Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi foot controllers. Ideas/hacks etc.

Comments

• edited February 2019

I’ve found it under Meloaudio brand, Midi commander (150 euros on Amazon).

https://meloaudio.com/blogs/news/what-is-midi-commander-overview

They have in their website a manual with more informations than HB-100 one:

Seems that two buttons on the right change PC banks:

For PC Bank mode, you can have 4, 5, 8 or 10 buttons assigned to PC, button position will determine PC number, and there can be some conflicts. I’m under the impression you’re forced to use PC for at least 4 or more buttons, for which you use banks change via right buttons. So perhaps that also means that CC mode buttons are limited to 4 or less buttons... I don’t use PC on iOS or Ableton, so I hope to be wrong.

• I've found a few videos and customers reviews. Seems to work with 8 CC assigned buttons (see second video). Buttons are a bit noisy I think.

Thomann said there is no Windows support, but this Midi Commander one has. Not sure there is any firmware difference, perhaps Thomann don't really know this product, hard to say.

https://www.amazon.com/MeloAudio-Commander-Multi-Effects-Portable-Controller/dp/B07DQPTZ1F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MeloAudio-MIDI-Commander-Guitar-Floor-Multi-Effects-Portable-USB-Foot-Controller-Foot-Switches/32889654102.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=iInMXqPi2n4

• Wow @Janosax great detective work.

It is a shame that the buttons on the right likely don’t fire any messages but that was to be expected. There are no other navigation buttons on the unit so there you are.

Other than that it seems like everything else is going for it!

Built quality

Size.

Button spacing seems only marginally less than Boss

The click is there but my zoom multieffect has the same switches and they’re fine

USB or 5 pin option.

There’s no other alternative in this price range and beyond. The only other option was Roland FC 200 until I had one and it was huge.

Someone in the Amazon review mentions inability to set it to send a specific value within a Cc number but I have a feeling ranges will be coming to AB3 soon and failing that there’s always audeonic apps.

I’m going to stick with it and try it in the flesh when it arrives. I can always send it back within the trial period.

Thanks for the research.

• Call me Sherlock :D

Yes range value in AB will be very soon the solution, already there in AUM, and Midifire allows for CC ramp up/down, round robin and much more... perhaps it's even possible to use it to modify what those right buttons are able to do.
    Also, a guy on Amazon had difficulties to midi learn it, saying there was no CC off, but I suppose he was just using toggle feature.

I agree with you, it looks pretty cool. I'll wait for your review, I already have the Blueboard so I don't need this one immediatly at all, I will order it on demand a bit later.

• So has your order been successful? Already shipped?

I’ve asked Thomann about when it will be in stock again, and they don’t know. They haven’t answered other questions, so I suppose they don’t know the product well.

I’m good to buy it on Amazon, still a good price but I’ll loose 27 euros.

• edited February 2019

It isn't looking good

_Dear customer,
    Thank you for your order. We hereby confirm receipt of payment for the order. . If all products in your order are currently in stock, your order will be shipped as quickly as possible.

As soon as your order leaves our warehouse, you will be notified per email.

Best regards

Your Thomann Team_

• _Dear customer,
    We know you are looking forward to receiving your delivery! We are delighted to inform you that your shipment has left our warehouse today.

Your shipment consists of one parcel_

The plot thickens

• @Janosax said:
    So has your order been successful? Already shipped?

I’ve asked Thomann about when it will be in stock again, and they don’t know. They haven’t answered other questions, so I suppose they don’t know the product well.

I’m good to buy it on Amazon, still a good price but I’ll loose 27 euros.

It looks like Thomann are done with that particular controller. I’d go for the midi commander portion. On Thomann website they don’t even say out of stock but simply ‘no longer available’.

I suspect they might show up in refurbished section after some of the buyer’s returns but who knows.

• edited February 2019

There’s also ActitioN foot controllers. They make both USB and DIN MIDI foot controllers with different sizes (number of switches from 4 up to 12) and material (metal, plastic). Class-compliant and includes expression pedal input. Has different modes for Program Change or MIDI CCs

The 6 button version is $59

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323669594615

8 button one is $119

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223370953325

12 buttons $149
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323683024390

• Yes @knobbage a couple of months ago I had an email exchange with the guy who makes them. He doesn’t do one yet that supports CC messages with a 5 pin midi connection. I’m maxed out on usb’s and really want it to have the regular midi sockets.

He said he might make some this year. Who knows.

• @knobbage thanks for that, super interested by 12 buttons one. On laptop USB is not a big deal, but on iOS it can works BT with PUC+

• edited February 2019

@Janosax said:
    @knobbage thanks for that, super interested by 12 buttons one. On laptop USB is not a big deal, but on iOS it can works BT with PUC+

There is an 8 button version that has a CC mode and a clever way to program between momentary and toggle modes by holding a switch for 10 seconds. I think the CCs are fixed but there's no dreaded bank switches so you can use all of them as triggers.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223370953325

• The eagle has landed @Janosax

• saweeeet setup @supadom ! the new MIDI pedal fits right in.

would love to see some more youtube live jams from you.

• @Hmtx said:
    saweeeet setup @supadom ! the new MIDI pedal fits right in.

would love to see some more youtube live jams from you.

Cheers mate. That’s the plan. I’m starting to find new confidence with general better sync and otherwise stability.

Unfortunately the new pedal isn’t up to scratch. I don’t understand why the momentary messages show as hold when binding in Loopy. I expect the pedal doesn’t just fire a single CC but several so having single tap and hold on one pedal is not an option. Too good to be true it seems. Bugger, I was looking forward to this!

• edited February 2019

Do you use CUS1 or CUS2 user preset, and then use CC per button and checked that it’s a momentary message? I suppose this setting must be set to off for allow momentary switch.

• @Janosax said:
    Do you use CUS1 or CUS2 user preset, and then use CC per button and checked that it’s a momentary message? I suppose this setting must be set to off for allow momentary switch.

Yes, I've set the custom 1 to send CCs on all switches and all are momentary.

• @supadom said:

@Janosax said:

Yes, I've set the custom 1 to send CCs on all switches and all are momentary.

That’s odd. Have you tried to change this setting too? It’s supposed to affect PC but could do so with CC?

• @Janosax that refers to behaviour when you switch banks. Using switches on the right. If you set it to immediate it will trigger the first pedal of the next bank automatically. If you set it to wait it will wait until you press whatever pedal you need in that bank. That’s at least what I’ve managed to work out from it.

I’ll keep investigating.

• @supadom have you tried to monitor midi messages with MidiFire or something else to see what’s going on?

• edited February 2019

@Janosax said:
    @supadom have you tried to monitor midi messages with MidiFire or something else to see what’s going on?

Yes and I understand even less after doing so. I’ve programmed all of the custom switches to send CCs and MidiFire is picking up all the PCs. I’m back to reading the manual, again.

However, solution is on its way. I’ve just made an offer on eBay and managed to get McMillen’s softstep 1. No midi expander but I’ll just have to live with usb midi for now,

• edited February 2019

@supadom I suppose the display shows CUS1 when you load the preset? I think you have to enter setup mode, then power off the unit and power on while holding one of the button to load CUS1. Other than that have you tried to change 4X5X8x10x setting? Perhaps 8X or 10X allow only for PC and 4X for 4 PC and 4 CC. No other idea... :/

• @Janosax said:
    @supadom I suppose the display shows CUS1 when you load the preset? I think you have to enter setup mode, then power off the unit and power on while holding one of the button to load CUS1. Other than that have you tried to change 4X5X8x10x setting? Perhaps 8X or 10X allow only for PC and 4X for 4 PC and 4 CC. No other idea... :/

The 8x, 10x etc refers to how many presets are jumped/skipped with bank switches. Yes otherwise the pedal is very clever because once you power up while holding the pedal corresponding to the preset you want to load, next time it loads it directly without holding anything down. The pedal is nice but the loopy behaviour absolutely baffles me.

To explain again. I bind momentary CC switch A to red without count in on track 1. Then I bind momentary CC switch 1 to toggle mute track 1. Then I bind switch 1 again to long press to clear track 1. I do that with all of my other controllers and it works like a charm.

The switches are definitely in momentary mode because the led above them doesn’t stay lit.

Softstep got me excited though. I didn’t realise that each switch can be treated like an XY pad and each of them is pressure sensitive too. Definitely something I’ll want to play with.

• Odd bug. I suppose you will quickly get a refund.

Yeah Softstep is very capable for sure!! And you can also set single double hold behavior (with 100 ms delay) per button, so others are not delayed.

• Is there any reason you haven't tried a Line 6 FBV mkII shortboard? Seems like it would be the perfect fit for your rig. There hasn't been a piece of midi gear I haven't been able to make it work with. I use mine with 3 different apps of varying message needs. Swiss Army Knife of midi pedal boards IMO.

• @rad3d said:
    Is there any reason you haven't tried a Line 6 FBV mkII shortboard? Seems like it would be the perfect fit for your rig. There hasn't been a piece of midi gear I haven't been able to make it work with. I use mine with 3 different apps of varying message needs. Swiss Army Knife of midi pedal boards IMO.

I think it must have been because of the form factor. The small one has too few pedals and the big one seemed too big, at least at the time when I was first looking at them. I see there are different versions. There’s also FBV III which looks nice in terms of size and switches but I see no mention of full customisation. I will download the manuals. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve just bought softstep so I’ll probably calm down for now, the control on that seems vast and if some of the pedals do pressure and XY I might leave the expression pedal out and just use them for control. See how it pans out.

In the meantime @Janosax I’ve worked out what was wrong with MT 100. Basically in momentary mode the switch would just fire the ‘on’ message but no ‘off’ on release so Loopy would interpret it as hold and ToneStack would simply turn an fx unit on and would not turn off on release or successive taps.

All sorted now. I had to send Thomann a video explaining the fault and they’ve sent me a return label right away. Seem like a good company.

• @supadom yes Thomann is awesome for their return policy, they even pay for return shipping, at least for Europe. Have you paid for it?

So CC on but not off is not momentary but hold, that’s crazy and too bad. Hope your Softstep will do it for you :smile:

• @Janosax said:
    @supadom yes Thomann is awesome for their return policy, they even pay for return shipping, at least for Europe. Have you paid for it?

So CC on but not off is not momentary but hold, that’s crazy and too bad. Hope your Softstep will do it for you :smile:

They pay for the postage because the unit is not working as it should.

I don't know exactly it this is how hold works but momentary cc should have an off message otherwise it is not momentary :) I don't know what they were thinking.

• @supadom said:
    I think it must have been because of the form factor. The small one has too few pedals and the big one seemed too big, at least at the time when I was first looking at them. I see there are different versions. There’s also FBV III which looks nice in terms of size and switches but I see no mention of full customisation. I will download the manuals. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve just bought softstep so I’ll probably calm down for now, the control on that seems vast and if some of the pedals do pressure and XY I might leave the expression pedal out and just use them for control. See how it pans out.

In the meantime @Janosax I’ve worked out what was wrong with MT 100. Basically in momentary mode the switch would just fire the ‘on’ message but no ‘off’ on release so Loopy would interpret it as hold and ToneStack would simply turn an fx unit on and would not turn off on release or successive taps.

All sorted now. I had to send Thomann a video explaining the fault and they’ve sent me a return label right away. Seem like a good company.

Good deal. It's all about finding something that works.

Let me know how you get along with the Softstep. I used both the 1 and the 2 for several years and am a big fan of many of KMI's products. I loved the control capabilities with the SS (though it's way easier to program from a Mac and I was more Windows at the time), but always found the button layout a little close, and the flat profile made it hard to tap the second row properly. I eventually mounted it on a frame at about a 15-20deg angle, and that's when it worked best for me. But I always had the FBV sitting around from a previous Line6 rack unit, and once I tried it as a midi controller with the iPad, it seemed to cover the ground of 2-3 of the other controllers I was using, so I ended up with a smaller form factor in the end.

Good luck.