Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How spoiled we are (and like it)

After viewing this forum the last couple of weeks I eventually decided to join!
About 24 years ago I started with an Amiga 500 (Protracker) and an 8-bit sampling cartridge.
After a while I decided to purchase some “real” synth/sampling stuff which eventually lead to the well known gear acquisition syndrome. I’ve had lots of different synths, samplers and sequencers, Moog Prodigy, Juno series (106, Alpha 1), MS10, MPC60, MPC2000XL, Z4, Waldorf Pulse+, Wave to just name a few. Because of my work that days and the fact that i’m more a knob fiddler than a musician I sold everything (also hated the wiring of the stuff!) Seeing the recent prices for some analog gear, I sold it way tooo early.

But then there were some apps for the iPad, downloaded some a few years ago but still...it did not gave me the pleasure of fiddling/jamming with my old hardware.
About four weeks ago I discovered the (for me) quite recent development of AudioUnits and the availability of some truly great apps. I bought a Nanokontrol studio which allows me to fiddle all night long! We are spoiled, we can have different synth and drumcomputer emulations for a fraction of the price and most of them run pretty nice in the different DAW’s. No need for rewiring, just plug in and play and even save presets. I truly appreciate the power I have in my hands right now. A full size (hobby/fun) studio that fits in a bag or on your lap, think about that!

Comments

• Hurrah for anything that enables fiddling all night long!

• its not really spoiled, this is just the evolution of things. its all relative really. to those who never had to deal with hardware sequencers or amiga trackers This is just reality and it still needs to improve and will. not trying to say youre wrong or argue but its a counterpoint that is important. in five to ten years there will be something else and beyond that another thing. soon this tech will be obsolete and replaced.

• Yes, in general, it seems people are spoiled in many ways that produce unrealistic expectations, lack of patience, and prevent them from being as happy as they could be. Maybe some people just like being miserable. :)

I also started years ago with synths before even MIDI, and then with an Amiga doing some MIDI sequencing that at the time seemed pretty amazing. My home studio looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory, and the cost was big. I had to be very selective with equipment. I never thought I was working in the dark ages or waiting helplessly for better things to come along. What we have today is, if anything, too much. Who has time to even keep track of all that’s available and what is possible while at the same time making music, which is the point of it all? There will be more, there will be better. It doesn’t exist today, so it’s irrelevant.

• edited February 2019

It is amazing being able to pack so much into such a small device.
    I just counted, and not including any daw or groove box apps like gadget, kew, GB, but just in stand alone synth apps, I have 47 on my iPad right now....47! If you put in all the stuff inside gadget, groove box, kew, ns2, auxy, caustic, etc... It's well over 100.
    Now sequencers and other midi controllers... Effects, daws, drum machines, presets... Everything.. We are hitting in the 300 range of things to mess with...
    There is so much packed in an iPad / iPhone,... Or even yore laptop.. It's crazy..
    I've had a lot of gear, but never 42 stand alone synths and over 50 effects at once haha not even close, and I've spent waaaaaaaay less and had so much fun..
    IOS is sick!
    Things still need to improve, but hey, I'm living in the moment with what we do have as well! The future is the future, we'll see when we get there

• Whoot! Amiga! Whoot2!

• Welcome @Bietfriek. Glad to see your story and your sense of awe about what's now possible. You're in good company here.

• I remember being amazed with Korg DS-10 not so long ago.
    I was like, ‘This is all I need!’
    :D

• @syrupcore said:
    Hurrah for anything that enables fiddling all night long!

You’re right, this thread does need an upbeat anthem!

• Welcome @Bietfriek, welcome! The thing that is most spoiling is this forum. Ironic that @Michael created a connectivity app and then created a great connectivity forum.