Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Layr is amazing!

I’ve been distracted by other synths and noisemakers lately but just opened up Layr again to play around about an hour ago... man this thing is incredible! And shout out to @brice for some amazing sound design, loving the cine fx and weirder sounds; something often lacking in most preset banks.

When last have you opened Layr?

Comments

• Agreed! I don’t use it enough. It’s tier one class on iOS. The developer is still working on improving it even further as well.

• It is my mosed used synth, love it, and the constant updates/improvements to it too. As LayR became the trigger for me to finally get Syntorial I have learnt so much about synthesis and sound design. Not anywhere near what Brice does, but still, and doing it in LayR is so grateful as I can concentrate on one specific part of a complex sound in isoloation, and worry about the other parts later. Amazing piece of software.

• I wonder how many people have used Layr in their music? I’m going to make a serious effort to use it in something.

• @hellqust;
    I got Syntorial too!

• Top notch Synth!

• Was using LayR in NS2 just this morning after not having used in a while. Unfortunately it crashed on me a few times so I gave up. But it's great!

• Yeah it is not so good in NS2. Think it needs to show parameters so you can map them to the macros in NS2 but i havent found out how.

• @Halftone said:
    Was using LayR in NS2 just this morning after not having used in a while. Unfortunately it crashed on me a few times so I gave up. But it's great!

My experience too. Very crashy so had to table it.

• Doh. Well that answers that unasked question.

• @realdawei said:

@Halftone said:
    Was using LayR in NS2 just this morning after not having used in a while. Unfortunately it crashed on me a few times so I gave up. But it's great!

Hmm, I shall have to try it in NS2, now that I appear to have bought NS2 in the latest sale, but haven't used it much. As for LayR crashing, is it only in NS2? Or can you make it crash elsewhere? I'm asking as I normally use it in AUM/Auria/AB/Cubasis, and I can't recall any crashes. If you have a sure-fire way of making it crash though I'm sure the developer would like to hear about it.

• Seems more crash-y in NS2 than most other hosts I've tried

• LayR is the bomb!

• Layr sounds stunning but it played up too many times as an auv in GarageBand for me to carry on with it. Hope it can be fixed.

• @hellquist said:

@realdawei said:

@Halftone said:

Hmm, I shall have to try it in NS2, now that I appear to have bought NS2 in the latest sale, but haven't used it much. As for LayR crashing, is it only in NS2? Or can you make it crash elsewhere? I'm asking as I normally use it in AUM/Auria/AB/Cubasis, and I can't recall any crashes. If you have a sure-fire way of making it crash though I'm sure the developer would like to hear about it.

I mainly use GarageBand. I don’t recall ever getting through a single session without LayR crashing. It’s just about guaranteed.

• edited February 2019

@LivingMemorySoftware tagging you as FYI. You’re getting some love and some bug reports while we’re at it! 🙂

• @gusgranite said:
    @LivingMemorySoftware tagging you as FYI. You’re getting some love and some bug reports while we’re at it! 🙂

Sadly can add to the AU crash worry.

• I also love Layr by itself and in AUM or AB. Seems pretty stable each way in my experience. All the “big” synths give me problems in iOS’s DAWs so I haven’t even tried Layr there. Strangely, I’d rather record than crash. ;)

• Crashy McCrashy.

I still love it.

• edited February 2019

Hello, just had this thread pointed out to me... thanks for the comments, nice to get some LayR love

and for the ones experiencing the crash ... this is a known issue and there is a workaround for the moment.

It's now fixed and along with a couple of new features is being tested for release very soon.
    There is a vector in LayR's engine that isn't being reset to the correct length when using buffer sizes of 1024, so using a smaller buffer will fix the crash. The real fix will be out soon!

This also explains why some users see it all the time and others never see it.

... and please, a little plea for help ... bugs get fixed much quicker if I know about them, I don't inhabit forums, I simply don't have the time to read everything and important comments can easilly be buried, so writing to me at [email protected] gets much quicker results :)

Thanks! :smile:

• edited February 2019

cheers! see above

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:
    Hello, just had this thread pointed out to me... thanks for the comments, nice to get some LayR love

and for the ones experiencing the crash ... this is a known issue and there is a workaround for the moment.

It's now fixed and along with a couple of new features is being tested for release very soon.
    There is a vector in LayR's engine that isn't being reset to the correct length when using buffer sizes of 1024, so using a smaller buffer will fix the crash. The real fix will be out soon!

... and please, a little plea for help ... bugs get fixed much quicker if I know about them, I don't inhabit forums, I simply don't have the time to read everything and important comments can easilly be buried, so writing to me at support@livingmemorysoftware gets much quicker results :)

FYI, there are currently no other known issues with LayR, so if using a smaller buffer doesn't cure the problem, please let me know and tell me how to make it crash. I will prioritise getting the next update out very soon ...

• I always keep LayR at 512 resolution so I do t remember getting any crashes. Works like a dream I’m AB3 and Stagelight.

@LivingMemorySoftware said:

... and please, a little plea for help ... bugs get fixed much quicker if I know about them, I don't inhabit forums, I simply don't have the time to read everything and important comments can easilly be buried, so writing to me at support@livingmemorysoftware gets much quicker results :)

FYI, there are currently no other known issues with LayR, so if using a smaller buffer doesn't cure the problem, please let me know and tell me how to make it crash. I will prioritise getting the next update out very soon ...

when it crashed on me yesterday in NS2 I was using at 256 - I'll try again when the update releases and see what happens.

• @Keenan said:
    I wonder how many people have used Layr in their music? I’m going to make a serious effort to use it in something.

I manage to squeeze something in from LayR on almost every track I do. It’s bread and butter to me (as well as raspberry jam). Featured on this track - doing the opening arp with Animoog - also provides the bass and misc pads.

One thing I often do once I get stuck into tracking is run LayR as a multi timbral synth across four channels in AUM - never goes beyond 30+% dap no matter how hard I drive it. As a Pad synth it is unrivalled.

• I would love to see a sort of starring system in this gem to remember the presets I like. I always forget Brice’s amazing presets that I love to use. But all (!!!) of the factory presets are incredible. Layr woopwoop 💪🏼

• @david_2017 said:
    I would love to see a sort of starring system in this gem to remember the presets I like. I always forget Brice’s amazing presets that I love to use. But all (!!!) of the factory presets are incredible. Layr woopwoop 💪🏼

On that note though (which I too would say is a great suggestion) one thing I do love in LayR and a few other apps that do it: the patch creator can leave a little comment on what to expect. I love reading the little hints/descriptions from @brice on what to expect from the preset/performance and also how to get the most out of it. I wish more synths had that.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but another thing I totally love in LayR is that the pitch-bend only affects the keys that are held down, not the keys that are sustained or otherwise sounding (perhaps via the gloriously long envelopes/delays etc). This means I can take a chord, let it ring, and still play my lead with full pitch-bend control, without pitch-bending the notes from the ringing chord, unlike in most other synths.

• @ageezz said:

@Keenan said:
    I wonder how many people have used Layr in their music? I’m going to make a serious effort to use it in something.

I manage to squeeze something in from LayR on almost every track I do. It’s bread and butter to me (as well as raspberry jam). Featured on this track - doing the opening arp with Animoog - also provides the bass and misc pads.

One thing I often do once I get stuck into tracking is run LayR as a multi timbral synth across four channels in AUM - never goes beyond 30+% dap no matter how hard I drive it. As a Pad synth it is unrivalled.

These tracks are awesome man, subscribed And liked!
    Do you have an ig ???

• I love layr tho, it really shows what a great dev can do with iOS... Im not that good at creating patches with it at all, but I'm not that great of a sound designer period lol...and I wish there was some good videos explaining how to really use the arp / sequencer, because that thing is mighty powerful! But the synth is a great instrument and worth every penny, it pushes the limits of iOS and shows that iOS is to be taken serious... I've never had it crash in AUM or ab3 that's really all I use these days

@LivingMemorySoftware said:

Thanks for visiting us here and giving us the tips!

• I never heard whether Layr sorted out its crashes and popping noises. I have held off buying it, but it “sounds” and looks like a very nice approach to build complex, changing pads.