Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SKRAM - Electronic Music Maker - Revisited

Remembering SKRAM, which still works on iOS 12 but hasn't had an update for two years, which is a real shame because this had real potential.

Anyway, you can grab the basic version for Free to have a play with.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/skram-electronic-music-maker/id1085836793?mt=8

Comments

• Thanks Doug. This is great- for some reason when I first had this I did not like it at all. After your video I downloaded it again and this time I have taken a shine to it straight away- I’m not really sure why this has happened- but it has!- I’m just about to get the IAP’s.

btw Doug- has the ‘game changer’ you spoke about a good while back been released yet? Which one was it? Or is there any news?
    Cheers

• This is def. one of the 'it's a damn pity' apps that can only make me think that there's really not enough money in this pool for a lot of devs to keep on with stuff, which, in turn, makes me all the more grateful for the devs that do.....

• I had issues with it recording and audio cutting out iirc. Needed a few essential tweaks but definitely had potential. I gave them great simple suggestions.

• I also wished that that was an octave option, always felt that I wanted to go lower on a lot of the bass lines or melodies, but limited to no dice....

• It’s definitely worth a whirl- it’s only £1.99 for all the in app purchases- so that is the total price. The knobs twiddle smoothly with the Propellerhead type touch and drag assistance- it also has the whirly wheel things (that you have in Figure) so you can change your groove in an instant.
    It is easy- but has instructions anyway. It has Link (tap the bpm to access it). It sounds to me are very useable- and they go great with effects. If you like to have a nice groove going in AUM (I don’t think it is Audiobus compatible) with a handful of synth sequencers- or you are making clips to launch- this will definitely not be out of place- I have recorded a few bits and no issues have come up. It is also very quick to get a groove going.
    I like things easy and uncomplicated- and this is just that.
    This will definitely be getting more use than many other (and much more expensive) apps that I already have. It really is a touch of genius.
    Thanks again Doug!

• Didn’t all the feature requests send the dev running for the hills?

The devs had already Skramed when I first got on iOS, so I missed all that action.
    Anyway, I still bust out this app occasionally. It is one of the quickest, easiest funky loop makers.

• @CracklePot said:
    Didn’t all the feature requests send the dev running for the hills?

The devs had already Skramed when I first got on iOS, so I missed all that action.
    Anyway, I still bust out this app occasionally. It is one of the quickest, easiest funky loop makers.

Definitely. AND once I'd figured out the perfect looping in AUM it is/can be a good quick addition on a per track/as needed basis....

• @CracklePot I don’t think all the feature request would have a problem for these developers, I just think they gave up in the App.
    Their other App is LEMUR which is still active I think

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @CracklePot I don’t think all the feature request would have a problem for these developers, I just think they gave up in the App.
    Their other App is LEMUR which is still active I think

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about what happened.
    I just got the impression that there was a ton of excitement about Skram for a bit. Then it was abandoned. I thought maybe too much excitement had something to do with it.

• Nah.. Time is too valuable and limited for this now

• edited February 2019

Don’t quote me on this but, I think the dude behind Lemur and Skram got kidnapped by Korg. And he’s since worked on the Monologue and as lead dev on the Prologue, very likely the Minilogue XD as well.

• edited February 2019

@ChrisG said:
    Don’t quote me on this but, I think the dude behind Lemur and Skram got kidnapped by Korg. And he’s since worked on the Monologue and as lead dev on the Prologue, very likely the Minilogue XD as well.

yes Etienne Noreau Herbert took over as chief of analog synths when Takahashi left.

*edit, i should say when Takahashi stepped down not left.

• edited July 2021

Is there another app with the type of sequencing that Skarm had? It had one round selctor and a vertical set of bars. By altering the two you could get some really interesting synth patterns going.

• Just reminiscing. Miss this one, too.

• edited July 2021

I think @cem_olcay should take his wizardry and love of sequencers and clone the hell out of Skram's sequencer!

Or

@cp3 the creator of the brilliant Cykle sequencer!

I'd pay $10 for it, maybe more.

• @Simon said:
    Is there another app with the type of sequencing that Skarm had? It had one round selctor and a vertical set of bars. By altering the two you could get some really interesting synth patterns going.

You probably already know this one, Figure https://apps.apple.com/us/app/figure-make-music-beats/id511269223

• @Littlewoodg said:
    You probably already know this one, Figure https://apps.apple.com/us/app/figure-make-music-beats/id511269223

Thanks for that. Yes, I know Figure. Cool app but doesn't have a step sequencer - Skram had a unique sequencer where you could turn on "odd numbered" steps. Maybe StepBud or another Cem app might have to do

• edited July 2021

@Simon said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks for that. Yes, I know Figure. Cool app but doesn't have a step sequencer - Skram had a unique sequencer where you could turn on "odd numbered" steps. Maybe StepBud or another Cem app might have to do

Yep, the Skram sequencer is neat.

It’s true, Figure is performance-only, with the odd numbered steps (and ties, just found those) that determine where live note entry can happen. It’s an on-the-fly version of the pleasures of polyrhythm