Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rozeta LFO in Audiobus?

Is it possible to use Rozeta LFO in Audiobus? I can’t find an equivalent to the midi routing features in AUM or apeMatrix. Am I missing something or is it not there?

Thanks!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

It will work for apps that can accept midi cc's directly. It won't work for AUv3 apps that only expose their parameters and don't have midi-learn or established cc's. IAA apps, plus Troublemaker, Ruismaker, etc will work. What app(s) are you trying to direct it to?

If I remember correctly, @michael is currently working on that.

• What I would most like is to control parameters of some FX, which I can do in AUM or apeMatrix. Is that possible in Audiobus?

• Not right now @murky_fish , but very soon!

• @Michael said:
    Not right now @murky_fish , but very soon!

Hi--just wanted to revisit this--specifically I'm trying to control Spacecraft via Rozeta LFO (I do have the latest AB3 beta).

• edited February 2019

@hightunnels said:
    Hi--just wanted to revisit this--specifically I'm trying to control Spacecraft via Rozeta LFO (I do have the latest AB3 beta).

You can't currently do it without a workaround (I think native support is coming though). If you have the miditools from audioveek use the router filter to send the midi from Rozeta LFO to "audiobus 3" port then the midi learn on SpaceCraft AU can pick up the signal from Rozeta LFO.

See the second lane here:

• @Carnbot Cool work-around, thanks a lot !

• @hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Yep, working on this; it's a top priority for me.

• @Carnbot said:

@hightunnels said:

You can't currently do it without a workaround (I think native support is coming though). If you have the miditools from audioveek use the router filter to send the midi from Rozeta LFO to "audiobus 3" port then the midi learn on SpaceCraft AU can pick up the signal from Rozeta LFO.

See the second lane here:

Very cool--thanks will look into this

• @Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

• @hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

This is all finished and ready for testing in version 3.4 beta!

• @Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Just tried it in the beta and it works great! Huzzah!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Ok this looks great but I can’t figure out how to make it work! Tell me the routing?? Thanks!

• @hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Ok this looks great but I can’t figure out how to make it work! Tell me the routing?? Thanks!

Yeah, took me a minute. Go to the MIDI tab and put a MIDI sender in. Then go to the MIDI receiver (end of lane) and select the System option at the bottom of the picker. You should see the midi learn option at the bottom.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Yeah, took me a minute. Go to the MIDI tab and put a MIDI sender in. Then go to the MIDI receiver (end of lane) and select the System option at the bottom of the picker. You should see the midi learn option at the bottom.

Thanks @lukesleepwalker I actually got that far then couldn't figure out what to do after! I haven't been using midi learn at all -- how do I assign one of the lfo to a spaceship parameter?

• The new midi routing port works great for the midi lane routings now :) but I'm a little puzzled.

Is there any reason why that port isn't just hidden all the time and enabled for each lane by default? Then the midi learn can just pickup whatever is being sent via the lane and if you don't want the lane to transmit midi for the learn mode you can mute the lane anyway...

Maybe there's a good reason I'm missing?

• edited February 2019

@hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Thanks @lukesleepwalker I actually got that far then couldn't figure out what to do after! I haven't been using midi learn at all -- how do I assign one of the lfo to a spaceship parameter?

Ah, ok. So, just add Spacecraft to the receiver slot in the same lane (or another lane). Turn on MIDI mode and tap on Spacecraft. Tap on Adjust Parameter after selecting which CC you want to control that parameter and make sure the AB transport is playing. Should work! (just got it going here and I'm swaying to the sweep of a space orchestra. Try adding multiple MIDI bindings for various Spacecraft params--it's amazing)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@hightunnels said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

@hightunnels said:

@Michael said:

Thanks, Michael!

Ah, ok. So, just add Spacecraft to the receiver slot in the same lane (or another lane). Turn on MIDI mode and tap on Spacecraft. Tap on Adjust Parameter after selecting which CC you want to control that parameter and make sure the AB transport is playing. Should work! (just got it going here and I'm swaying to the sweep of a space orchestra. Try adding multiple MIDI bindings for various Spacecraft params--it's amazing)

Cool, thanks for that--away from the ipad till later but will try then!

• The latest beta of SpaceCraft has all of the parameters connected input Ccs . Check comments of previous builds for the cc numbers. Would this make things easier ?

• @Carnbot said:
    The new midi routing port works great for the midi lane routings now :) but I'm a little puzzled.

Is there any reason why that port isn't just hidden all the time and enabled for each lane by default? Then the midi learn can just pickup whatever is being sent via the lane and if you don't want the lane to transmit midi for the learn mode you can mute the lane anyway...

It's just to make it a bit more obvious and visible, at least in theory.

• @Michael said:

@Carnbot said:
    The new midi routing port works great for the midi lane routings now :) but I'm a little puzzled.

ok yeah, good point, then you know you've set up a learn in that lane from the lane itself :)

• @deltaVaudio said:
    The latest beta of SpaceCraft has all of the parameters connected input Ccs . Check comments of previous builds for the cc numbers. Would this make things easier ?

Ok that makes sense—finally got it working but the default cc values in Rozeta lfo (13,14,15) kept giving me different results than what I selected in midi learn au parameters. Changing lfo to 1,2,3 seemed to work

• @Carnbot said:

@Michael said:

@Carnbot said:

ok yeah, good point, then you know you've set up a learn in that lane from the lane itself :)

I'll be honest and say that it wasn't completely intuitive me that I should add the MIDI learn from System picker and then add the synth. It makes sense after the fact and it's easy once you get it, but for some reason I kept thinking it should go in the Effects slot and that it should read something like "Enable MIDI Learn". But that's just me...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@Michael said:

@Carnbot said:

I'll be honest and say that it wasn't completely intuitive me that I should add the MIDI learn from System picker and then add the synth. It makes sense after the fact and it's easy once you get it, but for some reason I kept thinking it should go in the Effects slot and that it should read something like "Enable MIDI Learn". But that's just me...

Yeah it makes sense in hindsight.

For me I guess it's the visual nature of the midi lanes flowing top to bottom (or left to right), which makes it seem strange it doesn't just work without having to add the port, so if you learn the app at the receiver end it looks like the midi should just show up as it's flowing through the lane....but being able to eject it is useful as is a symbol that midi learn is active in the lane, so it does make sense after you use it.

But yeah, great functionality and these new picker organisation filters are really useful too :)

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@Michael said:

@Carnbot said:

For me I guess it's the visual nature of the midi lanes flowing top to bottom (or left to right), which makes it seem strange it doesn't just work without having to add the port, so if you learn the app at the receiver end it looks like the midi should just show up as it's flowing through the lane....but being able to eject it is useful as is a symbol that midi learn is active in the lane, so it does make sense after you use it.

But yeah, great functionality and these new picker organisation filters are really useful too :)

Yep, I find myself using AB a whole lot more now since the MIDI updates have come fast and furious. Very fast and easy workflow for me.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

@Michael said:

@Carnbot said:

Yep, I find myself using AB a whole lot more now since the MIDI updates have come fast and furious. Very fast and easy workflow for me.

Yeah same here, especially now that you can midi learn from the sender apps. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yeah same here, especially now that you can midi learn from the sender apps. :)

That's great! Well, I guess that's the whole idea behind my spending time on it right now :lol:

• edited February 2019

@Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Hmm, interesting. It's important to me that it's intuitive, so maybe I need to rethink it a little. Tricky: because I thought of it, of course it makes sense to me - I often find it hard to put myself outside my own mind to consider UX =)

The thing with having every MIDI pipeline feed into a hidden MIDI Learn receiver is that if you've actually got something loaded in there, and the transport is running, then MIDI Learn itself is gonna be near unusable as it'll be flooded with stuff from those lines, drowning out the command you actually wanna learn - unless the learn step comes with a selection of source first, but I don't wanna do that.

I could move the receiver (or add it) to the Effects slot - feels like a receiver though, not an effect, so it seems odd to me. But that's just me. Anyone else wanna chime in?

• It is likely that the effects slot popped into my head because I've been using it a lot lately--many recent MIDI FX released lately. I think @Carnbot probably describes the expected behavior by most users. After all Rozeta LFO's job is to send MIDI CC data. And I'm not sure that the way you've set it up prevents the barrage of data anyway? I still got the barrage when I set it up with current functionality and I knew to turn off the transport and went back to Rozeta to turn off the CC's I didn't want to learn (or memorize the CC values to manually set in my receiver). So I think I agree with @Carnbot on this. Keep it simple!