Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SpaceCraft Granular Synth update

This update is for people who’d love more MPE in their daily app diets :)

SpaceCraft Granular Synth by Mark Watt https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spacecraft-granular-synth/id1391256308?mt=8

Comments

• Will this work with KB-1?

• @Keenan on the app store version of KB1 there are large cpu spikes when using with SC. However, I've been working with Kai on this and he has fixed it (in KB1 beta), so you might want to wait until the next KB1 update is out before using it for anything critical.

• edited February 2019

I didn’t get SG before as it wasn’t playable, but now it appears that it is, so I may have no excuse! How does it compare with Quanta (which I really like)? Does it offer anything you can’t do with Quanta?

• This sounds like a "Game Changer" for quick loading of instruments for me. I loaded a Cello note and got some quick and gorgeous string sounds in a few seconds. Just digging through wave samples and looking for something interesting could become a way to kick start a lot of new tracks for acoustic and ambient projects.

Adding some ADSR settings would make this use case even more compelling. The attacks are gentle to slow... not really a biting sound. Any clues how that might be addressed... maybe with another FX App for an envelope?

• @McD not sure if I understood what you were after but you could try setting the grain panel crosshairs top right and the envelope crosshairs bottom left with maybe a little release. Then you can play fast via midi if you wish.

• Hi @deltaVaudio
    Can you tell exactly which controllers SC is expecting for MPE?
    In the update text there's this: "MPE Pitch": X-axis = pitch bend, Y-axis = fine grain position modulation, Z-axis = volume

X-Axis = pitch bend?
    Y-Axis = CC1? CC74?
    Z-Axis = channel pressure?

I'm using a KMI QuNexus; it's not officially an MPE controller as it only sends two controls per note (tilt and pressure), but with channel rotation it should mostly work.

I can get get the pitch bend per note working either controlling pitch or grain position depending on the MPE Pitch / MPE Grain setting, but I can't get the other controls to do anything. Knowing what SC is expecting would help.

Ideally, we could map any control we wanted to the various MPE controls....

Also, I don't see the MIDI CC control list on your website as mentioned in the update notes.

Thanks!

• @deltaVaudio said:
    @McD not sure if I understood what you were after but you could try setting the grain panel crosshairs top right and the envelope crosshairs bottom left with maybe a little release. Then you can play fast via midi if you wish.

Yes. That's what I was missing... the little envelope box on the lower left in the GUI.

I do however want more Decay after a fast attack to make a popping sound like a marimba.

I might have an app that will provide more of a "pop" with the attacks. Maybe "FAC Transient"... If anyone has advice I'm listening. "Objec" maybe?

That combination would make this the type of sound design app I just love... twiddle a few crosshair controls and find a really useful percussive instrument like marimbas made from glass, plastic or mailing tubes.

Mark, you're GUI is genius and these new MIDI features are amazing. I haven't even touched the MPE stuff yet and I'm already totally excited by the potential to dial in something cool, Running 2-3 of these with MIDI Genarators should produce some unique results fast. This is way beyond Granular now. I can sequence faster patterns with clarity. I'm sure this has been there for months and I didn't complain with the right terms.

• @aplourde

y axis is cc74.

Z axis is channel pressure but if I recall correctly it also listens to channel afterthouch just incase the device doesn't use channel pressure. Do you have per note volume contol using the qunexus?

I'm afraid it's not possible to allow that user to map any contol to an axis as none of the other controls of SC can work polyphonically. For example there is just one grain Freq parameter and changing it on one note would apply that to all notes. This would cause things to jump around erratically as you play different notes. However if you get your controller to send a different cc for any axis you can map this to any parameter you like and side step this. It just won't be part of the MPE algorithm so you are in uncharted territory ;)

Sorry about the missing website info I was supposed to do that after release but I got distracted by an issue and completely forgot the website !!

• Good point about envelopes - I can’t see any envelope control?

• @PhilW you can now enable the envelope in settings on the notes panel. It will appear just to the left of the notes grid as before but now you can use it also just with the touch screen and scales

• @deltaVaudio

I’m interested in the two factory audio files in SpaceCraft. How did you choose the sounds? How were they created/recorded? Why are they both exactly 2:01.904 mins in length? :)

• edited February 2019

@deltaVaudio said:

@PhilW you can now enable the envelope in settings on the notes panel. It will appear just to the left of the notes grid as before but now you can use it also just with the touch screen and scales

Ok, thanks.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    @aplourde

y axis is cc74.

Great! I thought I had tried that and couldn't get it to work, but now I'm verifying that it is working.

Z axis is channel pressure but if I recall correctly it also listens to channel afterthouch just incase the device doesn't use channel pressure. Do you have per note volume contol using the qunexus?

In addition to note-on velocity, the QuNexus can respond to two other controls: finger pressure and finger tilt.

These sensor readings can be mapped to any MIDI control and with channel rotation enabled you get rudimentary MPE. Not as nice as other controllers as I only have three controls instead of the five from a Roli or Linnstrument, but still very cool.

I'm afraid it's not possible to allow that user to map any contol to an axis as none of the other controls of SC can work polyphonically. For example there is just one grain Freq parameter and changing it on one note would apply that to all notes. This would cause things to jump around erratically as you play different notes. However if you get your controller to send a different cc for any axis you can map this to any parameter you like and side step this. It just won't be part of the MPE algorithm so you are in uncharted territory ;)

Understood.

In MPE Pitch mode, X-axis = pitch bend, Y-axis = fine grain position modulation, Z-axis = volume
    In MPE Grain mode is it just: X-axis = grain position and Z-axis = volume?
    Y Axis doesn't seem to be matched to anything. Any chance of mapping that to pitch? I prefer the larger scale grain position control of MPE Grain, but some pitch variation would be nice too!

Sorry about the missing website info I was supposed to do that after release but I got distracted by an issue and completely forgot the website !!

Thanks!

• Man the seaboard block and spacecraft combo is so great, I get lost for hours! Great update!

• Wonderful update, thanks for your hard work!

— CC 6 thru CC 41 = all parameters (XY controls + ‘actions’ such as record and monitor), see website for details

I'd like to make a MIDI CC cheat sheet, but can't find the CC mappings at https://www.deltavaudio.com/about

• A cc midi map would be excellent

• Oh man!!! Sweet!!!

• Ah, cool. There’s info about the included audio samples too. Hadn’t spotted that before.

• @reasOne thanks mate, really glad you dig it

• @deltaVaudio Hello! thank you for your awesome app!
    i've noticed a bug.
    I can't record automation in Cubasis for seq0_mainpanelX and Y. other parameters are recording fine as well as seq1_mainpanelX and Y.

• @chalice said:
    @deltaVaudio Hello! thank you for your awesome app!
    i've noticed a bug.
    I can't record automation in Cubasis for seq0_mainpanelX and Y. other parameters are recording fine as well as seq1_mainpanelX and Y.

well, thats an interesting find.. we haven’t been able to automate the seq x/y in cubasis from the start, ( only the grain and filter/reverb xy’s ) apparently this will be fixed at the Steinberg end for the next cubasis update.. but I never tried the second instance in spacecraft!! you have stumbled upon a nice workaround for the present...
    though i guess some of the other parameters in the second instance will not be automatable maybe?? must just check that...

• @RockySmalls said:

@chalice said:
    @deltaVaudio Hello! thank you for your awesome app!
    i've noticed a bug.

well, thats an interesting find.. we haven’t been able to automate the seq x/y in cubasis from the start, ( only the grain and filter/reverb xy’s ) apparently this will be fixed at the Steinberg end for the next cubasis update.. but I never tried the second instance in spacecraft!! you have stumbled upon a nice workaround for the present...
    though i guess some of the other parameters in the second instance will not be automatable maybe?? must just check that...

interesting!! the main panel , grain and filt/rev all will automate on the second instance of spacecraft.. only the lfo and pitch is missing... this is actually quite a lot more useful than previously, i was using midi cc 14 controlled by rozetta xy to get control of the main panel X parameter.. using the other panel and au automating is much more convenient .. good find @chalice :)
    looking forward to a cubasis update when everything might be automatable easily..

• @chalice @RockySmalls I can confirm that the current app store version of SC + plus the current beta of cubasis allows full parameter automation :)

• I’m gonna need a lite version soon 😄

• Hi @deltaVaudio

Thanks so much for the update! This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for.

Now, I’m very,very pleased to confirm that you can record your SpaceCraft UI gestures/automation etc straight into NanoStudio2’s timeline for more detailed tweaking/playback.

Previously you could only do this by using the NS2 performance knobs/XY pad. But now the actual SpaceCraft UI controls seem to be properly mapped (once you map them to NS2’s macros) so that any move you make is recorded as NS2 instrument automation.

This is fantastic! Whoop whoop.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I've been in contact with the NS2 Dev and he said he has also fixed the macro automapping. Will be in NS2 BETA soon I think

• Still loving this app. I did a track last night, 90% Spacecraft, 10% Aparillo, recorded live in AUM. Just drifts along in a bumbling cosmic soup, but I had loads of fun doing it:

• @MonzoPro said:
    Still loving this app. I did a track last night, 90% Spacecraft, 10% Aparillo, recorded live in AUM. Just drifts along in a bumbling cosmic soup, but I had loads of fun doing it:

This is good work!

• I'd like to write the libretto for this.