Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB Midi Recommendations Please

Hello,
I need some suggestions for a USB to midi cable to connect my MPC Live to an iPad mini 4.

I have used a bluetooth midi device until now, but I am having latency issues that I hope a direct USB connection will fix.

I want to go from Midi Out of MPC Live to USB in of iPad with Camera Conmection Kit.

There are many cheap cables on Amazon, but wondering if anyone here as direct expwrience with a certain brand or make.

Sadly my interface does not have midi.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• An usb to Midi Adapter with CCK will work perfectly

• wimwim
    edited February 2019

Are you sure your latency problems aren’t caused by something else other than Bluetooth? You really shouldn’t have noticeable latency with Bluetooth midi. Then again maybe it’s just a crummy Bluetooth device.

• @panthera said:
    An USB to Midi Adapter with CCK will work perfectly

Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone has used a specific one or if they are all the same?

@wim said:
    Are you sure your latency problems aren’t caused by something else other than Bluetooth? You really shouldn’t have noticeable latency with Bluetooth midi. Then again maybe it’s just a crummy Bluetooth device.

I thought that as well, but when I ran a test seems that the signal is off by almost a 16th note. I am using a MI.1 which is a fairly well-reviewed product and seems like it is good quality.

In the screenshot below the MonoStation and the Circuit are connected via midi cables, and the iPad is Bluetooth. All 4 tracks are going into the same interface via physical inputs so each channel should have the same latency from the interface.

Wonder if I can tighten this midi up?

• edited February 2019

I also can confirm a high latency with my mi.1. When using USB MIDI it works much better, but there is still a high audio latency from my iPad (14ms). In compare USB is about 10ms faster than my mi.1

I’ve measured this (of course this includes the audio latency of the iPad (128 samples) + the computer audio interface (RME):

Overall latency with m1. = 24ms
    Overall latency with USB = 14ms

Maybe there are better bluetooth adapters (Yamaha doesn’t fit in my case)? Tough I’m also not satisfied with the overall audio latency of my iPad (Air 2, iOS 12.1.4, 128 samples).

Do you get better results than 14ms?

• This seems like audio latency, not midi latency.

Anyways those cheap midi to usb dongles tend to be hit or miss. I bought a few of them once since they only costed 50c each. One works properly, one was glitching like crazy and one maybe got stuck notes bit more than should had, but works ok.

Have you thought about getting an audio interface with midi ports? That would be the most rock solid option

• @ToMess said:
    This seems like audio latency, not midi latency.

Did you read my post? The mi.1 has definitely (MIDI) latency, at least 10ms,

• ditch the bluetooth , go everything cable , works best.

• I like the stuff I get from Adafruit, but with shipping it may not be the cheapest, they offer this CCK for $17 and a bunch of other ‘tronic cables & widgets.
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3940

• Don’t get the cheap $5 USB to MIDI cables from Amazon. I only tried 2 of them, but they both were what I would call unusable. Really bad levels of stuck MIDI notes, also one of them on 2 of very low notes of an 88 key controller was playing a collection of notes by pressing one...

I’ve used an M-Audio Uno and it was great for some time, but in the past year or so I’ve been getting bad stuck notes with it while playing Hammond Organ style (so lots of dragging hands across the keys). It’s been working fine sending MIDI to my 3 Volcas though.

IRig MIDI 2 is actually a pretty solid piece of MIDI to USB, and you can even just go straight to lightning and skip the CCK. Some of the units, including mine, will just randomly disconnect while in use though. So, say during a 4 hour gig I could expect it to disconnect at least once. Unplugging and plugging back in fixes it quickly though. It is otherwise very solid. Good latency and I’ve never had a single stuck note from it.

• Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Even though I know it would be a better option to get an interface with Midi, I just bought my Soundcraft MTK12 a few months ago so don't anticipate affording a new interface soon.

@h_vel How do you measure your midi? Is there an app you run that gives you that info or are you "mathing it" :)

@DMan Thanks for the tip on the iRig. I will see if I can find one to try.

@ashen_hand Thanks for the link. I will take a look at those as well.