find a way to integrate them; the idea of sending a bunch of CVs from modstep is pretty appealing....

• @aplourde said:

The FH-2 Factotum? Yeah, I've been dabbling in this world and considering options. I'm such a fan of iOS stuff that I really want to find a way to integrate them; the idea of sending a bunch of CVs from modstep is pretty appealing....

I was thinking this http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html , but that fh-2 actually seems more interesting, i didnt notice it existing before.

I have been considering on selling my mpc live and either buying modules for that extra voice or now have been considering digitakt also. Selling pico drums and using dfam more as a synth or sell it also and get some other semi modular or modules for that 4th voice. If you got some ideas for what to get, let me know :)

Btw i figured that you can replace amp envelope and VCA modules with the ivcs3 envelope AU module triggered via midi. Pretty cool trick for another voice when you dont have all the modules for another voice. Combine some AU filter and you could basically get away with VCO alone for a simple synth voice. Or run the same signal thru multiple FX lanes, use wavefolders etc and get a lot more complex voice from a single VCO.

I have been thinking hard on using ios more in my workflow(than just basically fxs, mixer and recorder), but have figured i want to minimize any sort of fiddling with the screen. I want to have just AUM open all the time and not have to switch apps all the time. Second ipad would be pretty sweet tho. Connected with es-8 module to rack and rack sending audio to Aum on another ipad.

Personally im not a big fan of modstep. Its just too fiddly somehow, especially with it not having an undo button and having to menu dive every time you want to undo something. But i know some people love it, so.. If i were to use ipad more in my workflow, i would use beatmaker 3.

• @ToMess said:

@aplourde said:

I was thinking this http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html , but that fh-2 actually seems more interesting, i didnt notice it existing before.

ES-8 is a DC-coupled audio interface, so you can do audio and CV. True CV is preferable for timing, resolution, etc. However, there aren't a lot of options for precise CV control on iOS (I think just Audulus and zMors Modular?). Both of these can access all inputs and outputs of the ES-8 in standalone mode, but when running as IAA in conjunction with AUM you're limited to 2 in and 2 out (for Audulus, not sure on zMors, but I think it's the same). That might be enough control if you're planning on using the other IO for regular audio; but could be limiting for crazy modulation.

Of course you can run any audio output and at slow rates get CV-ish actions (I think auGENx would be great here), but most audio apps don't go to the super-slow LFO rates (maybe 10Hz if you're lucky) and you're probably not going to be able to generate one-shot events like envelopes. Moreover, there isn't a great way to sequence those audio signals.

(now would be a great time to suggest that a Dev might want to create an AUv3 MIDI<>CV converter; a Silent Way for iOS....)

The FH-2 is a MIDI to CV converter. The obvious advantage is that you can use whatever MIDI outputting app you want. The downside is timing and resolution of MIDI. But, if you're sending 14bit controls and turn on smoothing in the FH-2 it should be good enough for most cases.

I've been considering both, but I think I'm leaning towards the FH-2 and then just using a generic class compliment audio interface for normal audio.

I have been considering on selling my mpc live and either buying modules for that extra voice or now have been considering digitakt also. Selling pico drums and using dfam more as a synth or sell it also and get some other semi modular or modules for that 4th voice. If you got some ideas for what to get, let me know :)

Ha! Modular is far too personal - I wouldn't presume to know what would be good for you, especially since I'm less interested in multiple voices and more in weird sounds and weird controls. For me, I would have foundational sounds (drums, pads, etc.) coming from the iPad and then have weirder stuff from the modular.

Btw i figured that you can replace amp envelope and VCA modules with the ivcs3 envelope AU module triggered via midi. Pretty cool trick for another voice when you dont have all the modules for another voice. Combine some AU filter and you could basically get away with VCO alone for a simple synth voice. Or run the same signal thru multiple FX lanes, use wavefolders etc and get a lot more complex voice from a single VCO.

Yeah, this is why I'm really curious to see how things could be integrated between modular and iOS. There's so much cool stuff that can be done.

I have been thinking hard on using ios more in my workflow(than just basically fxs, mixer and recorder), but have figured i want to minimize any sort of fiddling with the screen. I want to have just AUM open all the time and not have to switch apps all the time. Second ipad would be pretty sweet tho. Connected with es-8 module to rack and rack sending audio to Aum on another ipad.

Personally im not a big fan of modstep. Its just too fiddly somehow, especially with it not having an undo button and having to menu dive every time you want to undo something. But i know some people love it, so.. If i were to use ipad more in my workflow, i would use beatmaker 3.

Yeah modstep can be fiddly, but I'm thinking of using it mainly for how quick it is to draw modulation curves and then triggering those in sets either looping or one-shots. Having all that MIDI modulation converted to CV by the FH-2 would be sweet; the corollary to the adage "you can never have too many VCAs" is "you can never have too many modulation sources to control those VCAs!"