Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stagelight is live on the App Store!

Comments

• @gregsmith said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight just noticed the new beta has dropped!

Before I download this, does it include a fix for the out of tune bug as planned?

Hi Greg,

See my message above. The issue is a bit deeper than expected. We reached out to the developer why word making our own internal fix in parallel. I don't internal fix will take a little bit more testing so it has been pushed off to 4.0.6.

• @nonchai said:
    Question to @MatthewAtStagelight:
    if I have an AudioUnit plugin - for example SynthMaster One - that is supported on both Mac OSX AND iOS as an AUv3 - and have a Stagelight project on OSX which uses that AU plugin - if I then copy my Stagelight project and all its data over to an iPad via - say iCloud - and then open the same Starlight project on my iPad in Starlight on iOS - will Stagelight the automatically know to use the AUv3 on the track that corresponds to the same plugin on OSX? ( for example SynthMaster ONE ) ?

Depending upon the particular AUv3 app, there maybe compatibility issues particularly if a patch works on macOS but not on the more resource limited iOS app. There can also be variations in how easily patches transfer between iOS and macOS versions of an app so you might want to communicate your questions about these issues with the AUv3 app developer as well.

• @MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:

Before I download this, does it include a fix for the out of tune bug as planned?

Hi Greg,

See my message above. The issue is a bit deeper than expected. We reached out to the developer why word making our own internal fix in parallel. I don't internal fix will take a little bit more testing so it has been pushed off to 4.0.6.

Ah sorry missed that. Shame it’s a tough one to crack - good luck with it!

I’ve found with some synths I can change their tuning to be in tune again, but not all. iPad with headphone adapter works fine too so I can always freeze tracks there then transfer. Not ideal but all helpful.

• edited January 2019

New tutorial

• @MatthewAtStagelight can Stagelight have multiple time signatures in the same song? Can it have multiple tempos in the same song? I can't find settings for it so I guess it can't, but figured I'd ask in here too (as my Google community question remains unanswered). ;)

• @hellquist said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight can Stagelight have multiple time signatures in the same song? Can it have multiple tempos in the same song? I can't find settings for it so I guess it can't, but figured I'd ask in here too (as my Google community question remains unanswered). ;)

These features would really push SL ahead of other daws as far as I know. It’s also hard to do I think with lots of factors to take into consideration.

• @hellquist said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight can Stagelight have multiple time signatures in the same song? Can it have multiple tempos in the same song? I can't find settings for it so I guess it can't, but figured I'd ask in here too (as my Google community question remains unanswered). ;)

I should let Mathew answer that definitely but I’m 99% sure the answer is yes.

• @gregsmith said:

@MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:

Hi Greg,

Ah sorry missed that. Shame it’s a tough one to crack - good luck with it!

I’ve found with some synths I can change their tuning to be in tune again, but not all. iPad with headphone adapter works fine too so I can always freeze tracks there then transfer. Not ideal but all helpful.

Just a thought... as this is happening with quite a few synths, maybe reach out to all of them. Some devs will be more cooperative than others I’m sure!

• edited January 2019

@MatthewAtStagelight just noticed something new which might help with the bug - delay effects are out of time in the same way. Eg. If I use Dubstation or RP-1 on my iPhone X or iPad Pro with sync turned on, the repeats are off beat by a little bit. On iPad Pro with headphone adapter in, timing is perfect, exactly the same as the out of tune thing.

Hope that helps you get to the bottom of this. I’m amazed more people aren’t complaining about this to be honest. I can’t be the only one using iPhone X or new iPad Pro 🤷‍♂️

• edited January 2019

@gregsmith said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight just noticed something new which might help with the bug - delay effects are out of time in the same way. Eg. If I use Dubstation or RP-1 on my iPhone X or iPad Pro with sync turned on, the repeats are off beat by a little bit. On iPad Pro with headphone adapter in, timing is perfect, exactly the same as the out of tune thing.

Hope that helps you get to the bottom of this. I’m amazed more people aren’t complaining about this to be honest. I surely can’t be the only one using iPhone X or new iPad Pro 🤷‍♂️

Please delete this. I double posted by mistake

• @gregsmith said:

@hellquist said:

These features would really push SL ahead of other daws as far as I know. It’s also hard to do I think with lots of factors to take into consideration.

Yes, well, it sure would be great features. It already exists in Auria Pro, MultitrackStudio and N-Trak, as well as in Nanostudio 2, so would be good to have in Stagelight too for sure.

• @hellquist said:

@gregsmith said:

@hellquist said:

Yes, well, it sure would be great features. It already exists in Auria Pro, MultitrackStudio and N-Trak, as well as in Nanostudio 2, so would be good to have in Stagelight too for sure.

Ah didn’t realise it was in all of those :) I thought it was really hard to handle changes of tempo and time signatures on iOS.

I’ve found a workaround to the out of tune bug - just stick discord 4 on the affected tracks and set left and right to -130 and it shifts the pitch so it’s in tune. Will do for now then just remove discord 4 when it’s fixed.

• @hellquist said:

A "half yes" to multiple time signatures, and a "not yet" for multiple tempos per song.

For multiple time signatures, you must set the desired time signature then create new patterns in that time signature. Then set the other desired time signature, and add additional patterns at that signature. Not great and definitely will be improved, but it works.

@hellquist said:

A "half yes" to multiple time signatures, and a "not yet" for multiple tempos per song.

For multiple time signatures, you must set the desired time signature then create new patterns in that time signature. Then set the other desired time signature, and add additional patterns at that signature. Not great and definitely will be improved, but it works.

Ah, cool, thanks. Yes, would be great if it was improved too, but now I know how it works at least. :)

• That’s why Stageligjt is such a good bet . If there’s a feature you want that it’s lacking, chances are it’s gonna be implemented before too long ..not to mention that new video tutorial series.

• @Telstar5 said:
    That’s why Stageligjt is such a good bet . If there’s a feature you want that it’s lacking, chances are it’s gonna be implemented before too long ..not to mention that new video tutorial series.

I admire your support and love for the app.😊.
    By then end of This year, I will choose an IOS DAW and run with it for ever.
    I want one close enough to pc daws :
    Better midi handling (midi flex, midi reverse, midi overdubs, midi loop, midi export per track).
    Better audio handling (audio overdubs, loop recording).
    Lots of features to edit audio (crossfades, reverse, stretching, audio wrap...).
    Be able to use and see Playhead in arranging window and midi editor window, audio editor view.
    Be able to change tracks from stereo to mono and viceversa
    Better FileManager (not having to scroll through 1000s of samples but have folders and sub folders)
    Aux/buses.
    Audio routing internally.
    Mixer faders group.
    Track folders ( not vital, but would be handy)
    Marker points
    AFF import and export
    Side chain compressor
    Stable with Audio units effects and instruments
    Having to change daws to do different things is just looong.
    I’d gladly stick to one close enough to the list and learn how to use it to the Max
    If Stagelight gets closer to the list, I’d delete the other apps😂

• Challenge accepted! :-)

In all seriousness, that is a ton of work for any dev to do, but we are committed to improving the app continuously.

@Paa89 said:

@Telstar5 said:
    That’s why Stageligjt is such a good bet . If there’s a feature you want that it’s lacking, chances are it’s gonna be implemented before too long ..not to mention that new video tutorial series.

Better midi handling (midi flex, midi reverse, midi overdubs, midi loop, midi export per track).
    Lots of features to edit audio (crossfades, reverse, stretching, audio wrap...).
    Be able to use and see Playhead in arranging window and midi editor window, audio editor view.
    Better FileManager (not having to scroll through 1000s of samples but have folders and sub folders)
    Aux/buses.
    Mixer faders group.
    Marker points
    AFF import and export
    Side chain compressor
    I’d gladly stick to one close enough to the list and learn how to use it to the Max

Challenge accepted! :-)

In all seriousness, that is a ton of work for any dev to do, but we are committed to improving the app continuously.

Obviously: As evidenced by what just popped up on my feed. Even more great support .
    That file manager idea would be great though.. All in due time ....

• Quick question for @MatthewAtStagelight or anyone else who knows the answer:

Is there a way to automatically launch ALL of the clips in a column once a single clip in a column starts recording (i.e., after the count-in that comes when I press the record button on a clip)?

E.g.:I have a drum track with a clip in column A, and a bass track with a clip in column A, and I want to record a melody into a new clip on column A on a new keyboard track. When I press record on that empty clip, can I have the drum and bass clips launch at the end of my count-in so that they start playing back when I start recording, keeping everything in sync?

Live works this way by default, and it's really helpful. Unless I'm missing something, to record a new clip alongside other clips in a column, I have to either start the new clip recording and THEN launch the existing clips (which means the new clip is going to start late on playback and necessitate changing the clip start/end points after the fact), OR launch the existing clips and then start the new clip recording (which means I have to wait for the existing clips to loop around before I start playing the new clip in sync, something that's a killer when you're trying to get a melody out of your head and you're working with a fairly long loop).

• Not without manually pressing play on the Song Part's play button... I too want this ability, at the very least as an option in our Settings.

@legsmechanical said:
    Quick question for @MatthewAtStagelight or anyone else who knows the answer:

Is there a way to automatically launch ALL of the clips in a column once a single clip in a column starts recording (i.e., after the count-in that comes when I press the record button on a clip)?

E.g.:I have a drum track with a clip in column A, and a bass track with a clip in column A, and I want to record a melody into a new clip on column A on a new keyboard track. When I press record on that empty clip, can I have the drum and bass clips launch at the end of my count-in so that they start playing back when I start recording, keeping everything in sync?

Live works this way by default, and it's really helpful. Unless I'm missing something, to record a new clip alongside other clips in a column, I have to either start the new clip recording and THEN launch the existing clips (which means the new clip is going to start late on playback and necessitate changing the clip start/end points after the fact), OR launch the existing clips and then start the new clip recording (which means I have to wait for the existing clips to loop around before I start playing the new clip in sync, something that's a killer when you're trying to get a melody out of your head and you're working with a fairly long loop).

Challenge accepted! :-)

@Paa89 said:

@Telstar5 said:

Aux/buses.
    Mixer faders group.
    Marker points
    AFF import and export
    Side chain compressor

Stagelight is on a right route.most of the features mentioned are already in the app.just have to work on the audio editing side a lil bit.

• edited January 2019

@MatthewAtStagelight I think I've either found an issue, or I have a misunderstanding about sends. I have 2 tracks, one panned left, one right, and I've send them both to a filter send with the send amount at 100% on each track. When I mute the send track, I can still hear the 2 standard tracks. Is this right? I would have thought with them both sent 100% to the send track, that this would effectively mute them?

• edited January 2019

@gregsmith said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight I think I've either found an issue, or I have a misunderstanding about sends. I have 2 tracks, one panned left, one right, and I've send them both to a filter send with the send amount at 100% on each track. When I mute the send track, I can still hear the 2 standard tracks. Is this right? I would have thought with them both sent 100% to the send track, that this would effectively mute them?

This is because this not a group, but signal is sent to an aux/return track. Two different things. This is like in AUM if you send signal to a bus via a node or via the track output, the behavior will differ too. The aux/return track signal is parallel to track sender signal so muting aux track will not mute original track. If you want to have a group behavior, you have to set both original tracks to pre send audio, then mute original tracks. Then aux/return track muting will works on tracks senders. But as it’s a pre fader system, you will have to set tracks senders levels via aux sends sliders instead of faders.

Choose pre fader setting

mute source track

Set level with source track aux send slider, here chorus (in green)

• @gregsmith said:

@Janosax is correct. Sends are parallel to individual tracks. We will be adding group tracks to Stagelight in the future though!

• @Janosax is ALWAYS correct.. Thanks again, Janosax!

• Update just hit!
    Thanks!

• @Janosax said:

@gregsmith said:

This is because this not a group, but signal is sent to an aux/return track. Two different things. This is like in AUM if you send signal to a bus via a node or via the track output, the behavior will differ too. The aux/return track signal is parallel to track sender signal so muting aux track will not mute original track. If you want to have a group behavior, you have to set both original tracks to pre send audio, then mute original tracks. Then aux/return track muting will works on tracks senders. But as it’s a pre fader system, you will have to set tracks senders levels via aux sends sliders instead of faders.

Choose pre fader setting

mute source track

Set level with source track aux send slider, here chorus (in green)

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I figured it was probably me misunderstanding 😆

• @Janosax : Hiw are you liking this app at this point generally speaking? I know yiubsplit your time between NS2, this and GB band . Thoughts at this point ? Mine are that Open labs seems intent on realizing this app’s full potential, sooner rather than later it seems.

• Does anyone know where I can find the release notes for last update (v. 4.0.5)?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Janosax : Hiw are you liking this app at this point generally speaking? I know yiubsplit your time between NS2, this and GB band . Thoughts at this point ? Mine are that Open labs seems intent on realizing this app’s full potential, sooner rather than later it seems.

I don’t use NS2 yet, waiting for universal release. My DAW workflow is mostly based on GarageBand and audio units (instruments and effects), with Apematrix Gadget and Blocswave using Audiobus or IAA all in sync. I use also a lot Blocswave as an audio recorder with Audiobus and other apps, for export in GB, Loopy or Ableton Live on the laptop. I need a lot audio edition, Link, IAA and proper MPE instruments support (iFretless bass...) to make my sound. So I stick with GB waiting for SL getting all those features and going deeper into it :)