Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Nice. The first might be just what I need to get best use out of my ROLI Lightpad Block!

• very useful, particularly if you don't want to use streambyter, might pick up the channel strip for now :)

• Yee haw, so far 2019 is looking like an AU MIDI tools year! I'll buy all of these as a way to thank Nic for his help with StreamByter. Won't cover it but... No bundle for one button shopping eh?

• Does that mean that we finally have a bunch of apps that can transform midi messages without a need for coding? Streambyter for ‘normal’ people? ;)

• @Jocphone said:
    Nice. The first might be just what I need to get best use out of my ROLI Lightpad Block!

Please elaborate... What you planning with the Lightblock?

• @no1normal said:

@Jocphone said:
    Nice. The first might be just what I need to get best use out of my ROLI Lightpad Block!

Please elaborate... What you planning with the Lightblock?

Just that I can turn pitch bend, which is side to side sliding on the block, and possibly other controller gestures into CC messages that my apps recognise.

• @supadom said:
    Does that mean that we finally have a bunch of apps that can transform midi messages without a need for coding? Streambyter for ‘normal’ people? ;)

Sorta. It's more like these are MidiFire modular blocks of the most common things people want to do. So it doesn't cover all of the stuff that you'd use SB for, but it makes the simplest and most common things easy and fast.

• mfxPitch
    Can pan the pitchs?

• @supadom said:
    Does that mean that we finally have a bunch of apps that can transform midi messages without a need for coding? Streambyter for ‘normal’ people? ;)

Good comment we need that my thought exactly.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Sorta. It's more like these are MidiFire modular blocks of the most common things people want to do. So it doesn't cover all of the stuff that you'd use SB for, but it makes the simplest and most common things easy and fast.

Are you saying that you still need to put the code in module's settings like in midi fire?

• edited February 2019

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Are you saying that you still need to put the code in module's settings like in midi fire?

No, these are akin to the MidiFire modules that have the GUI to abstract away the code stuff. For instance, Channel Strip in MidiFire doesn't require code stuff--the UI looks similar to what is being offered in the AUv3 version. Note that these AUv3 modules go further than the stock MidiFire modules. mfxConvert, for instance, makes some conditional stuff easy (stuff that requires SB in MidiFire), as requested in another recent thread.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

No, these are akin to the MidiFire modules that have the GUI to abstract away the code stuff. For instance, Channel Strip in MidiFire doesn't require code stuff--the UI looks similar to what is being offered in the AUv3 version. Note that these AUv3 modules go further than the stock MidiFire modules. mfxConvert, for instance, makes some conditional stuff easy (stuff that requires SB in MidiFire), as requested in another recent thread.

OK cool. Sorry, when I hear audeonic my hands start sweating automatically and brain gets cloudy like the old Rosie. :)

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

OK cool. Sorry, when I hear audeonic my hands start sweating automatically and brain gets cloudy like the old Rosie. :)

No doubt! I think these are the droids you are looking for.

• @Carnbot said:
    very useful, particularly if you don't want to use streambyter, might pick up the channel strip for now :)

If you get it, could you try to explain what the ‘poly to mono’ thing is doing?
    I am curious.

I think I am getting the Midi Converter app. That is what I need StreamByter the most for.

• Will do :)
    Not got it yet, but in Midifire it says:

“Switching this on will convert a polyphonic source to mono intelligently and will operate like a mono keyboard from the good old days.”
    Not sure how it chooses what gets through though...

@CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:
    very useful, particularly if you don't want to use streambyter, might pick up the channel strip for now :)

If you get it, could you try to explain what the ‘poly to mono’ thing is doing?
    I am curious.

I think I am getting the Midi Converter app. That is what I need StreamByter the most for.

• edited February 2019

Audeonic made a overview video

• I am going to need to look into the uses for me.

I am not sure

What is the target customer here?

What set up and for what specific?

That’s I guess what I would like to hear about.

What set up do theee apps best augment?

• The video is very good at explaining it! The pitch bend effect is wild--someone is gonna go all My Bloody Valentine with this thing and create the electronic equivalent of Loveless. Maybe that someone should be me, come to think of it.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I am going to need to look into the uses for me.

I am not sure

What is the target customer here?

What set up and for what specific?

That’s I guess what I would like to hear about.

What set up do theee apps best augment?

There are some use cases in here for musicians who are just looking for quick/easy MIDI solutions in an AU MIDI workflow, which is relatively new still in the big picture. Then there is an even smaller community of musicians who are embracing the modular AUv3 approach to musicking that is more focused on composing with different techniques of manipulating MIDI rather than just audio. The AU MIDI FX tools like this these, especially the new pitch bend one, are opening up new ways to compose in this modular world. The upcoming Photon app will be a key player in the MIDI generation category. Pair these with algo-driven generative tools like Autony, Riffer, etc and the possibilities are endless--and can be pointed at sound generators to create even more possibilities.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The video is very good at explaining it! The pitch bend effect is wild--someone is gonna go all My Bloody Valentine with this thing and create the electronic equivalent of Loveless. Maybe that someone should be me, come to think of it.

You should leave your Loveless vinyl in the sun for a bit.
    That is some crazy sounding shit.

• Will be interesting to see how well these do, the cost is basically the same as most of the host software they would run in, we all know what that normally means.

• I can see the midi fx pitch doing what he demonstrates in the video. Play a sparse generated guitar lead and add little riffs or plucks without adding more continuous midi notes.

As of now I’ve either been using two instances of Autony. One with longer notes and another with shorter 1/16 or 1/32 ones with varying amounts of Quantity dialed in. Or an LFO to wiggle between time divisions. Riffer works to, but for on the fly it tends to be a little more jaunty in what it generates compared to Autony.

• A bundle would be great ...

• @audiblevideo said:
    I can see the midi fx pitch doing what he demonstrates in the video. Play a sparse generated guitar lead and add little riffs or plucks without adding more continuous midi notes.

As of now I’ve either been using two instances of Autony. One with longer notes and another with shorter 1/16 or 1/32 ones with varying amounts of Quantity dialed in. Or an LFO to wiggle between time divisions. Riffer works to, but for on the fly it tends to be a little more jaunty in what it generates compared to Autony.

You should check out MidiEcho. It can do this, too. You need to use more than one instance, in most cases.

• @CracklePot said:

@audiblevideo said:
    I can see the midi fx pitch doing what he demonstrates in the video. Play a sparse generated guitar lead and add little riffs or plucks without adding more continuous midi notes.

You should check out MidiEcho. It can do this, too. You need to use more than one instance, in most cases.

Agree, MidiEcho also has some interesting options for mutes that can be applied instead of multiple instances.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@audiblevideo said:

Agree, MidiEcho also has some interesting options for mutes that can be applied instead of multiple instances.

Indeed. I was suggesting multiple instances for when you want independent control over the different shifts/timings. The mutes are great for getting rhythmic variety.

• @CracklePot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@audiblevideo said:

Indeed. I was suggesting multiple instances for when you want independent control over the different shifts/timings. The mutes are great for getting rhythmic variety.

Gotcha. And true enough... I'm thinking about combining the echo MIDI FX with the pitch bender from Audeonic. Looks like a project for this evening!

• I could personally use a clear explanation of the difference between strip and convert.

• wimwim
    edited February 2019

I don’t get a midi module that maps just one note to another. When remapping is needed it’s rarely one note. I keep waiting for something with a table of note mappings in one convenient module. So, for instance, mapping GM drum notes to Gadget Recife notes. Even better if channel per note can be remapped as well. I’m hoping @blueveek will step up to this one.

As-is, I’d need 8 to 16 instances of the channel strip or mapper. Not practical for my use case.

Midi Flow has this mapping down cold, but is standalone. I’m hoping for an AU though.

• @wim said:
    I don’t get a midi module that maps just one note to another. When remapping is needed it’s rarely one note. I keep waiting for something with a table of note mappings in one convenient module. So, for instance, mapping GM drum notes to Gadget Recife notes. Even better if channel per note can be remapped as well. I’m hoping @blueveek will step up to this one.

As-is, I’d need 8 to 16 instances of the channel strip or mapper. Not practical for my use case.

Midi Flow has this mapping down cold, but is standalone. I’m hoping for an AU though.

Ding, ding, ding! Agree we need a "table" remapper in AUv3 version.