Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording an Audio book.

edited February 2019 in Other

This from a PM by a good friend . What would your advice be ?

still thinking about doing the audio book myself, but wondering about the most streamlined set up . . . it would be just my one vocal mic, and added atmosohere and samples and sound effects . . . garageband maybe . . . ?   . . it's really a five hour play, and I want to use the Eno app "Scape" and some verious samples and background atmosphere stuff like the low rumble of a roomful of people talking, traffic, sirens, etc like a radio play . . .

Comments

• iOS or PC or Mac ?

Audacity is a great free software for Windows and Mac
    https://www.audacityteam.org/

• 1st things first: does your friend have experience as a speaker/narrator ?
    It's much more demanding than singing a song - as is the recording itself.
    Sound pressure is much lower, background noise becomes more evident.
    The room response is important, too.

From the software side I see no problems:
    Ferrite can handle the file length, supports multiple tracks with dedicated AU fx automation tracks.
    Cut/edit is about the most convenient on IOS (imho), it features chapter markers and can even include graphics by html expressions inserted on the timeline.

„Ferrite“ by Wooji Juice Ltd
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ferrite/id1018780185?mt=8

• Thanks @robosardine
    @Telefunky : Oh yeah this dude is a phenomenal musician and has been singing and doing spoken word for years .
    @ecou : He’s Mac plus iOS.

• @Telstar5 then it's all good and he can just try out Ferrite for free.
    It's limited to 3 or 4 tracks and about 1 minute of audio iirc, but it looks like lots of things changed with version 2 (which I don't have)

• Ok @telefunky, will do and thanks again. I’m thinking just telling him to get Auria Pro

• I honestly wouldn't dare a 5 hour project in Auria Pro... ;)
    (Ferrite is specialized on such stuff)

• Hmmm.. Interesting

• Interesting topic, I've thought about engineering an audiobook. The effects and atmospheres sound cool. The bulk of the work, other than the narration itself (huge commitment!) is in the editing. You need a DAW with good comping tools, and keyboard shortcuts for editing operations. Lots of splicing, and it would be critical to keep a good pace for the work, and not have to tweez every edit. Boom boom boom.

I don't know if there is a special daw made for narration, but I would use logic. Maybe when there is a goof, read along and punch in with a footswitch or key command, or something, rather than messing with setting up the auto punch every time.

There are lots of good guides, especially for the performance, things like listening to the end of the previous days work when you are getting started. Also, at the end of a chapter, going back and re-reading the first couple paragraphs of the beginning, because it makes the speech quality more consistent- it changes after you have been speaking for a couple minutes.

Izotope RX could be a great help, the declicker works well for mouth noises, without having to zoom in and draw each one out.

Might try out a couple mics. I’ve always used the 414, but I have a couple friends that work doing voice overs/narration, and they like the dynamic mics- SM7, or one woman I know got her preferred sound with a 58 and a pop screen, despite more expensive mics being around.

If you haven’t stopped reading, I’d do compression on the narration to keep the level consistent, maybe something like 4:1, with auto-release, where the voice is getting a few dB knocked off on the reduction meter regularly. Then a brick wall limiter on the output (with a medium fast release, like 20-50ms), after the sound effects get mixed in, like regular mastering, to get the level up.

• edited February 2019

Good hints and if the user is familiar with Logic, that's a natural choice on Mac of course.
    But imho Ferrite is more focussed on that specific task, avoiding DAW screen clutter.
    The touch interface for cut/edit responds much (!) better than Auria imho and there's less eyestrain from DAW clutter. Even customizable keyboard shortcuts are available.
    Ferrite's approach to data management is quite different from most DAW's - it's target is in the hour time domain, not minutes.
    https://www.wooji-juice.com/products/ferrite/in-depth

For the audio impression of the voice FAC Maxima (which supports AU) would be my tool of choice (instead of a compressor/limiter combo).
    With moderate settings it will simply deliver a more 'present' voice without changing it's character much.
    (depends on voice of course - compressed signals can get fatiguing over time, while the other approach may turn to boredom) o:)

• I use Ferrite to edit podcasts. It’s a fantastic app.

• @tepefunky: Thanks SO much.. Ferrite it is... I didn’t even know about this previously..It’s perfect, really.Much appreciated.