Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi foot controllers. Ideas/hacks etc.

edited February 2019 in Other

Just look what cropped up on my advert feed on Failbook.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mp_100_midi_foot_controller.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=hotproducts&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=[432459]+#Uk+#Harley+Benton+#+Harley+Benton+MP-100+MIDI+Foot+Controller+#GI+#2019-01-25+19:03:15+#new+#£102.08+%23intcat&fbclid=IwAR2znlgQg86PMQtW0rPnook5aph8YDziZ12_WvQ-shGsIkmey0I3dqv2Jr

Midi CCs,

2 x Exp pedal inputs

5 pin midi

Usb midi

Battery powered (with charging!)

Looks like I will be getting this very, very soon!

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was programmable from the built in display.

Comments

• Looks like a nice bit of kit...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who tried clicking on the thumbnails to see the other images :D

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Looks like a nice bit of kit...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who tried clicking on the thumbnails to see the other images :D

I was the first one to do it!

• Aha - I spotted that last last night that too. I think it was on my Facebook ad feed as well - those algorithms must be analysing our interests pretty well ;)

Looks like a decent bit of kit - I'd like to read the manual though... does it send Notes or Just ccs?

• It couldn't get much better for the price.
    I'm curious if it can also send MIDI notes instead of CC?
    A few programs only accept notes for remote control.

• edited January 2019

That’s pretty funny @supadom I’ve contacted Thomann about this pedalboard a week ago, and they sent me the manual, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89uuzq845tovc4i/432459_c_432459_r1_en_online.pdf?dl=0

Windows is not mentionned, only iOS, Mac and android, which is an issue for me. I will ask them about that, as it seems surprising. I need another (wired) pedalboard only for my laptop.

There is also that coming Ableton specific pedalboard:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/datalooper-the-loop-pedal-built-for-ableton-live#/

Mcmillen Softstep2 seems to have issues with Windows, and I’m still uncertain to switch to Mac.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to manage lot of switches, because as a sax player I can’t really look at my foot while playing.

• looks great. but is it noisy- clicky? or quiet-clicky?

• @ricksteruk said:
    Aha - I spotted that last last night that too. I think it was on my Facebook ad feed as well - those algorithms must be analysing our interests pretty well ;)

Looks like a decent bit of kit - I'd like to read the manual though... does it send Notes or Just ccs?

CCs and PCs.

• @Hmtx said:
    looks great. but is it noisy- clicky? or quiet-clicky?

Good point. Not sure, this kind can be clicky but can’t see any reviews yet to confirm either way.

Well I’ll be getting it anyway even if judging by the width of the unit (285mm) the space between the switches might be minimal. Might have to get pointy shoes as a workaround. :)

• This is gonna sound like a nit-pick and it probably is. But I've found that with two rows of buttons stacked like that in a form factor with a chunky depth, it's hard to accurately press the top row. Perhaps my feet are too big.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This is gonna sound like a nit-pick and it probably is. But I've found that with two rows of buttons stacked like that in a form factor with a chunky depth, it's hard to accurately press the top row. Perhaps my feet are too big.

I think it depends on the size to weight ratio. I’m very happily using Zoom G3Xn with 2 rows and it is fine but admittedly the top row is in the middle and not at the top. I guess one could assign the top row for less used functions like clear track.

• For me the biggest bummer with these is that usually the bank buttons aren’t freely assignable therefore I can’t have the full front row for firing CCs. I’m hoping this will have this ability in one of the custome modes,

• @supadom said:
    usually the bank buttons aren’t freely assignable [...]

This is part of why I'm so happy with my Line 6 FCB mkII shortboard. 13 footswitches all freely configurable. :+1:

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This is gonna sound like a nit-pick and it probably is. But I've found that with two rows of buttons stacked like that in a form factor with a chunky depth, it's hard to accurately press the top row. Perhaps my feet are too big.

Mooer candy to the rescue!

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Effect-Protection-Effectfor-Colorful/dp/B075WCG4L7

• edited January 2019

@supadom have you seen the manual I’ve shared on previous post? It seems than two buttons on the right are only for PC change. Other than that doesn’t seems too difficult to setup, and doesn’t need any external editor. I’ve had confirmation from Thomann that Windows 10 is not supported. But it has midi out and is battery powered or can use a power bank/wall plug via usb, so with an audio/midi interface that will works. Perhaps even better as it will leave a free USB port and free CPU ressources to laptop, same thing with iOS and usb hubs/CCK3 which will not be necessarily needed. My iRig pro IO has midi in out and can works on batteries or usb, so that should form a good combo.

• edited January 2019

@Janosax said:
    @supadom have you seen the manual I’ve shared on previous post? It seems than two buttons on the right are only for PC change. Other than that doesn’t seems too difficult to setup, and doesn’t need any external editor. I’ve had confirmation from Thomann that Windows 10 is not supported. But it has midi out and is battery powered or can use a power bank/wall plug via usb, so with an audio/midi interface that will works. Perhaps even better as it will leave a free USB port and free CPU ressources to laptop, same thing with iOS and usb hubs/CCK3 which will not be necessarily needed. My iRig pro IO has midi in out and can works on batteries or usb, so that should form a good combo.

Yes, I’ve read through it a few times but couldn’t quite work out. From what I understood the switches on the right are just for moving around the lcd menu but I very much hope I’m wrong and you’re right. Even if they only send PC it’s still something I can use. Also great news that it can be programmed on the unit itself.

Are you taking the plunge?

• edited January 2019

Yes I think I will give it a try for my laptop, having to use the iPhone and Studiomux for BlueBoard BT connection is not a reliable solution. Thomann offers a very effective refund system in case of need, 30 days to try the unit.

You’re right, the manual is not clear about those buttons. I’m in fact not sure if they allow to change banks or are only for settings. Other buttons seems not difficult to set, but all the PC thing is not clear. It is mentionned in product description 10 buttons are programmable so there is some hope :)

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Effect-Protection-Effectfor-Colorful/dp/B075WCG4L7

These are slightly cheaper and have many shapes to choose from

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/maynards-bassetts-wine-gums-sweets-bag/009063-4363-4364?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sriBRD-ARIsABYdwwFkQLPLfzJm3Lf7WoOYIcQy7ywDSlkPt4njsfrlPiG_AZMoE4EOEWAaApFmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• @Janosax said:
    Yes I think I will give it a try for my laptop, having to use the iPhone and Studiomux for BlueBoard BT connection is not a reliable solution. Thomann offers a very effective refund system in case of need, 30 days to try the unit.

You’re right, the manual is not clear about those buttons. I’m in fact not sure if they allow to change banks or are only for settings. Other buttons seems not difficult to set, but all the PC thing is not clear. It is mentionned in product description 10 buttons are programmable so there is some hope :)

If they say there's 10 programmable switches then there's one reason for a free shipping return.

I think I'm going to get it too. I just hope the switches aren't too close to each other.

• edited January 2019

I agree with you @supadom I’ve just asked them by mail to have the info, I will certainly get an answer tomorrow. I will ask them for the distance between switches too. It is 1 cm wider than BlueBoard, and has extreme buttons more on case edges, that could be ok.

• @supadom said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

These are slightly cheaper and have many shapes to choose from

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/maynards-bassetts-wine-gums-sweets-bag/009063-4363-4364?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sriBRD-ARIsABYdwwFkQLPLfzJm3Lf7WoOYIcQy7ywDSlkPt4njsfrlPiG_AZMoE4EOEWAaApFmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

:lol:

• @Janosax said:
    I agree with you @supadom I’ve just asked them by mail to have the info, I will certainly get an answer tomorrow. I will ask them for the distance between switches too. It is 1 cm wider than BlueBoard, and has extreme buttons more on case edges, that could be ok.

Hey Jano, any response from Thomann? My finger is itching to get this.

• @supadom said:

@Janosax said:

Lol me too, but not yet unfortunately. I already bought a 2.5 mm jack extension for my iRig midi wire :)

I think I will get/try it even if only 8 buttons are programmable. 115 euros is unbeatable.

• @Janosax said:

@supadom said:

@Janosax said:

Lol me too, but not yet unfortunately. I already bought a 2.5 mm jack extension for my iRig midi wire :)

I think I will get/try it even if only 8 buttons are programmable. 115 euros is unbeatable.

Sold out :(

• Too bad :( I suppose it’s a matter of weeks now to get one.

• @Janosax said:
    Too bad :( I suppose it’s a matter of weeks now to get one.

Well, I’ve placed an order when there was only one left in stock but they have this funny system with international buyers where you place an order without paying and they get back to you within working store’s hours with payment instructions.

I’ve paid this morning but cannot be sure I was the person who made that ‘only 1 available’ change to ‘out of stock’ ;)

• Suspens!!! :D

• @Janosax said:
    Suspens!!! :D

In this case more like Spannung!! ;)

• @supadom said:

@Janosax said:

Music is all about tension and release. This is the case with music gear too. I hope your spannung will release into joyful and shiny chords, not angry clusters!! :s :D

• @Janosax said:

@supadom said:

@Janosax said:

Music is all about tension and release. This is the case with music gear too. I hope your spannung will release into joyful and shiny chords, not angry clusters!! :s :D

The joyful musical thing is already happening :)

Now I'm just working at improving dynamics live. 2 dedicated pedals for putting lp filter on some parts and then opening it when the time comes while building it up with the guitar alongside a live drummer should give it enough kick. The top row of buttons seem perfect for that.

• edited February 2019

@supadom said:

@Janosax said:

@supadom said:

@Janosax said:

The joyful musical thing is already happening :)

Now I'm just working at improving dynamics live. 2 dedicated pedals for putting lp filter on some parts and then opening it when the time comes while building it up with the guitar alongside a live drummer should give it enough kick. The top row of buttons seem perfect for that.

Yes I see what you mean, this is why it’s useful to have lot of buttons for that purpose, that can be also delays, gate effects, reverses... that brings more life to loops and performance :)