Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Sweet - they are both free as well. CuSnP is a sympathetic string resonator. and LRC5 is a 5 band EQ.

• edited February 2019

I can’t see them in AUM in the AU list 😢

Edit: Yes I can in the Effects list 🤪

• edited February 2019

Pinch to adjust Q ?
    It is about as accurate as throwing an open tin of paint at a canvas to paint a portrait.
    They should rethink that.
    The UI just disappears after a few adjustments in BM3, is this a demo version ?

Yeah this is a crash playground

CuSnp is nice, seems less crashy, but again the UI is poor, I think the developer has a 21" iPad.

• @Turntablist said:
    Pinch to adjust Q ?
    It is about as accurate as throwing an open tin of paint at a canvas to paint a portrait.
    They should rethink that.
    The UI just disappears after a few adjustments in BM3, is this a demo version ?

Yeah this is a crash playground

CuSnp is nice, seems less crashy, but again the UI is poor, I think the developer has a 21" iPad.

Seeing crashes in AUM. Mainly when I have multiple bands selected and try adjusting their values.

• I’m getting some strange panning on some of the presets that I can't seem to affect on CuSnP. Anyone else have this?

• woo that string resonator is is pretty fun

• Yes indeed. That string resonator is quite good. Top marks to the developer.
    Thanks for the heads up on this.
    I have been running KQ Dixie through this (using the CuSnP “C 12TET” setting) and lost track of time. I love these types of tools :)

• @rezidue said:

[...]

Seeing crashes in AUM. Mainly when I have multiple bands selected and try adjusting their values.

Hi, I'm the developer of this AU. I'm working on debugging it now that I've seen this. I was able to get it to crash a couple of times with multiple controls selected, but I can't get it to do it consistently. And, now that I have a debugger attached to it, it won't crash at all. So, I was wondering if you had noticed anything in particular about how to make it crash.

I'd really like to get this fixed, so any help on how to repeat the crash would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

• Welcome @NeonSilicon! Good luck with the apps.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@rezidue said:

[...]

Hi, I'm the developer of this AU. I'm working on debugging it now that I've seen this. I was able to get it to crash a couple of times with multiple controls selected, but I can't get it to do it consistently. And, now that I have a debugger attached to it, it won't crash at all. So, I was wondering if you had noticed anything in particular about how to make it crash.

I'd really like to get this fixed, so any help on how to repeat the crash would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

@NeonSilicon Using CuSnP with BS-16 inside AUM I went from stereo to mono ? Is that meant to happen using this effect ?

• @Longskatedeath said:
    I’m getting some strange panning on some of the presets that I can't seem to affect on CuSnP. Anyone else have this?

Panning type things and panning warblie-ness can come from several different parameters working together. The first thing is how the host is interfacing to the AU, and it isn't always clear to me which choices are being made. The AU itself can work in mono-mono, mono-stereo, and stereo-stereo. In the stereo output case, what the host is doing varies. I'd like to be able to force mono-stereo when I'm personally using the AU as this would be more efficient, but hosts seem to want to map the mono input to a stereo channel before handing it to the AU. At least this is my general experience.

As far as the setting in the AU, the global Dry/Wet and Balance controls can interact with the strings to give some panning effects. The Rate and Sweep can then interact to add some dynamic interaction. After that, the string-by-string balance control will then place each string in the stereo field and this can cause further interactions.

Unless I've done something strange that I don't know about, there shouldn't be anything that the presets can do that can't be done with the controls on the AU. There isn't anything hidden under the hood. The factory presets only set the same parameters that are on the interface.

Hope that helps in some way.

• Thank you for the cool apps @NeonSilicon, good luck and welcome!

• [...]

@NeonSilicon Using CuSnP with BS-16 inside AUM I went from stereo to mono ? Is that meant to happen using this effect ?

This depends on the settings and how the host interfaces to the AU too. I use the AU in AUM also. I like to insert a bus on the instrument I'm using and then send this bus to CuSnP. That way, I can run effects on CuSnP and not alter the sound from the main channel. I think this is the best way to use the plugin in any host that allows for it.

• @NeonSilicon said:

[...]

This depends on the settings and how the host interfaces to the AU too. I use the AU in AUM also. I like to insert a bus on the instrument I'm using and then send this bus to CuSnP. That way, I can run effects on CuSnP and not alter the sound from the main channel. I think this is the best way to use the plugin in any host that allows for it.

Good tip.

• @NeonSilicon

Could you describe what coupling is on the string parameters?

• @CracklePot said:
    @NeonSilicon

Thinking of it in terms to an analogous physical system, it's like the strength of the coupling between the bridge of the played strings to the bridge for the resonant strings. Whereas the "sustain" parameter would be more like the mass of the body that the resonant strings were attached to.

In practice, the coupling is what fraction of the input sample is inserted into the delay line. The sustain is what fraction of the delayed sample is mixed back in with the incoming sample before it's put back on the delay line (after filtering and stuff).

• @NeonSilicon said:

@CracklePot said:
    @NeonSilicon

Thinking of it in terms to an analogous physical system, it's like the strength of the coupling between the bridge of the played strings to the bridge for the resonant strings. Whereas the "sustain" parameter would be more like the mass of the body that the resonant strings were attached to.

In practice, the coupling is what fraction of the input sample is inserted into the delay line. The sustain is what fraction of the delayed sample is mixed back in with the incoming sample before it's put back on the delay line (after filtering and stuff).

Thank you.
    Putting it in terms of delay parameters makes it easy to understand.
    :)

• CuSnP is great! Breathes new life and harmonics into some otherwise mundane synth sounds. Thank you @NeonSilicon. Nice work.

• I downloaded CuSnP and find it only plays thru the left channel on my phones and monitors. What am I doing wrong?

• So nobody else is getting the EQ crashing ?
    Crashes every host i tried.

• @Turntablist said:
    So nobody else is getting the EQ crashing ?
    Crashes every host i tried.

I have been able to get it to crash. I just can't get it to crash consistently. The times I have gotten it to crash, I was being pretty aggressive with my motions to the point of being fairly unnatural. So, it might not being showing up for people consistently. I don't think the host is important. I've been able to get it to crash in both Garageband and AUM.

The issue for me is that I haven't been able to get it to crash with a debugger attached. So, I can't narrow down where to look to get a fix for it. Any insights into specifics about how to crash it would be greatly appreciated. Also, info about what device you run it on might be helpful. I personally use it on an iPhone 6 and a first gen. iPad Pro. I haven't been able to recreate the crash in any simulator yet.

• Thanks for all the nice comments too! It feels great to know that people are getting some enjoyment from the AU.

• CuSnP is a really cool effect. I’m especially liking it on percussive sounds.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I downloaded CuSnP and find it only plays thru the left channel on my phones and monitors. What am I doing wrong?

Me too.

• w> @gusgranite said:

@LinearLineman said:
    I downloaded CuSnP and find it only plays thru the left channel on my phones and monitors. What am I doing wrong?

Same here . . . only one channel.

• @gusgranite said:

@LinearLineman said:

Me too.

What happens with the controls depends very much on the input-output configuration of the host. The balance controls behave differently in different situations. My guess as to what's happening is that the DAW/host is doing a stereo-to-stereo setup and there is only a mono input that is on channel 1/left-channel. So, the controls are all acting as balance controls (not pan) and since there is nothing on the right channel to excite the sympathetic strings on the right channel, there's no audio on the right channel (either dry or wet).

If you can configure the host to have a mono input, I think it would fix the situation.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@gusgranite said:

@LinearLineman said:

Me too.

What happens with the controls depends very much on the input-output configuration of the host. The balance controls behave differently in different situations. My guess as to what's happening is that the DAW/host is doing a stereo-to-stereo setup and there is only a mono input that is on channel 1/left-channel. So, the controls are all acting as balance controls (not pan) and since there is nothing on the right channel to excite the sympathetic strings on the right channel, there's no audio on the right channel (either dry or wet).

If you can configure the host to have a mono input, I think it would fix the situation.

@NeonSilicon How would you do that in AUM?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@NeonSilicon How would you do that in AUM?

I’ve done achieved it by having a bus send as an effect from the instrument, then having a Stereo-to-mono AUM effect in that bus channel as well as CuSnP:

• Thanks @NeonSilicon, I will try that.