Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to capture system audio on ios in stereo with internal mic muted?

So I’m trying to figure out the best way , st this time to capture all and any audio before it hits the speakers WITHOUT the built in mic. Especially with apps that don’t utilize background audio ....so I don’t have to scramble back and forth wondering if something is actually being recorded. I know I can do a screen capture in mono , but I want stereo audio.

Comments

• If your recording app supports background operation you have 2 options:
    with a 4 channel interface you can physically connect the output to the 2nd input pair
    (which is muted from monitoring)
    some interfaces (that support virtual channels) allow to send the system output pair to an additional destination of choice, which is then set as your recording source.

I've veryfied the latter by a Safari recording (YT) into Audioshare with an iCA4+ by just sending input 1/2 to output 1/2 (software channels, not physical destination), but this will result in feedback if an app receives (say) from a mic on the same input.

There may be a 'compromise solution' with using headphone output for monitoring while recording with an interface, but I have no experience with that.
    It's just a faint memory something like this was mentioned not too long ago (?)

• N> @Telefunky said:

If your recording app supports background operation you have 2 options:
    with a 4 channel interface you can physically connect the output to the 2nd input pair
    (which is muted from monitoring)
    some interfaces (that support virtual channels) allow to send the system output pair to an additional destination of choice, which is then set as your recording source.

I've veryfied the latter by a Safari recording (YT) into Audioshare with an iCA4+ by just sending input 1/2 to output 1/2 (software channels, not physical destination), but this will result in feedback if an app receives (say) from a mic on the same input.

There may be a 'compromise solution' with using headphone output for monitoring while recording with an interface, but I have no experience with that.
    It's just a faint memory something like this was mentioned not too long ago (?)

Well I was hoping to not have to use any hardware, like maybe with Aum or Audiobus but the problem is the app I’m trying to record from doesn’t do background audio , so the minute I switch to aum to see if I’m getting input , the audio cuts out

• iOS has no way for any app to record any other app's or the system's audio output, except if the source app specifically supports Audiobus, IAA, or is an Audio Unit. Sorry about that!

• If I need to record system audio, like movies or YouTube, I use two devices and an iconnect to pass the audio digitally from one device to another. Clunky enough, I don’t think it threatens digital content rights much, but it works if you are desperate to capture audio from apps that don’t have audiobus or IAA.

• @bedheadproducer the Behringer umc404 works great for the as does the iCA4+. If you have a MAC, then using the lightning cable to send audio to your Mac works great.

I don’t think apple will ever allow this natively so hardware is the easiest.

• If you have a Mac, connecting via IDAM (Audio Midi Setup) would be a simple way to do it. Once IDAM is enabled, you can record straight into your favourite DAW, Sampler or Wave Editor.