Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Voice Training?

Hey there!

Erol Singer's Studio - Voice Lessons by Erol Studios
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/erol-singers-studio-voice-lessons/id502780186?mt=8

Ran across this app on my phone for the first time today and am interested but wondering if anyone here has experience with it, other recommendations, or thoughts on the topic? I've considered getting some voice lesson to improve my vocals and this is cheap compared to those...but still pricey at $45.

Comments

• Go to Udemy .com. Much better deals to be had

• It’s a great app, it looks like they went up with the price because I know it wasn’t $45 when I bought it over a year ago. Not that I’m saying it’s not worth it, I took a few vocal lessons years ago and they were $30 per lesson. The one thing I can say for me personally is sometimes you don’t get them or know they are actually working at first until you start hitting those notes you couldn’t hit or sing stuff and sometimes that light goes off and you’re like “ oooooh, now I see why how that silly thing they had me singing helps”.
    Kinda like in Karate Kid, when he was doing wax on wax off, and didn’t understand how it was helping him learn karate but then he saw how it helped later, lol. That reference might be a little old, don’t know if you saw that movie ( the original one )

• Erol's Singer's Studio is the app that taught me how to sing. It worked amazingly well for me, taking me from strangled cat who couldn't hold a tune to being a passable singer (even my wife admits begrudgingly that I made amazing progress in that department).

Sadly it looks like the app has got a lot more expensive. I bought it back in 2013 for £9.99.

Anyway the reason I found it so effective is because the way it visually tracks your pitch as you sing back the notes helps you to hear when you're in tune or not. Before using the app I was simply all at sea, I couldn't tell what being in tune actually sounded like and that's what the app taught me: the ability to hear when I was in tune.

I only used it for about 3 months, but those 3 months were crucial. After that I practised by actually singing songs with an acoustic guitar, which is obviously a lot more fun than singing scales and runs. I've been singing for 5 years now and although progress has been pretty slow, I have made a lot of progress in that time. I'm still only an intermediate singer but learning to sing is pretty hard, especially if you start from a very low bar like I did.

Just bear in mind that while you are using the app you will probably want to be somewhere private, or at least wait until family have gone out, because you won't be pleasant to listen to - the training isn't very musical to hear.

So my advice is if you need an app to help you hear when you sing notes in tune, then it's definitely worth it in my experience. However if you can already tell when you are in tune or not, you're best off just practicing singing by other means (karaoke apps and the like). FWIW I've tried just about every singing app available and Erol's Singers Studio is the only one I found useful.

• If it guaranteed it'd work I'd spend 45 quid on it. Sadly, I think I'm beyond training to sing in tune :/

• @enc said:
    If it guaranteed it'd work I'd spend 45 quid on it. Sadly, I think I'm beyond training to sing in tune :/

I did not watch this app. But I’ll tell you that two or three months of solfege training are enough to sing in tune. For example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=mEopSLv5oas

• If you are looking for something to do vocal warmups/exercises that help you with pitch, I recommend Vanido. It's quite cheap and gives you visual, real time feedback as to how on-pitch you are .

https://vanido.io/

Looking into this Erol thing as I am looking to take my singing to the next level.

• edited February 2019

Does anyone know if you need an internet connection to use this? I find practicing (with Vanido) in the car a very useful thing: it's private, so no disrupting my family, plus it saves time as I can do it on my commute. I have data, but if it has to stream video or something that would be a deal breaker. I have had other voice apps that did this :/

• @MikeyP said:
    Does anyone know if you need an internet connection to use this? I find practicing (with Vanido) in the car a very useful thing: it's private, so no disrupting my family, plus it saves time as I can do it on my commute. I have data, but if it has to stream video or something that would be a deal breaker. I have had other voice apps that did this :/

You don't need to be connected to the internet to use the app.

• @richardyot said:

@MikeyP said:

You don't need to be connected to the internet to use the app.

Thanks sir! Awesome!

• The trouble I always had with Vanido is that the app doesn't allow you to monitor yourself as you sing, so basically you can't hear your own voice in the headphones/headset. IMO that makes it pretty much impossible to really sing.

I emailed them about this years ago, never heard back.

• Also this app is quite useful to monitor your pitch as you sing, Colla Voce:

https://itunes.apple.com/ms/app/colla-voce/id1035254849?mt=8

• Thanks, @Strizbiz ! I am definitely familiar with the wisdom of Mr. Miyagi... I appreciate the info. Some of the comments indicated that they tried to set the price at $65 and actually backed off to $45 in response (also supported in the link below). :neutral:

@richardyot , that was very helpful info, thanks! Especially the part about people having to hear me... :wink: I do have the wife's buy-in, though, and says that she'd like to improve her singing, so that makes it more economical. That's also good because she doesn't like the idea of me taking lessons from a womanly voice coach, either. Neither of us are new to singing, but have fallen out of practice and are just trying to find an option to get us back and better. Sounds like this could be worth the squeeze.

Now I shall calculate whether I can swing that price and meditate on what other music apps will need to go unpurchased...

(Doesn't look like sales are too likely: http://appshopper.com/music/erol-singers-studio)

• @oddSTAR If you can already sing then I'm not sure how useful the app would be. You might be better off using other approaches, such as singing songs with a guitar or keyboard, or even just karaoke from Youtube. Record yourself and listen back.

I don't think the app can be a substitute for a singing teacher, but it is good at showing you when you're in tune. However it's nowhere near as much fun as just singing a damn song :)

• @richardyot said:
    The trouble I always had with Vanido is that the app doesn't allow you to monitor yourself as you sing, so basically you can't hear your own voice in the headphones/headset. IMO that makes it pretty much impossible to really sing.

I think it does this? I will have to check. In any case I havent noticed this to be a problem if am using buds and have the volume up enough to drown out the environmental sounds

• @MikeyP said:

@richardyot said:
    The trouble I always had with Vanido is that the app doesn't allow you to monitor yourself as you sing, so basically you can't hear your own voice in the headphones/headset. IMO that makes it pretty much impossible to really sing.

I think it does this? I will have to check. In any case I havent noticed this to be a problem if am using buds and have the volume up enough to drown out the environmental sounds

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never found a setting that lets me monitor myself as I sing when using a headset.

• @oddSTAR said:
    @richardyot , that was very helpful info, thanks! Especially the part about people having to hear me... :wink: I do have the wife's buy-in, though, and says that she'd like to improve her singing, so that makes it more economical. That's also good because she doesn't like the idea of me taking lessons from a womanly voice coach, either. Neither of us are new to singing, but have fallen out of practice and are just trying to find an option to get us back and better. Sounds like this could be worth the squeeze.

(Doesn't look like sales are too likely: http://appshopper.com/music/erol-singers-studio)

Hmm, well $45 does seem steep just to get back to where you were at. Maybe try something like Vanido or the one Richard suggested first?

• @richardyot said:

@MikeyP said:

@richardyot said:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never found a setting that lets me monitor myself as I sing when using a headset.

And maybe I am deluded and am just hearing myself in my head LOL

• Vanido seems abandoned. I've tried a few times to use the app but it doesn't actually sign in, regardless of the authentication method that you try. The App Store reviews are full of people with the same issue.

I ponied up for Erol's a while back and it seems great, but I really need to make more time for it in my practice. I've messed around with a lot of iOS singing apps and Erol's seems like the best.

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Vanido seems abandoned. I've tried a few times to use the app but it doesn't actually sign in, regardless of the authentication method that you try. The App Store reviews are full of people with the same issue.

I ponied up for Erol's a while back and it seems great, but I really need to make more time for it in my practice. I've messed around with a lot of iOS singing apps and Erol's seems like the best.

Good to know!

• TE Tuner by Sonosaurus (who also gave us Drumjam and Thumbjam) is the best tuning app you'll ever find, and much less expensive.

• Huzzah! Erol's just updated today and now properly supports the iPhone X family, as well as generally refreshes the UI.