Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Before I buy a Boss RC505...

Is there any app that would make this a foolish purchase?

I have been using Flux:FX for ultra basic MIDI sync'd looping eg. play a 4 bar phrase and loop it.

I have Loopy HD and maybe this is user error but it doesn't seem to work how I want it to.

Comments

• I’ve used and loved all the looper apps but my RC202 is more fun and more impulsively creating jams friendly than all my iOS loopers. I’d say go for it, although I think the 202 is a better buy (and better constructed)

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I’ve used and loved all the looper apps but my RC202 is more fun and more impulsively creating jams friendly than all my iOS loopers. I’d say go for it, although I think the 202 is a better buy (and better constructed)

Just curious, what makes you say the 202 is better constructed? I haven’t spent much time with them, but they look more or less the same superficially.

• @BroCoast said:

I have been using Flux:FX for ultra basic MIDI sync'd looping eg. play a 4 bar phrase and loop it.

I have Loopy HD and maybe this is user error but it doesn't seem to work how I want it to.

Hey there... I’ve been through a million looping iterations... Loops of looping I guess.

I’d really like to know how you’re looping, what you’re looping (instrument, etc) to see if there’s anything I could learn.

I got sick of hacking stuff on the iPad. It’s the most “powerful” way to do it, but fragile. Easiest setup was to use Bram’s kosmonaut’s Sos looper (with midi you can set tape length > 8 beats), then something Turnado after it for all the FSU stuff.

My hang ups are that I need Uber-tight tempo syncing, as well as a looper that will kill the incoming sound once you “close” the loop (I typically play into multiple tempo sync’d delays to create a groove, get something I like then loop it). I don’t like the “press to start looping and press to end looping” shit. I essentially loop as if it’s a long delay. That’s essentially the way Fripp did it... long tape loops... not sure why it’s so hard to find loopers that work that way. Tape delays are typically limited to a few beats. I want a high quality delay pedal that can do 4 measures as its loop period.

Most times when I play, I have no idea where “one” will be... so even on the RC505 with set loop lengths, it wasn’t really perfect. That’s why I sent it back.

The cheapest alternative is a Zoom ms-cdr. You can tap tempo and have delays set to note values. At tempos above like 120 you can get 8 qtr notes. If you set one as the first slot, with carry over turned on, it’s essentially a 2 bar looper. Then you can put the other fx, more delays, etc after it. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s the cheapest way I’ve found. I modified a few so I can have them on a rack, but use external footswitches plugged into them to turn fx on off, etc.

• @gmslayton said:
    Quantiloop

Thanks I'll give it another try.

@Gaia.Tree said:
    I’ve used and loved all the looper apps but my RC202 is more fun and more impulsively creating jams friendly than all my iOS loopers. I’d say go for it, although I think the 202 is a better buy (and better constructed)

Cool, yeah I have a friends 505 on loan at the moment and don't have to think it just flows. I'll check out the 202 as it might be enough for my style of overdubs. Thanks!

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@BroCoast said:

Hey there... I’ve been through a million looping iterations... Loops of looping I guess.

I’d really like to know how you’re looping, what you’re looping (instrument, etc) to see if there’s anything I could learn.

I got sick of hacking stuff on the iPad. It’s the most “powerful” way to do it, but fragile. Easiest setup was to use Bram’s kosmonaut’s Sos looper (with midi you can set tape length > 8 beats), then something Turnado after it for all the FSU stuff.

My hang ups are that I need Uber-tight tempo syncing, as well as a looper that will kill the incoming sound once you “close” the loop (I typically play into multiple tempo sync’d delays to create a groove, get something I like then loop it). I don’t like the “press to start looping and press to end looping” shit. I essentially loop as if it’s a long delay. That’s essentially the way Fripp did it... long tape loops... not sure why it’s so hard to find loopers that work that way. Tape delays are typically limited to a few beats. I want a high quality delay pedal that can do 4 measures as its loop period.

Most times when I play, I have no idea where “one” will be... so even on the RC505 with set loop lengths, it wasn’t really perfect. That’s why I sent it back.

The cheapest alternative is a Zoom ms-cdr. You can tap tempo and have delays set to note values. At tempos above like 120 you can get 8 qtr notes. If you set one as the first slot, with carry over turned on, it’s essentially a 2 bar looper. Then you can put the other fx, more delays, etc after it. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s the cheapest way I’ve found. I modified a few so I can have them on a rack, but use external footswitches plugged into them to turn fx on off, etc.

Well I started out doing the Frippertronics thing and haven't really found anything that comes close to that way. Flux is similar with not having to hit buttons but it has a lot of limitations (needs to be above 120bpm for 4 measures.)

I'm going to experiment with Quantiloop into Flux for the FSU. I think I'm kind of burnt out with trying to do this stuff on iOS though hence the 505 idea.

Essentially my style is to use a few mono synths sequenced or arpeggiated, build up a few layers of that then overdub guitar and other instruments. I really want the freedom to start from anywhere rather than having to adhere to a predefined flow. I'll look into the Zoom idea too.

• @handed said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Just curious, what makes you say the 202 is better constructed? I haven’t spent much time with them, but they look more or less the same superficially.

I’ve owned both and the 505 is huge flimsy and 100% plastic. The 202 has a solid metal bottom and doesn’t feel
    Near as flimsy. And by being smaller it has less area to feel flexy like the big boy. The track sliders being gone adds to the build quality as well, since those always felt like they could snap at a moments notice.

• @BroCoast said:

Essentially my style is to use a few mono synths sequenced or arpeggiated, build up a few layers of that then overdub guitar and other instruments. I really want the freedom to start from anywhere rather than having to adhere to a predefined flow. I'll look into the Zoom idea too.

Sounds like we’re kinda in the same zone. It just seems most looping devices and apps are based around traditional song structures like verse/chorus if they have any concept of tempo, or they are free-form “ambient “ oriented... hard to find a good fit.

Some day I may venture into figuring out Mobius. That’s supposed to be awesome.

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@handed said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

I’ve owned both and the 505 is huge flimsy and 100% plastic. The 202 has a solid metal bottom and doesn’t feel
    Near as flimsy. And by being smaller it has less area to feel flexy like the big boy. The track sliders being gone adds to the build quality as well, since those always felt like they could snap at a moments notice.

Haha I should of read this. I had the 202 in my cart ready to purchase then cancelled thinking the 505 had a lot more with the sliders etc.

202 it is!

• If you want a simple set up with few loops with no bells and whistles go for any of the popular hardware loopers based on the number of tracks etc. The ability plug and play and general stability will always trump a software set up.

If you want more fancy routing with loops running into post looper effects, sync it with other gear and have flexible looping times (decide the length of any loop on the fly) etc, go with software.

• Hardware even for experimental stuff if you are “plugn’play” person. It’s instant gratification for sure.
    About infinite delay looper there are some with “dub” word on it (I’ can’t remember ATM) and also Fieldscapper and other from the same dev.

Sorry I’m bit tired lately and my mind can’t reach the names... :sweat_smile:

• @MonkeyDrummer “fragile” is the best word I’ve ever heard to describe my experience with iOS.

The 505 is great. It does what it says, and what it seems to do. You really have to read the manual cover to cover, to learn what all the little options in the menus do, but that’s not a count against it.

I like the effects options (pre and post loop) and 5 tracks with physical volume faders for each. You can DJ your loops after you record them.

I originally bought it because you can midi clock slave it, but I reworked the table of stuff for it to be the master. I think the only scenario where you would have to slave it is if you were recording into a DAW, or needed to sync to another looper that didn’t slave right.

I don’t think it is crazy to buy one, if you can afford it. If it is a stretch, don’t trip that you have to have it- I do think you could do very similar stuff with loopy and a dedicated midi controller, with a foot switch. The midi implementation of loopy is really impressive, and it slaves like a dream. Michael is a good programmer. There’s lots of cool shit you can do with iOS effects and loopy, because you can send each loop out separately to audiobus, or AUM.

• edited February 2019

I’ve just run through RC500’s manual. It obviously is an impressive piece of kit so if you want a smooth sail you should definitely get one. Especially with the ability to connect foot controllers and sync with other gear.

I’d be all over it if it wasn’t for the fact that I just love Turnado and put it on my loops like there’s no tomorrow. Also Samplr is one other app I couldn’t live without.

Audiobus and Loopy integration is fantastic and latest AB 3 updates make it a monster for live use, but don’t listen to me as I’m obviously a fan boy. ;)

In the end the choice will depend a lot on how you’re intending to use it.

There’s also an option to get rc 500, try it out and return if it doesn’t click with you. Just make sure to report back. :)

• edited February 2019

Personally I look at the RC505 demos and tutorials and I start dreaming about:

• MIDI Designer Pro
    • my AKAI MPK 49
    • Turnado
    • Loopy HD
    • AUM for effects sends

and I could build the same exact machine for $499 less expense, since I have the above apps and equipment already. and it would be more fun (for me, at least).

Of course, if it is more fun for you to just spend the money and start playing... well, go for it!

• Maybe if you already have some investments in iOS, then the RC202 could find a good place. A little cheaper, still loads of fun, could integrate it with loopy or quantiloop.

Maybe with the right audio interface, you could send audio to the RC202 for loops, have it sync with whatever iOS looper or drum machine you want, and the route the audio back into the interface for even more effects and fun.

Another note, there are tons of older midi controllers that could work as great table top loop controllers. What if a developer made a looper, kind of like loopy meets quantiloop meets launchpad but the interface was modular. As in, you could change the interface to mimic the controller you were using.

• edited February 2019

Have the 505.
    I shouldn't tell you my secrets but...
    Here's what it does for the iPad:

Setup:
    Audio in from iPad, choose to not "pass thru" audio live.
    Midi out from the iPad into Midi in on the 505.
    Loop length set to auto.

Using Blocs or other sequence type apps like Sector or Patterning, I can record, without flaw, loops into the 505, switch patterns and such on the iPad (with Ableton Link always clocking with Link to Midi app), record new loops on available tracks or overdub, erase tracks and record new ones, and mix/cut live with my iPad audio. I have a small mixer so I can get audio straight from my iPad so I don't have to change the thru setting. Just a whole bunch of fun. Short and long loops working together, making new live compositions from bits and pieces of previously programmed material.

It's pretty awesome.
    But I didn't tell you that secret.

• s> @FlightManual said:

Have the 505.
    I shouldn't tell you my secrets but...
    Here's what it does for the iPad:

Setup:
    Audio in from iPad, choose to not "pass thru" audio live.
    Midi out from the iPad into Midi in on the 505.
    Loop length set to auto.

Using Blocs or other sequence type apps like Sector or Patterning, I can record, without flaw, loops into the 505, switch patterns and such on the iPad (with Ableton Link always clocking with Link to Midi app), record new loops on available tracks or overdub, erase tracks and record new ones, and mix/cut live with my iPad audio. I have a small mixer so I can get audio straight from my iPad so I don't have to change the thru setting. Just a whole bunch of fun. Short and long loops working together, making new live compositions from bits and pieces of previously programmed material.

It's pretty awesome.
    But I didn't tell you that secret.

You just described what I'll be doing lol.

@Hmtx said:

• MIDI Designer Pro
    • my AKAI MPK 49
    • Turnado
    • Loopy HD
    • AUM for effects sends

and I could build the same exact machine for $499 less expense, since I have the above apps and equipment already. and it would be more fun (for me, at least).

Of course, if it is more fun for you to just spend the money and start playing... well, go for it!

Sure I could do that and achieve the same results. The thing with iOS though is I find it mentally draining and a state of constant troubleshooting. Yeah you can set it up properly, save all the settings and it's no problem but there is always one asshole app pissing in the pool and ruining the party.

I'd rather use the processing power to just run multiple instrument apps. Watching Marc Rebillet use the 505 instantly made up my mind that I would get along with the hardware better.

• @BroCoast said:
    Watching Marc Rebillet use the 505 instantly made up my mind that I would get along with the hardware better.

Lol, very convincing performance. :lol: :+1: not the first time I had seen that but it’s great

• @Hmtx said:

• MIDI Designer Pro
    • my AKAI MPK 49
    • Turnado
    • Loopy HD
    • AUM for effects sends

hahaha... I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you... :) I kept getting stuck in that track... "But there's so much powerful shit in iOS and it's so cheap! Why should I but a damn delay pedal that costs as much as an entire new iPad?!!"

I figure I've wasted several hundred dollars, have a shit-load of midi controllers (ALL of them have a fatal flaw that keeps them from being "the one") and like 8 months all because I'm a cheap bastard... Makes no sense.

If you want multi-track looping that's tempo synced, in stereo, with FX... There's nothing at all but the RC-505. You will not replicate it in a real-life, usable, stable, repeatable fashion on IOS... Mayyybe on a PC with Mobius, but I've not tried that route yet.

• @Hmtx said:

@BroCoast said:
    Watching Marc Rebillet use the 505 instantly made up my mind that I would get along with the hardware better.

Lol, very convincing performance. :lol: :+1: not the first time I had seen that but it’s great

I had no idea Napoleon Dynamite's brother was a live looper...

• I hear ya @MonkeyDrummer

mobius is good but I haven’t touched it since I found Loopy. But I was always looking form something more simple originally.

• @BroCoast I came here to mention Marc Rebillet as well, he's the master of the 505!

He talks about why he likes it a length on his web site.
    https://www.marcrebillet.com/about/

• I went with the 202. Good fun!

• Looks fun, have you been playing gigs with it?

• Just got it today. Hopefully do some gigs soon. :)

• Congrats, looks like a lot of fun :-)

And I’m also taking this thread as a challenge to build the iOS equivalent of a RC505 and see what happens. It will be a while but stay tuned.

• That does look fun, I'd be tempted if I had the cash.

• @BroCoast said:

If my Digitone didn’t just get here yesterday I would love to get one.

• I’ve been pro and conning all day because of this thread, here’s some
    Majors, comparing Quantiloop with a midi controller and interface to RC202

RC202 PROs:
    -Quick and easy jamming
    -Overdub/replace button easily accessible , quick
    -Glitch resampling easily done (beat repeat,scatter and shift can be resampled per loop on overdub)
    -all operations are quick, fast pattern and bank switching etc etc can be done without breaking musical flow
    -smooth reverse algorithms
    -a few FX that I don’t really have a good replacement for on iOS (guitar to bass I use quite a bit)

RC202 CONS:
    -Worse sound quality
    -No way to put a limiter on the master (for a beatboxer this can be tough, my
    Plosives are really loud sometimes)
    -worse FX quality, reverb is metallic etc... I have far better Fx on IOS
    -needs bulky battery pack for portability
    -no master volume easily accessible, have to menu dive a little to turn it down

iOS looping PROS
    -Better sound quality
    - can have limiter on master to tame plosives (still not perfect)
    - can export loops to Samplr, Egoist etc
    - Much better fx quality especially reverbs
    - Portability, no bulky battery pack needed
    - Can be recorded internally with no field recorder (host QL in AUM and record)
    - With interface, easy to adjust output volume with a dedicated knob
    - LOOP DECAY!!!
    - -TURNADO

iOS looping CONS:
    -Nowhere near as fast to set up and get jamming, slightly more cable spaghetti
    -not as easy to dramatically Change loop with glitch resampling
    -no dedicAted physical buttons for several functions depending on midi controller
    - no overdub/replace easy switching , menu diving for that...

I might update later with more if I think of more. It’s valuable to me to have both setups at this point

• I'd add stability as an iOS CON, especially for live situations.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I’ve been pro and conning all day because of this thread, here’s some
    Majors, comparing Quantiloop with a midi controller and interface to RC202

RC202 PROs:
    -Quick and easy jamming
    -Overdub/replace button easily accessible , quick
    -Glitch resampling easily done (beat repeat,scatter and shift can be resampled per loop on overdub)
    -all operations are quick, fast pattern and bank switching etc etc can be done without breaking musical flow
    -smooth reverse algorithms
    -a few FX that I don’t really have a good replacement for on iOS (guitar to bass I use quite a bit)

RC202 CONS:
    -Worse sound quality
    -No way to put a limiter on the master (for a beatboxer this can be tough, my
    Plosives are really loud sometimes)
    -worse FX quality, reverb is metallic etc... I have far better Fx on IOS
    -needs bulky battery pack for portability
    -no master volume easily accessible, have to menu dive a little to turn it down

iOS looping PROS
    -Better sound quality
    - can have limiter on master to tame plosives (still not perfect)
    - can export loops to Samplr, Egoist etc
    - Much better fx quality especially reverbs
    - Portability, no bulky battery pack needed
    - Can be recorded internally with no field recorder (host QL in AUM and record)
    - With interface, easy to adjust output volume with a dedicated knob
    - LOOP DECAY!!!
    - -TURNADO

iOS looping CONS:
    -Nowhere near as fast to set up and get jamming, slightly more cable spaghetti
    -not as easy to dramatically Change loop with glitch resampling
    -no dedicAted physical buttons for several functions depending on midi controller
    - no overdub/replace easy switching , menu diving for that...

I might update later with more if I think of more. It’s valuable to me to have both setups at this point

The sound is definitely not great. One thing I find annoying on the 202 is I have accidentally switched banks/patterns a few times. The noise gate on the mic input is really bad!

I could see a combination of a 202 and Quantiloop being the best of both worlds. Then there is always a stable backup.