Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Perfect Pop Song

encenc
edited January 2019 in Other

Vince Clarke recently disclosed his perfect Pop Song ... The Buggles, Video Killed the radio star.

The following comes pretty close for me ... I guess one mans caviar is another man's cheese :D

Comments

• Hard to beat ABBA when it comes to pop songs.

• For modern pop, I definitely recommend Sia. "Chandelier" is one of the best things to hit the radio in the past 5 years.

• 'Perfect' pop song, you say? There's no contest....

• You synth nerds are killing me. ;)

• Kylie, I say.

• Fair enough. Here's a perfect 'non-synth' pop song:

• This is probably the only subject I ever talk definitively on, so beware. Kylie is a very good choice, and often nearly hits the ideal on her first two albums (except for the schmaltz detour on album 2) and Fever.

But there are two potential greatest pop songs of all time. The first uses all the arrangement ideals of Western music impeccably, has a cultural weight to it with the use of 'God' in the title, has a verse melody that seems so natural but is so sublime, and closes in a round that can still bring me to tears hundreds of times after originally hearing it. It's the sentimental choice.

The second is the absolute shock of this guy with a personality. Simple as that. You want pure fun, pure partying and sex out of a song written to make you feel good, while still maintaining a somewhat wholesome message, this is it.

• Carly Rae Jepsen 'Emotion' and Robyn 'Honey' are the only two albums of the past several years to approach the ideal high from a pop song and do it almost 100% throughout the album

• @Telstar5 said:

A good one

• Tarzan Boy: still unbeatable.

• This comes to mind...

• John Peel defined this for himself as being The Undertones / Teenage Kicks.

I don’t think this song specifically is, for me, but I’m not against his notion either.

• edited January 2019

I mean, how do you decide on one? And the next day it’d be a different decision.
    I consider this to be the essence of a pop song in all the ways – the whole package:

Mike Oldfield / Moonlight Shadow
    (Here, live, with Pepsi from Pepsi+Shirley, by the way)

But then, I think this is too:

Alison Moyet / Love Resurrection

But then, this is a contender:

Pretenders / Talk of the Town

And also, this – one of the poorest selling of his, but in my opinion, the best constructed song of his (unpopular opinion I know):
    Elton John / Philadelphia Freedom

Of course, maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner, but this comes top in votes such as this all the time:
    The Kinks / Waterloo Sunset

Except I actually think this is the better perfect pop song of theirs:
    The Kinks / Lola

And so many more…

• Did someone say Kylie?

• The Replacements (see above) is a bit of left-field choice for a Pop song list IMO, but I'm very partial to this one:

• edited January 2019

But my actual personal favourite Perfect Pop Song is this, I especially like the way that the same hook is used in so many different places: the main vocal melody, the synth line, and then in the backing vocals.

• @richardyot said:
    But my actual personal favourite Perfect Pop Song is this, I especially like the way that the same hook is used in so many different places: the main vocal melody, the synth line, and then in the backing vocals.

Excellent choice.
    Here’s mine ...

• Culture club - karma chameleon

• Very difficult, and as @u0421793 says, different decisions at different times...agree with most of what's here already...thought I'd throw these 2 into the mix

• @oat_phipps said:
    This is probably the only subject I ever talk definitively on, so beware. Kylie

There's the odd song or two but in my opinion, A very privileged career for one with such a limited vocal range.

• Only You by Yazoo...

• @lasselu said:
    Only You by Yazoo...

Nobody’s Diary

• This is the closest to perfect pop Westerberg and the boys ever got ..and it’s bloody glorious

• The Pretenders - Kid

• Joe Jackson - Stepping Out

• @oat_phipps said:
    Carly Rae Jepsen 'Emotion' and Robyn 'Honey' are the only two albums of the past several years to approach the ideal high from a pop song and do it almost 100% throughout the album

Carly's 'Emotion' album is pretty much sublime, from the neo-80s/vaporwave/synthwave aesthetic of most of her tracks to the lyrics. My favourite lyric from her album is "Boy Problems" because of the playful use of POV. Hard to determine a favourite song in regards to the "full package", but who doesn't love "I Really Love You" as the perfect package. The video with Tom Hanks was something I don't think ever done in a music video before (the video consisting mostly of a celebrity/someone else lip syncing the music imperfectly as if he were rehearsing for the "real" music video).

I've never heard Robyn's "Honey" album yet, but now I got it loaded up into Spotify. Cheers mate. :)