Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need some advice

Need help ya’ll

Seriously craving a hardware synth. Think it’s between - MiniBrute, microbrute, minilogue, Moog mother 32. Basically around the £500 quid range. Any good advice would be grateful, I just can’t make mind up.
I also need a lowdown on connecting chosen hardware to my iPad for recording, what cabling & audio interface do I need (I’m a complete rookie when it comes to hardware).
As I said watched endless vids & and read a few threads on this forum regarding above.

Helllllllllp!

Comments

• edited January 2019

Arturia MicroFreak + Behrenger Model D

Or a Neutron + Crave as a starter modular combo

• I think the best bang for the buck in that range is either Deepmind 12 or Minilogue XD .. Both are incredible value; I’d suggest listening to some youtube factory preset demos and go with what sounds best to you. Deepmind has much better effects , more range but a lot of menu diving, compared to the lush and beutiful sounding XD which is much more straight forward to program.

For the same price as one mother-32, I’d much rather have both the Behringer Neutron and Crave - over twice the capability. Just stock up on patch cables, those are hella fun entry into the world of modular ;)

you’ll want one or two TS cables, depending on how many outputs your synth has. NI Komplete Audio 6 is a great starter interface with midi and enough I/O to get you started - probably a good idea to look for a used one on reverb. I now use an iConnectMidi4+ along with a Motu Ultralite but back when I first started recording on iOS , I followed an guide I found online that recommended not only the apple camera connection kit, but also a powered hub , battery pack and splitter, since presumably the ipad wouldn’t always power the Komplete Audio 6 on its own, without assistance. unfortunately I can’t find that particular article now — so maybe someone else can recommend what’s best for connectivity.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I think the best bang for the buck in that range is either Deepmind 12 or Minilogue XD .. Both are incredible value; I’d suggest listening to some youtube factory preset demos and go with what sounds best to you. Deepmind has much better effects , more range but a lot of menu diving, compared to the lush and beutiful sounding XD which is much more straight forward to program.

For the same price as one mother-32, I’d much rather have both the Behringer Neutron and Crave - over twice the capability. Just stock up on patch cables, those are hella fun entry into the world of modular ;)

you’ll want one or two TS cables, depending on how many outputs your synth has. NI Komplete Audio 6 is a great starter interface with midi and enough I/O to get you started - probably a good idea to look for a used one on reverb. I now use an iConnectMidi4+ along with a Motu Ultralite but back when I first started recording on iOS , I followed an guide I found online that recommended not only the apple camera connection kit, but also a powered hub , battery pack and splitter, since presumably the ipad wouldn’t always power the Komplete Audio 6 on its own, without assistance. unfortunately I can’t find that particular article now — so maybe someone else can recommend what’s best for connectivity.

Ok thnkx for info, really grateful for advice,still feel a tiny bit confused about what way I should swing. Still wondering. Thanks so much so far

• @barabajagal said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I think the best bang for the buck in that range is either Deepmind 12 or Minilogue XD .. Both are incredible value; I’d suggest listening to some youtube factory preset demos and go with what sounds best to you. Deepmind has much better effects , more range but a lot of menu diving, compared to the lush and beutiful sounding XD which is much more straight forward to program.

Ok thnkx for info, really grateful for advice,still feel a tiny bit confused about what way I should swing. Still wondering. Thanks so much so far

I won't get into iPad connectivity...all you need is a compatible interface, and that's a whole big discussion.

But in deciding on a hardware synth, easily the most important question is do you want/need a polyphonic synth or a monophonic synth. The only one you listed that is polyphonic is the Minilogue, and it has a mono mode as well so you can get glide/portamento going.

It may take 20 minutes of video per synth, but you're best off youtubing each synth, getting an overview of the features, hearing each one in action (preferably without effects) and figuring out what will work best and be the most fun AND most useful for you.

• @oat_phipps said:

@barabajagal said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I won't get into iPad connectivity...all you need is a compatible interface, and that's a whole big discussion.

But in deciding on a hardware synth, easily the most important question is do you want/need a polyphonic synth or a monophonic synth. The only one you listed that is polyphonic is the Minilogue, and it has a mono mode as well so you can get glide/portamento going.

It may take 20 minutes of video per synth, but you're best off youtubing each synth, getting an overview of the features, hearing each one in action (preferably without effects) and figuring out what will work best and be the most fun AND most useful for you.

I hear you , it’s just tough . My musical outpourings arejust different every time & I just can decide which way to roll. Even more difficult when you post when u r half drunk and decide to canvas opinions 😛 on such matters!!

• @barabajagal said:

@oat_phipps said:

@barabajagal said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

I hear you , it’s just tough . My musical outpourings arejust different every time & I just can decide which way to roll. Even more difficult when you post when u r half drunk and decide to canvas opinions 😛 on such matters!!

I find it better to watch the vids and get a feel while drinking and to get others opinions (if necessary, most people are pretty honest while drinking) while sober.

• edited January 2019

@barabajagal said:
    Need help ya’ll

Seriously craving a hardware synth. Think it’s between - MiniBrute, microbrute, minilogue, Moog mother 32. Basically around the £500 quid range. Any good advice would be grateful, I just can’t make mind up.
    I also need a lowdown on connecting chosen hardware to my iPad for recording, what cabling & audio interface do I need (I’m a complete rookie when it comes to hardware).
    As I said watched endless vids & and read a few threads on this forum regarding above.

Helllllllllp!

It can be a good idea to ask yourself what you really expect from a hardware synth.
    A lot of people often buy and sell stuff just to find that the initial excitement for a new synth, or should I call it G.A.S., doesn't hold for long.
    My own most critical questions would be:

• How much value does the hands-on control add?
    • Does it have to be polyphonic or am I fine with sampling or Loopy-ing it and playing it polyphonically e.g. on the iPad?
    • Do I want to give up desktop space for it?

It's been a long time that I purchased a synth, but I find the newly announced Arturia MicroFreak quite interesting because I think that the new oscillator combined with apparently just the right controls and an expressive keyboard could really add something new to my rig. So many new synths just copy the same classic architecture over and over again, I'm getting tired of it.

• Any of those would be good. Try and get to a real shop and try them out.

• Just pick any one, it doesn’t matter.

A year or so later, you can sell of the remaining 25 or so synths you didn’t end up using much.